• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello everyone

so the thing is I have put my 02 back on ther road after a full restoration and after one month/aprox. 2000km later there have been some issues that popped out.

Despite engine had a full rebuild with all new bearings, been honed, new piston rings, new valve steam seals, im having a major issue with smoke coming out of exhaust, its blue so obviously its burning oil, but where? Most noticeable is when idling and when releasing a gas pedal (in that 2000km period he took 2 litres of oil)....  Im running out of ideas where to start fixing that problem

Some say use thicker oil (currently im running Castrol 10W-40 part synthetic), others says ignition/distributor have something to do with this...my major fear is that its actually something wrong inside the engine :/ 

And the other big problem is noise coming out of the engine after it comes to working temperature, valves has been set to 0.15mm clearance and the engine is running beautifully when its cold, but after a while it gets this noise ( trrrrrrr sound) only when Im on throttle.
I heard M10 was known for being extremely sensitive about worn out rocker arms, and mine are still original. Would you guess this is the reason for noise or there might be something else??

I appreciate all the help ;) thanks

'73 2002 

Oil control rings are my guess, does it smoke on deceleration too ?if so I'd check the rings, my 1st build did the same , engine guy rebuilt with different oil scraper rings , problem gone. 

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

.15mm is less than .006"- that's awfully tight.  Conventionally, we say .007"- .008".

Usually, tho, that would make it quieter, not louder...

As to oil, were your pistons measured carefully?  The M10 seems to wear pistons- I find few in used engines that are reusable..

Beyond that, thicker oil, and drive it hard.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It sounds as if you have more going on than simply an oil issue but Korman believes you should not use a synthetic oil during the break-in period or even during the first 5,000-10,000 miles: it's lubricating properties are so good that it will excessively prolong or even prevent break-in from occurring.  They put in a watery straight-weight oil (20W?) for the first 2,000 miles.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

thanks for answers guys ;) i will definitely try 20w50 oil and we will se how it goes from there.  before that i will also measure compression if there are maybe some leaks in the cylinder..does anyone have a info what the compression should be on 2002?

even if this oil change is gonna partially solve smoking problem there is still that strange sound coming out of the engine,   @TobyB yeah is should be quieter after setting the clearance ..it is until its cold, but the 0.15mmm measurement was found in service manual so thats why i went for this at the beginning 

'73 2002 

Has it been driven hard at all, or just babied for the first 2000km?

the rings need seated well, and I'm of the opinion that it needs to be driven hard right after the rebuild to put some pressure on them and seat them well.  Get on the gas hard and engine brake a few times, if you haven't already.  I ran the piss out of my engine right after the rebuild, immediately after getting to operating temp.  Never any oil usage from it, and no sign of smoke.

however, yours does sound real bad like some rings weren't installed right.  Were the gaps staggered like they should be, instead of all lined up?

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

@KFunk it wasnt driven to the maximum but it wasnt babied as well..twisty roads aprox. 400km (250 miles) per weekend for the last three weekends, average speed around 90-110 km/h (50-70 miles per hour) at 3000-4000 rpm

New piston rings are from Goetze..
As said all the noise is gone in the same second i remove my foot from the gas pedal when driving...also at this time smoke from the exhaust is usually  at maximum

Edited by bltom

'73 2002 

Any chance they used Standard size rings on an overbored cylinder (they would fit on the pistons but would not seal worth a damn.  Did anyone check the ring end gap (I know you said they were installed at 180 deg from each other)?  Sounds like a ring problem.  The noise might be a loose timing or oil pump chain.  There are many possibilities it is very hard to diagnose without actually being there to hear what is going on. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

yeah I have considered that option of to small rings as well...eventually if nothing will work i can try replacing them..

Ring gap was definitely checked, its true i typed 180 degrees but i wasn't sure i said it right haha before i checked it..the were done according to shop service manual  as well as goetze ring instructions.

I do my best to record that sound today

'73 2002 

so i changed the oil today to mineral 20w-50..so far so good, just have to get one of my friends to drive behind me and see how it goes.

regarding engine noise, this is the video that was shoot today, engine at this point was relatively cold and you can already hear the sound...sounds like an old diesel :/ 

Edited by bltom

'73 2002 

Buy a stethoscope.

To me, that sounds ugly, but I can't

tell where it's coming from.

It could be rod knock, but it could very well be a manifold gasket leak

fwiw

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

well that doesn't sound good - surely your first point of call is the engine builder? I had an engine rebuilt years ago and chose the cheapest shop based on my Fathers advice. Learnt two lessons - Dads aren't always right and not all engine rebuilds are equal. The cowboys had thrown in different sized bottom end shells - sounded a lot worse than yours.

Edited by NickVyse

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg