• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monterey road Trip - the route and more.

Essem.w

4 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Maybe I would head to SoCal from AZ then take highway 1 all the way up to Monterey.  Thats a fun fun drive.

Did that in 2015 Barstow to Brisbane via PCH from Morro Bay to Seaside. Great drive.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

70 to 15 to 58 might be better...but a lot more desert...in August. There are only a few valid choices to getting beyond the Sierra Nevada Mts....Hwy 80, 50.....or the smaller bu fun roads (88, 4, 108, or 120 (to be avoided due to its proximity to Yosemite), or swing south of them via the 15. OR go way south thru AZ....but that must be a longer journey...and Hwy 1 all the way up would take FOREVER. I recommend checking out Hwy 1 once you are already in Monterey

Edited by arminyack

On day one, may I suggest Murray's Deli in Midland. Only place that has authentic German beer within 300 miles, great food and everyone very friendly.  

Oil & Gas Museum is a must, been updated recently with Jim Hall's creations.  The Yellow Sub was on an elevated side rack, and they had a demo recreation of one of his vacuum cars from the 60's to sit in (very, very snug by the way).

12 hours ago, arminyack said:

If you are even considering driving over Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz on thursday...dont even consider it until after 7:00pm. Traffic on that freeway is HORRENDOUS going southbound in the evening. Take if from someone who drove that road every damn day for 4 year to and from work.

Moreover...if you are going the Northern route...plz doint plan on driving down the east bay (hwy 880) in the afternoon. Words cannot describe the traffic hell you will be stuck in!!! 880 from its start near Oakland all the way through San Jose to Los Gatos WILL be a nightmare in the afternoon....I grew up here....DONT F BAY AREA TRAFFIC. IT WILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!!!

Uh-oh, that's what I was planning. New Castle Colorado to Salt Lake and Reno on Wednesday. . Then the 880 down to Santa Cruz for Thursday night.  Is this better before the rush hour - say by 3pm? Or is the southern route up 101 a better option?  

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

I'd leave SATX at 2am if I were you . . . . even if I did have AC!

Have fun!

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

1 hour ago, landon said:

Uh-oh, that's what I was planning. New Castle Colorado to Salt Lake and Reno on Wednesday. . Then the 880 down to Santa Cruz for Thursday night.  Is this better before the rush hour - say by 3pm? Or is the southern route up 101 a better option?  

You've gotta be going through Los Gatos and over the hill on 17 by 2:30 MAX....even that might be too late.

1 hour ago, landon said:

I'd take the southern route....however it has its perils too. Overall, however, its better than dealing with the east bay, by far.

8 minutes ago, arminyack said:

I'd take the southern route....however it has its perils too. Overall, however, its better than dealing with the east bay, by far.

Good info, thank you. I think I can leave Reno @ 7 am  allow 6 hrs with traffic to Santa Cruz and beat that afternoon rush. I want to at least go thru San jose as I was born there 52 years ago. Will be going home the southern route on Sunday to San Luis Obispo then on to Vegas and Colorado.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

On 7/10/2016 at 11:19 AM, otisdog said:

Added a bunch in my previous post.

Thanks again, I've been working on changing the route up a bit. 

On 7/12/2016 at 6:31 PM, wegweiser said:

Your route sounds EPIC. I applaud your desire to go for it. Good luck and safe travels!!!! I'll be leaving Pittsburgh PA and taking 4 days to cross the country. Taking a mostly northern route, since the F Bomb has no AC, other than vent windows. 

Arriving in Los Gatos area Thursday night (maybe via Reno NV?). Unless of course my car completely hand grenades, in which case, I'll have some good stories, which is what this is REALLY all about. LIVING. 

Remember: Positive Mojo is its own fuel. 

