• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who's up for another round of "guess the sales price?"

walkinfool

Now that we have sorted out the interior concerns I suppose. Riddle me this. 

Original paint: would the door handle hardware NOT be covered in body paint as the handle would have been assembled after the entire chassis was coated? 

If you look at the image the screw and beveled washer that attaches the handle to the door are both orange in color. 

But I what do I know (TM)

orange door.jpg

But what do I know

9 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Now that we have sorted out the interior concerns I suppose. Riddle me this. 

Original paint: would the door handle hardware NOT be covered in body paint as the handle would have been assembled after the entire chassis was coated? 

If you look at the image the screw and beveled washer that attaches the handle to the door are both orange in color. 

But I what do I know (TM)

orange door.jpg

That is interesting. Both doors appear the same. There has to be a logical explanation, as nobody would paint just the interior of both doors. The paint on the exterior of the car has been measured on every panel and there is zero evidence of bondo, filler, or repainting. In full disclosure I do admit there is a spot or two of touch up paint applied - and I mean little spots.

As for left rear bumper horn, the bumper is actually not attached in forward location in that picture, as the bolt, washer and nut securing this fell off and likely accounts for any tilt. They've since been found. There is definitely not any fill and redrill in that area.

Edited by t0ddness

I further add, the car is hardly perfect, nor is it being presented as new. It is like any other 2002 just as you've all experienced. I've replaced bits as they've gone bad. I've already disclosed it has it's share of dings and chips though looks great at 5 or even 4 feet. A discerning eye at 2 feet away can call out every flaw of course, and disclosed in the PPI.

Looking closely at all the photo's on BaT does offer the opportunity to see most of the flaws, though it is as presented and has been preserved as well as I could by driving it mainly on Marin County back roads on cool and dry weekends free of most traffic and I've been fortunate to not ever be behind a gravel truck.

It just looks great though, if I do say so myself. I've only seen full restorations in better condition for at least the last 10 years, if not longer.

Edited by t0ddness

Interesting to note that on the first 2002 roundie to auction on BaT the screws for the door handles are not painted:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002-verona-red/

The recent 2002 Tii Inka which sold on eBay also had the screws painted...  I can't imagine this happened at the factory.  Here we have another 1971 2002 Base - original paint and heavily rusted, but also shows that these screws were not painted:

13-10.jpg

Edited by Eiremon

On 4/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, COOP said:

$33.5K. It can't logically approach $50K as that was the hammer price for the Verona '72 tii on BaT a month or so back:

(http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-7/). 

A desirable early 2002, a quintessential 70s color, an honest, strong-but-not-slick presentation, extensive documentation, long-time ownership and a car that just feels right for the right reasons. This will prove a meaningful, non-tii comp for the community.

Not feeling the carpet color relative to the tobacco seats/door panels though, I must confess.

COOP

I think you won! 

88 IX, 74 02, 72 02tii

On 4/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, LimeySteve said:

Cor Blimey $33,250 congrats 

Excellent!

On the paint issue, I believe many of us view a car as either (a.) completely re-painted, or (b.) having completely original paint.  And I might feel the same but for the fact that I -- entirely by accident -- owned a car for more than 40 years.  And I now believe in a more nuanced description of "original paint".

We are wrapping up what I consider to be my '76's first re-paint (below).  It the first time since I bought the car new that I had the car stripped of all trim, and most of the interior, and lights, and bumpers, etc.  And, at least the top side, was sanded to bare metal, and re-painted.  Every panel at the same time, as part of a single project!

But a lot happened in 41 years and many individual panels had been previously re-painted.  Let's see.

1.) In 1977, I clipped a guardrail with the right rear corner in a snow storm (second photo) and, ca. 1980, I actually caught a deer with the same right rear corner.  In each case, the right rear quarter panel was re-painted.

2.) In 1978, I had the car's biggest mishap -- all my bad, if I'm unable to blame those attractive co-eds -- and this caused the replacement of the nosepiece and right front fender.  But those replacements also meant we needed to paint the left front fender -- color matching a metallic color across a smooth fender-nosepiece seam just wasn't realistically possible at that time.  And then, the mis-match of the lower nose and the hood led us to re-paint the hood.  So the entire front clip was re-painted.

3.) And at some time -- I can't even come up with a good guess -- a passing car on a narrow street, knocked the driver's-side mirror off the parked '76, the shattered mirror housing bouncing off the top panel of my driver's door.  So that top panel of the left door -- above the beltline trim -- was re-painted.

4.) And when I was assessing the car, ca. 2015, as I prepared for its "first re-paint" -- I guess I should call it the first comprehensive re-paint -- I noticed that the right door, below the beltline trim, appeared to being aging somewhat differently from the other "genuinely-original" paint, but I couldn't recall having it repainted.  So, was this panel possibly re-painted with the car's front clip, with either of the right rear quarter panel re-paints, or....before I took delivery?  We'll never know.  Bear in mind, I've owned this car from new and I cannot tell you if or when the right door, below the beltline, was re-painted.  So much for those second or third owners who declare, "I'm the ______ owner and know everything that happened to this car from new."  Yeah, right!

But allow me to also add, partly for those who are confident they can always tell a re-painted panel from a factory-painted panel, that all of these known re-painted panels were re-painted 35 or more years in the past.  And those many interceding years had given the car a generally-uniform appearance: the deteriorated hood, painted ca. 1978, had deteriorated in a manner quite similar to the roof (a factory finish) and trunk lid (a factory finish).  The third photo shows the car being stripped for painting, and its "even" aging.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_9292.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 minutes ago, catlincustoms said:

I think you won! 

Yes!!

So...I get the car for a wine country weekend then?!

My guess of $33.5K was based on the assumption (wrong or right) that a comparable tii is currently worth about 50% more than a "standard '02."

The Verona '72 tii that sold for $50K last month on BaT had a ton in common with this car (relatively unmolested & excellent condition, great history/documentation, fun '70s color, presented with aftermarket wheels but including original steelies with the sale, etc, etc). Couldn't be better comps in my opinion.

$50K is exactly 50% more than $33,250 (ok, give or take $125).

I realize that it's not necessarily this simple, but that was how I approached it.

COOP

Steve -

1).   All good points re "what is original paint, really?"

2).  Your car looks awesome.

3).   Stop running into stuff.

Scott

Edited by saaron

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI