• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monterey road Trip - the route and more.

Essem.w

Good afternoon all!

As I prepare the daily for the road trip of my life (so far) I wanted to throw my route out there for all to see to get some feedback on somethings that I may be missing along the way, to gather useful info relating to BMW shops or parts sources along the route and to see if there is anyone else there I might just cross paths with!

Day one:

San Antonio, Texas to San Antonio, New Mexico. This is a big drive day with an early start planned so I can catch lunch in Midland Texas after a visit to the Petroleum Museum which just happens to house a collection of very famous Chaparrel race cars (yes, the sucker car is there) (http://petroleummuseum.org/chaparral-gallery-exhibits/) Route chosen at this point is IH10W to SH83 to SH87 to SH158 to SH214 to SH380.....11 hours of total drive time!

Day two: I'll be camping out somewhere around SA-NM  and then waking up early to catch the sunrise at the VLA (http://www.vla.nrao.edu/) I've wanted to see this since I was a little lad reading Omni and scouring the book fair for science fiction futurist illustrations (Syd Mead is a particular favorite followed by Don Davis and Rick Guidice.) After the VLA I'll be traveling onto Arizona through the Apache-Sitgreaves national forest with a final destination of Arcosanti, Arizona to satisfy the architecture nerd in me. Route chosen at this point is SH60 to SH260 to IH17. Drive time: 6 hours+/-

Day three: Leaving Arcosanti early AM and heading North through Flagstaff and onto the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and Las Vegas. Route chosen at this point is IH17 to IH40 to SH64 to SH180 to SH64 to SH89 to SH89A to IH389 to IH59 to IH15 to SH169, 167 to IH93 whew! Drive time: 8 hours+/-

Day Four: Las Vegas to Yosemite, Ca. Route: SH160 to SH95 to SH266 to SH6 and onto SH120 Total Drive time 6 hours+/-

Day Five: Yosemite, CA to Pescadero, Ca This route could use a little work I think...I'm heading North after Monterey so I want to skip SF for now...been thinking SH120 to SH140 to 152/33 to SH156 to G11 to 129 to SH1. Total drive time 5.5 hours +/-

Day six: Pescadero to Monterey!

The route Back will be a northerly route with a few days in SF, then onto Lake Tahoe, then Salt Lake City, Denver and back home. I'm very open to suggestions on anything I must see that's potentially along the route from Tahoe to Denver. 

I'm a bit nervous honestly since some of my route is on a road less traveled so If there's anyone out there along this route that'd be willing to offer a hand should something go awry and be very appreciative, Shoot me your info and we can exchange contacts.

Hope to see y'all out there on the road!

IMG_1561.JPG

Your day five needs work...welcome to HELL of Bay Area traffic. you need to be mindful of when you hit the bay area, as traffic there is a force to be reckoned with, and can make your last leg of the trip a living hell. You SHOULD be ok with the 580 to 92 route...but it can back up badly if you hit at rush hour.

I'm not sure where you plan to stay in Pescadero (its a small farming town) but there is one Inn.

I can tell you from years of experience the highway 1 going south of Santa Cruz on a weekday afternoon SUCKS. Plan your day six well. 

Oh and stop by Mono lake,,,its a cool place! I drove the 120 years back in my Evolution VIII right before they closed it for the winter....it was sketchy!! Nothing around AT ALL for  good stretch of it!!

It will probably be fine in the summer...but could be rather slow

Edited by arminyack

Agree with others that Day 5 needs work since bay area traffic sucks.  From Yosemite, I would recommend going south on SH 41 through Fresno and keep going south till intersection of SH 198. Go west on SH 198 (SH 198 is a great driving road)  http://www.openroadjourney.com/rides-and-roads/view/hwy-198-coalinga-to-king-city/6193 until it meets US 101 and then go north on 101 and get off of 101 at the town of Greenfield.  From Greenfield, turn on to Elm Avenue (Monterey county road G16) and stay on G16 over the coastal range and it will drop you right into Carmel Valley and the Historics..   G16 is the back way in to Carmel Valley and it's one of the best enthusiast roads I've driven.  Once you leave the Historics, you can go any direction you want

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Agree with Gordon on 198....great road.  Once saw a massive road kill Boar in Priest Valley....

Oh, and just north of King City on 101 the California Highway Patrol does a good job of revenue collecting for the state.

Coffee is kicking in....On your day four, why are you taking that route? It is out in the middle of nowhere, with zero support. If you break down it will be hours before help arrives, and in August it will be hotter than hell! I suggest that you get over to california 395 straight away...a nice, scenic highway with real towns  every 30 miles or so. Aim for Lone Pine . And where do you plan to stay in Yosemite? If you don't already have reservations, you aren't....place books a year in advance, and the rangers do not take kindly to just pulling over and sleeping. I suggest getting a room somewhere on the June Lake Loop, aka 'little Switzerland'.  Highly recommend having breakfast at the Silver Lake Lodge, will last you all day. You will be in the Sierras at the height of the summer season, best make a reservation somewhere on the east side. Car camping is also feasible in the area.

Traffic in Yosemite is horrendous...allow 6 hours driving from the eastern border @ Tioga Pass till you exit on the west side. More as I wake up...

Really no reason to go all the way down to 198. I'd get to Mariposa, then Merced, 59 to 152 west to 101. Great burritos at the Carniceria in Los Banos. This will be a long driving day however you swing it.

Edited by otisdog
coffee

The 198 is great...but instead of going straight to the 101, head north on the 25 (another great driving road!) onward thru Hollister, then take the 156 to the 101 down to Monterey. The 198 to the 25 will be part of my non-standard route up north from SoCal

13 hours ago, arminyack said:

I'm not sure where you plan to stay in Pescadero (its a small farming town) but there is one Inn.

I can tell you from years of experience the highway 1 going south of Santa Cruz on a weekday afternoon SUCKS. Plan your day six well. 

Oh and stop by Mono lake,,,its a cool place! I drove the 120 years back in my Evolution VIII right before they closed it for the winter....it was sketchy!! Nothing around AT ALL for  good stretch of it!!

It will probably be fine in the summer...but could be rather slow

I'll be camping in the area, Pescadero is the closest city. 

Thabks for the info, Google wanted to send me right through San Mateo then back down again and I thought that was crazy, so I moved my route further south...guess it wasn't south enough! 

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Agree with others that Day 5 needs work since bay area traffic sucks.  From Yosemite, I would recommend going south on SH 41 through Fresno and keep going south till intersection of SH 198. Go west on SH 198 (SH 198 is a great driving road)  http://www.openroadjourney.com/rides-and-roads/view/hwy-198-coalinga-to-king-city/6193 until it meets US 101 and then go north on 101 and get off of 101 at the town of Greenfield.  From Greenfield, turn on to Elm Avenue (Monterey county road G16) and stay on G16 over the coastal range and it will drop you right into Carmel Valley and the Historics..   G16 is the back way in to Carmel Valley and it's one of the best enthusiast roads I've driven.  Once you leave the Historics, you can go any direction you want

G-Man

Excellent thanks! All this info from

eceryone is very helpful! Feel free to throw in some recommended food stops as well! 

Your route sounds EPIC. I applaud your desire to go for it. Good luck and safe travels!!!! I'll be leaving Pittsburgh PA and taking 4 days to cross the country. Taking a mostly northern route, since the F Bomb has no AC, other than vent windows. 

Arriving in Los Gatos area Thursday night (maybe via Reno NV?). Unless of course my car completely hand grenades, in which case, I'll have some good stories, which is what this is REALLY all about. LIVING. 

Remember: Positive Mojo is its own fuel. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

1 hour ago, wegweiser said:

Your route sounds EPIC. I applaud your desire to go for it. Good luck and safe travels!!!! I'll be leaving Pittsburgh PA and taking 4 days to cross the country. Taking a mostly northern route, since the F Bomb has no AC, other than vent windows. 

Arriving in Los Gatos area Thursday night (maybe via Reno NV?). Unless of course my car completely hand grenades, in which case, I'll have some good stories, which is what this is REALLY all about. LIVING. 

Remember: Positive Mojo is its own fuel. 

If you are even considering driving over Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz on thursday...dont even consider it until after 7:00pm. Traffic on that freeway is HORRENDOUS going southbound in the evening. Take if from someone who drove that road every damn day for 4 year to and from work.

Moreover...if you are going the Northern route...plz doint plan on driving down the east bay (hwy 880) in the afternoon. Words cannot describe the traffic hell you will be stuck in!!! 880 from its start near Oakland all the way through San Jose to Los Gatos WILL be a nightmare in the afternoon....I grew up here....DONT F BAY AREA TRAFFIC. IT WILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!!!