I wish I could take a northerly route! I bet that drive is going to be beautiful! What's your maximum time/distance you expect to travel each day? The heats been ramping up over the last few weeks and I've come to realize just how exhausting the whole thing is going to be. I've got about 2,700 miles on a fresh rebuild and so far everything is holding together just fine...of course if anythings going to happen...it's going to happen out there so bring it on! I just hope It doesn't die in the one spot I don't have cell phone coverage in. I have a ton of spares and comfortable shoes...just in case. 

On 7/12/2016 at 8:36 PM, arminyack said:

If you are even considering driving over Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz on thursday...dont even consider it until after 7:00pm. Traffic on that freeway is HORRENDOUS going southbound in the evening. Take if from someone who drove that road every damn day for 4 year to and from work.

Moreover...if you are going the Northern route...plz doint plan on driving down the east bay (hwy 880) in the afternoon. Words cannot describe the traffic hell you will be stuck in!!! 880 from its start near Oakland all the way through San Jose to Los Gatos WILL be a nightmare in the afternoon....I grew up here....DONT F BAY AREA TRAFFIC. IT WILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!!!

On 7/12/2016 at 8:55 PM, wegweiser said:

Duly noted! You're all potential lifesavers! :)

Agreed! Couldn't have wished for better information! 

On 7/12/2016 at 9:32 PM, jrhone said:

Maybe I would head to SoCal from AZ then take highway 1 all the way up to Monterey.  Thats a fun fun drive.

On 7/12/2016 at 9:40 PM, adawil2002 said:

Did that in 2015 Barstow to Brisbane via PCH from Morro Bay to Seaside. Great drive.

I did that the last time I was at the historics, it really is something else out there. Sadly I ended up behind a travel trailer repeatedly. 

On 7/13/2016 at 8:16 AM, Captain Manly said:

On day one, may I suggest Murray's Deli in Midland. Only place that has authentic German beer within 300 miles, great food and everyone very friendly.  

Oil & Gas Museum is a must, been updated recently with Jim Hall's creations.  The Yellow Sub was on an elevated side rack, and they had a demo recreation of one of his vacuum cars from the 60's to sit in (very, very snug by the way).

I'm really looking forward to all my stops but this one is setting the trip off right. Thanks for the info!

On 7/13/2016 at 9:50 AM, lilmo said:

I'd leave SATX at 2am if I were you . . . . even if I did have AC!

Have fun!

the thought of only driving at night has crossed my mind but then I'd miss all the scenery!

thanks again everyone!

On 7/12/2016 at 10:32 PM, jrhone said:

The problem of going Hwy 1 is getting stuck behind an RV and there are very few places to pass on Hwy 1 and that sucks, AMHIK.  That's why I recommend going up the 101, getting off at Greenfield and going over the coastal range on Monterey County Hwy G16 which dumps you right into Carmel Valley. The bonus is, no traffic on G16 and the grin on your face after driving that road will last for a long time.  August is tourist season and it's not a good time to drive on Hwy 1.  I used to live in San Luis Obispo county for years so I'm very familiar with the area.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I have gone in August and had a blast...me and a Boxster were near triple digits for hours.  I'm sure he was wondering how this old BMW was on its tail for so long...lol.  It was a weekday morning though.  There isn't traffic 24 hours a day...if he is making the time to plan the trip in advance I would bet he could plan to be on Highway 1 when there isn't traffic.  I'm sure G16 is a fun option as well!

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

arminyack mentioned, "70 to 15 to 58 might be better .... but a lot more desert. "

just today I drove the I-15 North from LA to St George, Utah.  In a tourist sorta way, I highly recommend the short stretch of I-15 between Littlefield, AZ and St George.  Some of the highway is in the Virgin River Canyon, and is a stunningly spectacular bit of scenery for those miles you are in the canyon.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

• 4 weeks later...

So after all that planning, all the work on the car and all the expenses I was offered a new job and couldn't say no. I'm still going, flying out tomorrow, but the dream drive is dead. I was able to cancel all my camp site reservations but one at the lower twin lakes at bainbridge just outside Yosemite....kind of a list minute notice as the reservation is for tomorrow night but if any one wants it please let me know!