• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii picture ..... shamelessly lifted ..... you decide

OriginalOwner

I read the comments first then looked at the pics. Well it's not THAT bad lol. The wing and exhaust are hideous. The flares, eh aggressive and well done from a quality standpoint. Not my cup of tea but I don't hate them. The interior is well done. Loud and obnoxious but still well done. I have seen alit worse. Engine bay is not bad except the grill over the exhaust. Wtf?  The stance...ridiculous. Although I have seen people drop them that low for photos and raise the somewhat normal heights for driving. It is on coilovers so it wouldn't be too hard to change ride height. The wheel tire combo? Not my taste again. I'm not a stretch tire fan and the rear camber looks atrocious. Could have been worse. I appreciate what went into the build and can see the concept but not a fan of the results. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I believe I'm largely in the COOP camp on this particular issue -- excuse me, COOP, if I misunderstand your "camp"!

In my mind, every modified street car falls somewhere on a continuum that stretches from (A.) a car modified solely with greater performance in mind, and for which an appearance or a "stance" attractive to others is 100% serendipitous; to (Z.) a car modified solely with a certain appearance or aesthetic in mind, and for which driveability is 100% serendipitous.  Most modified street cars fall somewhere between these two extremes: it's a broad continuum.

Members of this forum, in my opinion, generally like to believe their cars are closer to (A.) than they actually are, particularly with respect to (1.) lowering; and (2.) wheel choice/tire size.  Many of our choices do not improve handling much, if at all.  But we also need to recognize that the history of hotrodding has never been simply a choice of the (A.) end of the spectrum.  It's always been all over the map.  And, as COOP points out, and as I've pointed out previously, lowriders -- think of those that are slammed, but that also jump and dance -- often at their best, are great examples of the (Z.) end of the spectrum.

While I hate the appearance of the car at the center of this thread -- I won't call it anything more specific than a "car" -- I find it hard to believe that anyone attempting to drive it will confuse it with a high performance car.  It was constructed to be parked, photographed, and admired by people who prefer the (Z.) end of the spectrum to the (A.) end.  Let them have their fun:  it probably does more for '02 popularity and values than having a car go to the crusher.

And if you've ever used the phrase "great stance", you may be a tad closer to the (Z.) end than you're willing to admit!  ?

My dead stock '02's just became more valuable!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I like it. It's nothing that I would own, but it's a "one off", the only one of its kind. Obviously a lot of work went into it.

It's certainly more entertaining to look at than a Japanese counterpart.

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

41 minutes ago, Fatherof3 said:

Very little chance that this car looks like this today

Street-Freak.jpg

I believe the same will be true in five years for this 2002 

+1

Bingo!  Well done; well said!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 9/5/2016 at 10:48 PM, COOP said:

Just as an FYI, "stanced out" cars are not intended for any kind of performance driving and are, in fact, conceived to be "school-zone speed " image-cruisers and outlets of pure, personal creativity. Therefore, it is no more worthwhile an endeavor to critique them as performance machines as it would be to appraise old-school Impala low riders as such...So all of the horrified scoffing about contact patch sizes, outrageous negative camber, wing profiles, exhaust configuration and engine compartment design misses the point completely. These cars are born more as art than as functional, logical engineering, whether or not it's art that you/we/I find our personal aesthetic sensibilities aligned with. Again, not my flavor but I applaud the artistic interpretations and executions of all car-loving individuals, even when the controversial canvas happens to be...gasp...a BMW 2002. 

COOP

yeah, but....

quotes from the article.  someone thinks it is a performance car.

"  Although the power-plant regularly stretches its legs at various track events"  (reving in the parking lot?)

"  Cobra Classics Fujiwara selected are the perfect compromise; they provide sufficient support for sport driving "  (..in the unlikely event sport driving was attempted between the show and the trailer it arrived in)

very nice yard art with a lot of excellent attention to detail!  folks just shouldn't sell it as anything else but that.

;)

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

in my book form and function should work together.

Or at least not thumb each other in the face.  Or the eyeballs.  Or lower...

And that's just my opinion.  I DO think the workmanship looks great

in the pictures on the internet,  and wouldn't slander the craftsmen,

but the 'artistic' expression is, IN MY OPINION, pretty absurd.

Because maybe I'm just too stuck on the 'function' part of cars.  That's me!

But it's not my car.  So do with it as you please. 

I don't have to like it, and that's fine for everyone.

t

dubs.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

24 minutes ago, mlytle said:

yeah, but....

quotes from the article.  someone thinks it is a performance car.

"  Although the power-plant regularly stretches its legs at various track events"  (reving in the parking lot?)

"  Cobra Classics Fujiwara selected are the perfect compromise; they provide sufficient support for sport driving "  (..in the unlikely event sport driving was attempted between the show and the trailer it arrived in)

very nice yard art with a lot of excellent attention to detail!  folks just shouldn't sell it as anything else but that.

That "stretching it's legs at various track events" line IS pretty absurd. I would think you'd need to have a death wish for anything greater than boulevard cruising speed...

COOP

I am forced to quote Sir Francis bacon, the father of modern scientific methodology: "Beauty in things exists within the mind which contemplates them."

I suppose that I am a dinosaur, however, my mind does not really find this beautiful at all.   This is the reverse of form follows function. This is style precluding BMW 2002 drivability and legendary performance.

I find it more of a pity, when I think that you could probably have taken the rather obscene amount of money this cost and bought perfect pig cheek flares,. Alpina parts wheels etc. to go with those Webers and the motor, and voilà: you would have a timelessly beautiful period Correct 2002 street racer, like the pig cheek flared cars which used to drive across Europe to get to the races. Just remember a picture is worth more than 1000 words. Although I must say, from a Freudian double entendre perspective, the term ultra box has certain performance connotations which I find pleasing.

All my best, Peter

DSCN8515.JPG

DSCN8524.JPG

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum