• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safety Announcement: Replacement Mechanical Fuel Pumps

Jace

Same thing happened on the factory fuel pump fitted to my Renault 4CV--except on the Renault, the outlet side of the fuel pump was aimed at the distributor.  The result was a small fire, but quickly extinguished with a bucket of water (all that was available).  I was able to drive the car home with only slightly toasty ignition wires!  

Lessons learned:  

1.  support the fuel line so it isn't dangling from the fuel pump inlet or outlet nipples (on the Renault it was copper and nearly 2 ft long)

2.  Slightly ovalize/deform the brass nipple and drive it back in place with a lead or copper mallet

3.  then peen the area around the nipple

4.  carry a proper fire extinguisher--then one of Murphy's many laws says you'll never need it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've had an extinguisher in the '02 for years, but the only car I've had actually catch fire was our "new" car, a 10-year-old Plymouth Acclaim (don't judge me any more than I already do myself), when we were living in Kentucky. The valve cover bolts loosened up, and when my wife pulled into a very steep driveway, oil dumped onto the exhaust manifold and caught fire. A couple of passing rednecks on an ATV yanked their t-shirts off and put the fire out with them and a bucket of water.  I'm not kidding.

I drove over and figured out what had happened (to the car, not the rednecks). Tightened the valve cover down, patched up two scorched wires to the oxygen sensor, and the son of a gun started right up. Ginger didn't believe me when I walked in and announced that we could drive it home.

Incidentally, the person she was visiting bought the car a couple of months later...

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I put JB weld on it and reinstalled.

Blasphemy!!!

Oh, that was before my current job.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Blasphemy!!!

Oh, that was before my current job.

Don

I'll do better next time!

4799!!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 3 months later...

Holi cannoli.... I can't believe the '75 didn't burn to the ground this morning...

I've been resurrecting this car and have only been commuting with it for 2 weeks.  I'm getting onto a highway this morning and running up through the gears and she sputters and dies... I'm pulling to the side, thinking what the heck???  It had been running pretty well.  Then I see condensation all over the hood, right above where the carb sits...  oh shiitake...

Pop the hood and fuel is EVERYWHERE.  Sure as shootin', the damned nipple on the high pressure side of the mechanical fuel pump popped out and the pump doused the "cool" side of the engine bay with gasoline.  

I was able to tap it back in place, and was pretty close to home, so I limped it back to the driveway.  Got out my tools and repaired it by firmly seating the nipple, then with a sharp center punch, peened the aluminum housing around the nipple to lock it into place. Seemed pretty tight, so I drove on to work...  SCARY.

Here's a pic....  I'm thankful the car didn't catch fire... it pumped gas straight on the alternator...any spark would have set it up. :(   ....also totally bummed....the gasoline stripped the paint off my brand new (installed on Sunday) 320 radiator... crud.  Thankfully, I had a gallon of water in the car and was able to dilute the fuel spill.

post-42878-0-73941800-1441117360_thumb.j

I will take some better pictures later of the fix. I'm surprised more cars haven't caught fire.

Be safe out there...

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Sure as shootin', the damned nipple on the high pressure side of the mechanical fuel pump popped out
  So what you are sayin is that unless you are up close and personal with a newly purchased car, "Check your Nipples!".

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Amen on the JB Weld solution!  02 has not run for about 10 years, but when it gets close, I will doublecheck all the press-in fuel lline fittings and JB Weld them if needed.  My experience with JB on fuel lines involves the fuel line inlet on a Rochester Quadrajet.  All the threads had stripped out of the carb, so in a Hail Mary shot, I JB Welded the inlet filter back in.  It has held fast for 2 years now.  No leaks.

Yikes Ed! Close call! Mike Wooldridge of Hot Springs, AR had the inlet nipple pop out of his 38/38 (as Toby and others referenced in the older part of this thread) enroute to an event we attended at Lane Motor Museum in Nashville on 04-04-04. He wasn't so lucky. If he hadn't been quick with an extinguisher his beautiful red '71 would've been crispy fried. He managed to skate by with damage to the paint on the hood and minor engine bay damage. Scary stuff.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©