• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn/garage Tii find

BLUNT

That's a sweet looking car Steve.  Please post pics of the engine bay some time.  I wonder if the engine still has the '74tii specific stuff on it (vacuum retard distributer, extra vacuum stuff on the intake and air filter, ect.)  The stock setup works really well and matches the injection pump which was unique on the 74tiis.  Looking good,

John

My 74tii is 2781840 built 05/74 (right side exhaust exit)

We will post up some pics. The engine bay needs some work. Not sure what direction we will take yet. Ideally the motor would come out and fix some orange showing thru but I hesitate to do that as this car, at first glance, would be a great car to strip and bring back to Inka. On the other hand it would be a really nice drivers car as is. Just depends on who wants it and their end goal

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I was originally going to buy a 74tii back in 2006... This one is an early 74 USA production one which there were very few made. Needs euro bumpers and another set of wheels. Absolutely LOVE the seats.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

We spent the day on the Tii today. Got it running and it ran great for a few miles. Car feels solid and tight. Installed new clutch master and slave and got that bled. I knew the brakes were dragging from when we tried to load it.  RF caliper seems like its hanging up. Both rears are stuck, Removed drums and freed up adjusters and soaked those up. Ordered new wheel cylinders and hardware. Started missing after a short period,. I should have drained the tank but dude told me gas was fresh. I suspect I sucked some crap up. So Mikey Pugh gave me some suggestions we will try and get the tank cleaned out. Im impressed with the car though. It will make a nice driver. Its not a show car when you start looking at the engine bay but a very nice base for someone to start with

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

the brakes were dragging from when we tried to load it.RF caliper seems like its hanging up.

I'll bet it is an outer cylinder... based on the two sticky ones I just took apart.

Do you plan on replacing those calipers, or will you be removing that little bit of rust in the bores?

If you are going to free them up, I've got a tool for you  :)

091.jpg

I recently (finally) freed up my dragging calipers.  Once the pistons were out, I used that homemade tool to scrape the rust from the bore.  It has a scraper blade which only goes as deep as the rubber o-ring.  You can adjust the depth of cut with a little set screw and shave the rust from the bores, without having to split the calipers.  I was very happy with how it worked.  

It is such a common problem, that I think this tool has 'market potential'... thus I am shamelessly offering one for you to try.

(Or, you drop in remanufactured calipers for $49.95).

More info on my calipers here http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/167847-broken-brake-caliper-piston/

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

I recently (finally) freed up my dragging calipers.  Once the pistons were out, I used that homemade tool to scrape the rust from the bore.  It has a scraper blade which only goes as deep as the rubber o-ring.  You can adjust the depth of cut with a little set screw and shave the rust from the bores, without having to split the calipers.  I was very happy with how it worked.  

It is such a common problem, that I think this tool has 'market potential'... thus I am shamelessly offering one for you to try.

(Or, you drop in remanufactured calipers for $49.95).

More info on my calipers here http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/167847-broken-brake-caliper-piston/

Thank you  We will be working on it Tuesday evening finishing up the rears. Ill have a closer look at the rf caliper then and determine for sure its bad. Could be a collapsed brake line too. Thank you for the kind offer

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve, I am just curious what you found when you looked at the brakes.  Was it the caliper, or the line?

It was actually both.  Initially I just bolted on rebuilt calipers.  And new wheel cylinders because I wanted to be able to say it was all new.... Bled it all and one wheel was still hanging up.

after closer inspection one of the hard lines was actually twisted where the connection was. It was very hard to see.. Bent up a new hard line and its like brand new

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com