• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid mistake.. Don't smoke weed and work on your car

jedi420

So I came back from vacation and tried jump starting my car. my dumb ass put the cables on the wrong terminals. Wires started smoking immediately. now my car is dead. I tried changed out all the burnt wires leading to my alternator, still no life. is my alternator done? voltage regulator fried?

Stoners and drunks are some of my best customers.... they fuck up the easy shit all the time. Quick money. :)

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

This is good shit. Reminds me of a movie. Save your stash cash and vist wiegermeister

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Dude, I won't hate on you for getting your smoke on, but you've gotta be sensible when messing with your car. If you don't have the expertise to test the car's relatively simple electrical system, get a recommendation for someone who can fix your problem. There's no magical internet fix. Proper testing is in order.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Dude, I won't hate on you for getting your smoke on, but you've gotta be sensible when messing with your car. If you don't have the expertise to test the car's relatively simple electrical system, get a recommendation for someone who can fix your problem. There's no magical internet fix. Proper testing is in order.

Dave ain't here, man.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Don't feel too badly--I had a professional connect jumper cables backwards on my Nissan 720 pickup some years ago.  Fortunately all it did was blow the radio's in-line fuse--no damage to the alternator or its internal regulator--or anything else for that matter.  

Without going into the ethics and advisability mentioned in your title, let's try and find out what happeded.  Start checking things out step by step.

1  Is the battery still producing 12 volts when you connect a voltmeter?  If so...  

2. Check your fuses--make sure they're not melted, burned etc.  Clean the fuse holders too. They may be blackened.

3.  If you reconnect the battery correctly, does anything work--lights, horn, wipers etc--especially stuff that wasn't turned on when the reversed voltage was applied?  If nothing does, I'd check the main battery cables--it's possible they melted.  

If the stuff that was off still functions, you're gonna have to check each circuit that doesn't work--with the battery disconnected use an ohmeter to check for wiring continuity.  Hopefully you didn't do major damage.  

Consider this a learning situation...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite