• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

48 years a 2002 owner

As of Wednesday I've owned 2002s continuously for 48 years.  I took delivery of my Nevada '69 on 3 May 1969 from Bavarian Motors in Queens--and still have it.  It was the 40th "second series" '69 off the assembly line, complete with short neck differential, three speed heater blower etc, and one of the last 400 built with a six bolt crankshaft, coil spring pressure plate and an adjustable clutch slave cylinder pushrod. 

I bought my Sahara '73 here in Beavercreek in June 1978 from its original owner (who bought it new from Mill Valley Imports in California) and still have it too.  

Haven't used up all my fun quotient yet, so guess I'll just keep driving 'em.  

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you for sharing, Mike...That is so incredibly awesome that you still own a 1969 02 that you bought new...Wow, it doesn't get more real than that! Do you remember the day that you picked the car up? Can you share any insight into the experience that special day and leading up to it? Were there other cars that you had considered prior to the purchase, or was your heart set on the 2002? Anything that might take us back to that moment and to how you got there would be really cool, at least it would be for me...

COOP

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! That is a great loyalty story and loved reading your post. The fact that you still have your original '69 O=00=O is really, really awesome most of all,

I feel good about continually owning a 2=00=2 for 42-years but none of my 02's were purchased new like you but adopted. I lost my first one from '75 in '86 (totaled but kept the car for parts Colorado) then within a few weeks got another '72 (Agave) that was a one owner military purchase in Germany in 1972 and ended up in El Paso/Fort Bliss and I drove it back 2200 miles to NE Ohio. Five years later found another '73 02tii also in El Paso and drove it back too, both were adventure drives that some day I'll write a story about.

Again Mike CONGRATS and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Birthday Milestone Wishes 2O=00=O 2-YOU and your 02's

Mike-2O=00=O2

Congratulations, Mike,

There's not a lot of people who can celebrate that milestone: it's really quite amazing!

And at what point did you plan to -- or simply realize that you might, in fact -- keep the '69 for the rest of your life?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

wow, that's a great record Mike. How many miles on the car now?

That car is just about as old as me

I can't imaging picking up a brand new 2002, blows my mind

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

yes, quite an accomplishment, you have me beat by at least 18 years, and I did not pick up my car new either.

We met years ago at St Louis, Tech event , don't recall the exact name of that event, but you, Jim Rowe, others discussing engines to rust (Mike's topic), among other topics.

I will though offer up this, I have only owned 5 cars in my 42 years of driving, none newer than the one I owe today, a 1974 BMW 2002. And the only car I presently own - so a daily driver !

my years driving to cars owned ratio = 8.4 !

my years of driving BMW 2002s (exclusively) 30/2 = 15 years on average.

Per your requests, here's a brief story of how I came to buy an '02.

I saw one of the first 1600s at Ralph Schomp Imports in Denver (they're still there AFAIK) in the fall of 1967.  What impressed me about the 1600 was the fit and finish were identical to the 2000CS they had, at twice the price.  Unfortunately,the 1600s they had were 6 volt; having owned two 6v cars in cold winters, I didn't want another.  Besides, there were rumors of a 2 liter version to come.  

In the spring of 1968, a fellow AF lieutenant bought what had to be one of the first 2002s off the boat.  I rode in it and drove it; I was hooked.  Had to have one.  That winter I started getting serious, even writing to Hoffman motors with detailed questions about how I could equip my '02 (I still have the correspondence.)  The only other car in the running was (don't laugh) a Fiat 124 coupe; however, when the dealer's demo wouldn't start one cold upstate New York morning, I scratched the Fiat off my list and in January ordered a new 2002--Nevada with a sunroof and Michelin XAS tires.  $3452:  no discount.  Then a dock strike shut off all imports until May, thus delivery that month.

It was our family go-on-vacations car until 1978, when we bought a 5 year old sunroof '73 from the original owner--with air conditioning.  At least that's what was claimed.  It became our vacation car and wife's daily driver (she wanted A/C) until she decided that she couldn't live another day without a nice, new Buick Century (this was 1985).  I knew the Buick dealer wouldn't give me squat for either BMW, so I kept 'em both:  the 69 for winter, the 73 for summer.  I pretty much kept ahead of the rust on the '69, but by 1999, it was ready for the last of the rust removal and new paint.  That was all finished by 2000, and it hasn't seen a winter since.  While the paint and bumper chrome are new, the interior and trim is mostly original, as is the engine (a valve job at 157k).  I plan to take it to the BMW CCA Oktoberfest next year, as it'll be the 50th anniversary of the 2002, and there aren't too many of us original owners left.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

cheers

mike  

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I remember being a little boy, going to a BMW dealership in Queens with my Dad to drool over the cars. Was Bavarian Motors in Queens Plaza, under the El?

Had my first ride in a 1600-2, reportedly sitting in the salesman's lap while my father flogged it around the back streets. Alas, it would be 18 more years before I bought the family's first BMW - a 75 2002. Dad had bought a 1969 Mercedes instead.

Congratulations, Mike, on your long-term ownership! (My first 02 has long since gone to the scrap heap, but I've always had at least one in the fleet for the last 30 years)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian McCarthy

74 Golf 2002

90 Gletscherblau 735i

01 A***

02 M***

Congratulations.  Nice story about getting the first one.  I would wish you another 48 years of '02 ownership but that's probably unrealistic so I'll wish another 30 years of '02 ownership for you.

Got my 1st one in '02 but haven't owned one contentiously since then.

Thank you for sharing that fantastic background story, Mike. It actually enhanced my entire 2002 experience in a way, just how it brought my imagination vividly back to when these cars were new, even though I wasn't around. Much appreciated!

COOP

Congrats Mike!  You have also helped many of us over the years with your "02 Wisdom"!  I am celebrating 20 years this year with my 1st '02 (my '73tii - "Atlantik").  My how time flies!

All the best,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Congrats Mike.  

In 1969 my dad bought his first brand new car, a 69 Ford Torino GT. I wish he had kept it. I started getting into cars when I was 15 (back in 79) and would have died for one of those 320i's that were running around all over so-cal.  Then I discovered its predecessor and was hooked, but was never able to afford one. Not even used. Until I was finally able to buy mine in 2012.  Out of all the new and used cars I have ever owned none have become classics or cult cars, and none I have regretted selling (the least being the wife's 86 Cougar, such junk!).  But I can say the 2002 will always have a space in my garage and heart.  

Thanks for for the stories and may you enjoy the cars for many many years to come. 

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg