• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wooden "ti" steering wheel

02Anders

I've had a rare wooden "ti" steering wheel lying on the shelf for ages, but this winter I finally got around to doing something about it!
The lacquer was all cracked and starting to peel, so I had it professionally refurbished.  Both the tone of the wood and the gloss were matched to a wooden gearknob which had equally been sitting on the shelf for a fair while.  Luckily the three little metal clips that sit at the end of each spoke were still present on my steering wheel, as they seem to often go missing and they've been NLA forever.

And today was the big day!!
After 20 years or so with a Petri sports steering wheel in my NullZwei, it was time for a change.  Out came the wheel along with the leather gearknob, and for the first time in my NullZwei's 44 year life, she suddenly had a wooden steering wheel and gearknob.  My anticipation was huge, and I must say I'm rather pleased with the result...

NullZwei%20-%2009.04.17%201_zpsrotil9tt.

It's really quite amazing just how much it has changed the ambience of the whole interior.  Not near as teutonic anymore.  The subsequent drive was a real pleasure - not just because of how good the "ti" steering wheel looks, but it also just felt right in my hands...  :P

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Thx Gents!  :)

@Son of Marty, I was originally planning to restore the wooden rim myself, but in the end opted against it only because I came across a guy who seemed to know what he was doing, yet still had what I found to be very sensible pricing.  Now I'm really happy I went with him, because to be quite honest, I would have never managed the same quality finish myself...

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Yes it's an art to get a finish at that level, the first house I rented with my wife after collage the guy next door refinished violins and old Jaguar dashes the brushes he used were some special kind of sable and he said cost 90-100 1974 dollars each but he got a flawless finish after 7 to 10 coats, he was a real craftsman and artist rolled into one. spent many hours in his shop and I'm not a woodworker by any stretch.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

There's still another version of that wood-rim wheel--the center section is our familiar "bus wheel"--with horn pushes on all three spokes, but with a wood rim.  They were used on 2800 sedans and 2800CS coupes.  I had to refinish one, and the original finish was impervious to anything short of a nuclear weapon.  I ended up scraping it off with pieces of broken glass (wearing gloves of course).  A little sanding, many coats of urethane spar varnish and it really looks nice...but yours is much sportier looking with those flat metal spokes.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

13 hours ago, mike said:

There's still another version of that wood-rim wheel--the center section is our familiar "bus wheel"--with horn pushes on all three spokes, but with a wood rim.  They were used on 2800 sedans and 2800CS coupes.  I had to refinish one, and the original finish was impervious to anything short of a nuclear weapon.  I ended up scraping it off with pieces of broken glass (wearing gloves of course).  A little sanding, many coats of urethane spar varnish and it really looks nice...but yours is much sportier looking with those flat metal spokes.

mike

True Mike.  At the same time as BMW had this "ti" steering wheel as a factory option for the 1600ti and the 2002ti, they also offered another wooden steering wheel.  However it's an all together different wheel, as the whole center is vastly different and it's also a larger diameter.  The "ti" steering wheel is 380mm, while the other steering wheel which was offered as an option on the early E3's, E9's, NK 2000tilux and 2000tii was 400mm.  Both steering wheels were produced for BMW by Petri, and as a result, I can - from bitter experience! - confirm that the original lacquer finish of the "ti" steering wheel is just as utterly impossible to remove. as what you experienced on the bigger wooden steering wheel.
I btw. had one of those on my Atlantik "70 NK 2000...

BMW2000NK-1510113.jpg

The more sober and upmarket styling of the bigger wooden steering wheel seems to suit the 6-cylinder big brothers and range-topping NK's, while the more sporty character of the raw metal spoked wheel suits the smaller 02's well.  Later I was even lucky enough to find a factory black leather NK interior for the Atlantik NK.  Ended up selling the car in late 2011 - wish I hadn't....

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

18 hours ago, arminyack said:

love it! Much better option than the Petri IMHO. ( My car had a Petri on it when I bought it....I sold it, and bought an NK steering wheel with the $$)

I'm glad we have differing opinions, because your old Petri looks great in my Touring! ;)

Touring Petri.jpg

Edited by bluebmw

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

4 hours ago, 02Anders said:

the other steering wheel which was offered as an option on the early E3's, E9's, NK 2000tilux and 2000tii was 400mm.

The cool thing about these wheels is that they are already drilled for the horn contact button, so they can be used on 2002s.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite