• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junk In The Trunk

What sort of junk do you keep in your trunk?

Do you have any stowage tricks, tips, or accessories?

I have seen trunk bins (and beautiful FAQ-member-made reproductions), which fit between the wheel wells.

Of course, that is also a popular place to relocate the battery.

There were side 'baskets' offered (and beautiful FAQ-member-made reproductions) at least for the round tail light cars.  I am not sure whether they fit later models.

Tool kits came with these cars, but mine was long gone.  Sputter's tool kit is the most inspiring one I have seen.  Hopefully Kaptanoglu will share another photo.

There were BMW first aid kits offered as well... right JimK?

The trunk (or boot) of the 2002 is quite spacious.  

How much junk have you stuffed in your trunk?  Photos?

This is a messy return trip from taking the 02 to a job site

023.JPG

This cargo net was easily installed, using little S-hooks under the tail light nuts

004.JPG006.JPG

... and the blue camping mat helps keep things from sliding around, while protecting the elephant skin vinyl.

Hauling gas... Argon, that is.  This photo reminds me that I want to add some tie downs; (although the shock towers work well for taller stuff).

001.JPG

This Thule rack stows nicely above the wheel wells, especially when the vapor tank's replaced with a VW brake fluid reservoir.  One thing to note about that, is the original cap is vented, but a Stihl two cycle oil cap has the same threads.  (I have since flopped it up out of the way).

002.JPG

This is a good place to store the rack uprights, as well as a scissor jack

004.JPG

I have recently added a spark plug hole tire inflator, as well as a siphon hose, (in case I want to offer a stranded motorist some fuel : ) .  I intend to add an empty gas can.

001.JPG

Rope is nice to have on hand, for tying things to the rack.  The blue bag holds a blanket.  I have yet to need the tarp, but it seems like a good place to store it.

Nothing fancy here, but I am considering making a full width drawer, for over the wheel wells.

I was quite impressed to find that a pair of early seats will actually fold flat enough to fit in the trunk with the lid closed.  Unfortunately I did not snap any photos.

Who has photos of their fully loaded trunk?

Tricks for stowage?

Custom, or factory accessories?

Photos are nice, but stories are too.
What's in the boot of your 2002?

Drove my daughter back from school at UC Santa Cruz to San Diego, the car was filled to the gills with all her stuff.  We barely made it home on a very tired engine, burning 2 to 3 Quarts of oil between fill-ups.  Great memories from that trip.

Mark92131

IMG_0078.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Ive moved three people (myself included) home for winter break before in my car. That was a stuff! Things on laps, under seats, at your feet. Was tight! No pictures though.... 

All I keep in the trunk (minus the stuff stuffed in the sides) is a coat and some cardboard. I really need to make something that stays secured between the wheel wells for small things...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Back in the very very early days in San Diego I was responsible to transport one of those horizontally-cut-in-half 55-gallon-drum bbq's to a huge gathering.  I had the bbq + everything else loaded in my Chevy panel truck.

That morning I jump in the truck to find that the battery is deader than (you make up your own analogy).  So I pop the trunk on the '74tii to then discover that 1/2 of a 55-gal-drum bbq sets & fits perfectly into the trunk of a 74tii, and everything else fits easily into the back seat.

Cheers,

Carl

Used to carry a 13' zodac inflatable, a 25 HP Johnson outboard, 2 downriggers, fishing gear and a large plywood box that had 2 6 gal. gas tanks a battery and a couple of life vests in it that fit in the back seat

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Used to carry a 13' zodac inflatable

Now we need a "Maritime 2002" thread :)

13 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

a 55-gal-drum bbq sets & fits perfectly into the trunk

YES, Chevy panel trucks and barbeques, what's not to love?

"2002 in Cooking Mode"

21 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

I really need to make something that stays secured between the wheel wells for small things...

Tunks in the Trunk, I like it.  This one's not hommade though.

012.JPG

Who's got their trunk Prepped for Emergencies?

Don't forget the Pee Bottle, nor the TP in a ZipLoc Bag.

My blue pad is really for sleeping on, blanket and tarp for sleeping under; should the need arise.

I am sure Luna would gladly share a blanket off her back seat bed... if it got too cold. 

Dog food and a water / bowl always in the trunk, with a smaller rope, with a loop, for her collared walks.

Where is the "2002 In Camping-Mode" thread?

I have trailer lights wired to a plug in the trunk, but have yet to pull a trailer; 

since I took the shin-bustin' hitch off, after it gave me the second scab

The 2002 could pull my 14' '64 Alpex Alora/25hp Evinrude ('75), no problem.

(the Snapper can / 8hp, Briggs and Stratton)

I have a feeling I might be doing that soon, crabbing season's coming :)

a SPORTSTER , no less

002.JPG

"Hauling Gas, Argon, that is." haha

Get it?   Hauling Gas /// Hauling Ass ... in the 2002.

(i didn't get it when i typed it, but laughed about it later)

I would like to see some trunk lighting solutions.

Power terminals in the trunk would be convenient.

See what this thread made me do last night?

021.JPG

Oh, and as for 2002s and moving, it would take me a lot of trips back and forth.

25 years ago everything fit in my '69 Econoline One Ton Supervan, when I drove it out from Iowa.

Never should have sold that van.

roadhog,

way up at the top Mint shows a pic of that cargo net bag.  I'm going to make up a version of that and put it in the between-the-wheel-well area.

Another junk in the trunk story from the late '70's gas crisis.  I was taking a welding class.  As a project I custom-built a 13-gal gas tank that fit perfectly into the between-the-wheel-well area.  To get the gas into the regular tank I would use a siphon hose.  26 gallons easily got me from San Diego to San Francisco and around town ...... those were the days of closed gas stations and too-long lines.

Cheers,

Carl

10 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

roadhog,

way up at the top Mint shows a pic of that cargo net bag.  I'm going to make up a version of that and put it in the between-the-wheel-well area.

Another junk in the trunk story from the late '70's gas crisis.  I was taking a welding class.  As a project I custom-built a 13-gal gas tank that fit perfectly into the between-the-wheel-well area.  To get the gas into the regular tank I would use a siphon hose.  26 gallons easily got me from San Diego to San Francisco and around town ...... those were the days of closed gas stations and too-long lines.

Cheers,

Carl

I'd prefer something more rigid, but I might just go with a net like the one up top. Better than nothin!

Edited by roadhog0

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The Targa California setup. Has survived 3 of them, including the Baja CA version, and it was driven hard in each one. The toolbox stays put. The amount of tools that I bring has meant that several participants' cars have been fixed and able to stay in the rally . . . .

A much larger flat of drinking water was brought to Mexico!

Chris

IMG_5112.JPG

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car