• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who's up for another round of "guess the sales price?"

walkinfool

Steve, This is awesome and you are not a troublemaker, more a trouble deterrent ! Thank you!!!!

I now have something to do Saturday that will help shed some light on this.

With this thought, does anyone know if the door cards have similar markings  or cards (I am dreading a yes answer and the thought of pulling on them. How about the back seat? I guess I can figure out the back seat easy enough.

I hope I didn't remove the parts cards at some point over the years in cleaning or putting on the seat covers. I have never removed the seats myself, though the driver was removed only recently to repair the hinge.

Thank you again.

7 minutes ago, t0ddness said:

Steve, This is awesome and you are not a troublemaker, more a trouble deterrent ! Thank you!!!!

I now have something to do Saturday that will help shed some light on this.

With this thought, does anyone know if the door cards have similar markings  or cards (I am dreading a yes answer and the thought of pulling on them. How about the back seat? I guess I can figure out the back seat easy enough.

I hope I didn't remove the parts cards at some point over the years in cleaning or putting on the seat covers. I have never removed the seats myself, though the driver was removed only recently to repair the hinge.

Thank you again.

t0ddness,

I haven't seen dates on door cards.  It doesn't mean there weren't any.  It just means I haven't seen them.

The attached photos give a better sense of the context on where to find the tags.  The first photo is the seat bottom; the second is the backrest (associated with the tags shown in my previous post).

Regards,

Steve

IMG_7065.JPG

IMG_7093.JPG

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, t0ddness said:

As for the wheels...I am curious, what wheels I should have on the car.

Your 71 most likely came with 13" steel rims with hubcap and chrome trim ring like the blue car in this picture.  My 71 Voll Cab originally had the 13" steel wheels with the small hubcap and no chrome trim ring.

Mark92131

00N0N_aEj7JyOsWxS_600x450.jpg

HPIM0946.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm going to say 27k-32k.  On my soap-box, I will once again say that the "tii" value-bump is minimal at best.  A lot of the guys moving into these cars enjoy the nostalgia of a good carbed car.

To add to Steve's comments.  I have yet to see a door card with a date marking.  Personally, I wouldn't go that far in search of dates.  The rear seat is easy enough though (and should have dates).

7 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm going to say 27k-32k.  On my soap-box, I will once again say that the "tii" value-bump is minimal at best.  A lot of the guys moving into these cars enjoy the nostalgia of a good carbed car.

To add to Steve's comments.  I have yet to see a door card with a date marking.  Personally, I wouldn't go that far in search of dates.  The rear seat is easy enough though (and should have dates).

Thanks, Ace.  It's certainly not statistically meaningful, but I've had less luck with rear seats, often finding the tags undated.  Here's the rear backrest from that same 1972 tii (seat bottom was destroyed).

(And, again not statistically meaningful, I've had better luck with front seat backrests than with front seat bottoms!)

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_9274.JPG

17 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Your 71 most likely came with 13" steel rims with hubcap and chrome trim ring like the blue car in this picture.  My 71 Voll Cab originally had the 13" steel wheels with the small hubcap and no chrome trim ring.

Mark92131

HPIM0946.JPG

Yes, Mark, but the U.S.-spec cars converted pretty early to the one-piece full wheel covers.  Mike S. will know but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened during the 1969 model year.  My very early 1970 (September 8, 1969, VIN 1668093) already had the one-piece full wheel covers.  And I believe t0ddness mentioned that he also had the original steel rims and wheel covers -- I'm guessing sans tires.

Best regards,

Steve

27 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

On my soap-box, I will once again say that the "tii" value-bump is minimal at best.  

Really? I don't know about that one AA, just given the production #s of tii vs carbed (about a 1:10 ratio), not to mention the mythic-iconic status of the tii as "the one to have."  But what do I know...Personally, I love 'em all.

COOP

34 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Mark92131

HPIM0946.JPG

He has the original wheels with tires...They're shown extensively in his BaT pictures.

COOP

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Yes, Mark, but the U.S.-spec cars converted pretty early to the one-piece full wheel covers.  Mike S. will know but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened during the 1969 model year.  My very early 1970 (September 8, 1969, VIN 1668093) already had the one-piece full wheel covers.  And I believe t0ddness mentioned that he also had the original steel rims and wheel covers -- I'm guessing sans tires.

Best regards,

Steve

Interesting to know it was potentially that early-on.  My early '71 (short bumpers/center console/sans lower trim) had the full face wheel covers as well.

14 minutes ago, COOP said:

Really? I don't know about that one AA, just given the production #s of tii vs carbed (about a 1:10 ratio), not to mention the mythic-iconic status of the tii as "the one to have."  But what do I know...Personally, I love 'em all.

COOP

You are right on the production numbers being a factor.  As nostalgia for carbed cars continues to grow, it will be interesting to see what happens.  As you say, any day in a 2002 is a good day!

Edited by AceAndrew

I couldn't wait on BAT...I took delivery of this yesterday...

image.thumb.jpeg.6c59a92881a404ad68270d1817f341d7.jpeg

$13.50 on eBay [emoji4]

(Really a nice metal, die cast, Welly model with good detail. Highly recommend )

Ed

Ed,
Those door gaps need to be adjusted.
Is that a rust bubble I see on the rocker?
Can't show a car without a nit-to-pick. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

20 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Yes, Mark, but the U.S.-spec cars converted pretty early to the one-piece full wheel covers

I needed to be more precise, the Caribe car has the one piece wheel cover with integrated trim ring that I would expect to see on that 71.  I believe the wheel cover on my cab had an option for a separate trim ring (RealOEM diagram).  I think the later steel rims also had a separate trim ring option.

Mark92131

b_driverside.jpg

Wheels.png

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

I needed to be more precise, the Caribe car has the one piece wheel cover with integrated trim ring that I would expect to see on that 71.  I believe the wheel cover on my cab had an option for a separate trim ring (RealOEM diagram).  I think the later steel rims also had a separate trim ring option.

Mark92131

b_driverside.jpg

Wheels.png

Mark,

I believe we agree.

And it might have had something to do with (1.) how Hoffman ordered cars, (2.) sub-models -- as in 1600-2 vs. 2002 -- and (3.) time -- early versus late.  Notice that the window sticker for VIN 1527753 (U.S.-spec 1600-2, manufactured May 1967) has the Hoffman ordered "WHEEL EMBELLISHERS", a.k.a., trim rings.  And that shortly disappears as a line item from later U.S. cars, I suspect initially because a separate trim ring became standard and, later, because the one-piece full wheel cover was introduced.  Again, Mike S. will have the details and dates.  He even knows when the early silver-painted covers yielded to chromed covers!

And, yes, chrome trim rings were offered as a dealer accessory for the square taillight cars, with their styled-steel rims.

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_3171.JPG

Edited by Conserv

3 hours ago, COOP said:

Really?....." But what do I know"...

COOP

That's my faq tag line there pal.

May I suggest your superlative intellect can come up with a distinctive one just right for you and this forum. 

faq3a.jpg

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

Back in 1971, you really didn't have a choice of interiors if you bought your car through the Hoffman system (here or for European delivery).  Colorado cars came with black interiors and salt & pepper carpets, period.  However, as was pointed out, dealers would (and still will) do most anything for a sale, so somewhere there may be a Nevada or Agave car with a black interior...it would only take an hour or two to swap seats and door cards.

And that might explain the chrome vs black recliner mechanism.  BMW seats were made by an outside supplier, and as was typical with BMW, they would use up parts stocks until they ran out.  So if the factory was out of blue seats with chrome recliners, they'd install those with black recliners.  Then if the next car on the assembly line called for tobacco seats and they still had them in stock with chrome recliners, in they went.  All to our confusion 40+ years later.

Didn't check the car's VIN, but if it's a 257xxxx above about 2572xxx, it would have long rear bumpers, lower (knee) moulding and rubber trim on the front bumper ends.  But a trapezoid mirror.  Flag mirrors didn't appear in production 'till the 75 model year.

Quote:  Mike S. will know but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened during the 1969 model year.  I don't know for sure exactly when the 2 piece wheel covers were swapped for one piece, but it was prior to the "second series" '69s that were produced after 1 Jan '69.  My car (Feb 69 production) came with the one piece wheel covers that were painted in the center.  Only the 68 and 69 cars had those painted wheel covers; it was a bad idea--the paint started peeling after a few months.  Early '68 cars had two piece (painted) wheel covers with oval slots on the trim rings.  They look just like the later one piece wheel covers, and both pieces were stainless steel.  Then there was an even earlier trim ring, made from very soft aluminum with many squared off slots.  I think those were dealer accessories for early 1600s; I've never seen that style on a US spec 2002.  

I'm almost sorry to see '02 prices escalating so much and so quickly because 

1.  It's gonna price a lot of enthusiasts (especially young ones) out of the market, abd 

2,  It'll make us current owners think twice about driving such a valuable car on a regular basis...

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite