• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PDR Impossible? Roof Ding.

Hey guys, I have a dent about 3 inches from the top of my wind sheild and in front of the sun roof that 2 PDR guys have said they're not interested in removing. They claim there's no access to get underneath without removing the headliner or they're afraid the glue method will pull the paint off. I understand their hesitation but wanted to get your opinion as well.  Any advice?IMG_7318.thumb.JPG.5c90b7525666f1035e479157207bccee.JPG

IMG_7319.JPG

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

Looks like it shouldn't need any paint work, so PDR alone is possible. However, you'll have to remove the headliner for proper access. It could easily cost a grand when you're all said and done (including headliner removal and reinstallation). Not sure how much it bothers you, but it may be easiest/cost-effective to ignore (if it isn't a show-car).

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Glue might work, I've done similar dents in similar places, but the way the dent looks it might have loosened the paint a little.  I've pulled paint off before too.  But, if you pull the paint off you can fix it the old fashioned way with filter and paint.  Still cheaper than pulling the interior apart.

They might be able to relive the bigger part of the dent but I would bet you would need to fill the 2 dimples,that metal looks pretty stretched IMHO. But I admit I don't keep up on the latest PDR techniques. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

If your car is cosmetically really nice (or if it just looks really nice through your eyes): Spend the coin and find a top-notch PDR guy to do the work right, even if you have to peel back the headliner. You'll be glad you did. I bet the result will be close to perfect.

BTW, what happened? Golf ball?

COOP

Here's what's from inside under your dent:

CIMG0297.JPG.8de1a8f9beb61b4c9135b62b8d5e5d2a.JPG

There's the recess for the crank and in case of a power sunroof a socket for the switch:

P1010478.JPG.7ab2c76805794692b8f25d7b6e85929c.JPG

You should check the exact position of the dent before removing anything since perhaps it won't help.

Hope this helps...

hen

that metal looks pretty stretched

Yup.  I think this one's in the 'live with it' category...

It's a poke.  Probably not done by a pig!

Easy to fill & paint... but that's real money.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yea I think that dent in its location is going to be fixed the old fashioned way. At least you can just paint the roof and it will look great. 

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Maybe paint less dent removal? 

T-Hotbox? 

Seems like a pretty slick dent removal device. Uses heat and a magnet. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I went down to PDX to get PDR PDQ, but the BOV went AFU, and now I'm SOL in TAC....

afaik,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

let me be the bad guy and suggest pulling it as much as you can...  then sanding the area..  skimming it with red bondo filler carefully and then using the dot brush method and touch up paint...  bet once it's wetsanded and buffed you couldn't see it unless you looked for it...  or drop the headliner and fix it properly..   still gonna look funky any way you try...