• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differential Question

ohioplatt

what the hell IS that?

It's a manufactured thing, but it's only acting on one wheel. It's not a brake, since there doesn't seem to be any way

of actuating it, like a cutting brake.

And yeah, it's a standard- looking diff- but the stub's been customized.

That's whack- a- doodle.

You find things like this on International Harvesters, not BMWs...

Cool!

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This is a real mystery. I looks like there's a synchro ring from a gearbox. I guess it could work as torque limiter. But why? Why would someone take the effort of doing that?

Was it installed in the car or just came with it? I'm wondering if it was used to build some other machine and then discarded.

Was there anything else weird in the car that could be related to this thing?

My best guess at the moment is that somebody was trying to teach wife use clutch and manual gears but didn't success. This was made so the clutch can be actuated as on/off switch and it makes the needed slip to start moving the car :)

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I was thinking the same. You could just dump the clutch and go.

This piqued my curiosity last night so I started googling. It seems slipper clutches are commonly used in tractor power takeoffs, large industrial equipment, and motorcycles.

The motorcycle use was interesting. I don't ride so maybe this is old news to those that ride but on bikes, they're used to keep the rear wheel from being locked up by suddenly closing the throttle.

Seems like the OP needs to install it and go for a drive, then report back.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

• 1 year later...

Stumbled onto this old tread. Did what this is get resolved?

I was originally thinking external limited slip clutch pack but that would require a spool or other locked center section to work so I'm going with slipper clutch for smooth starts for people with limited clutch skills.

Married couple with only one car, one of them (politically correct for wife) is not good with a clutch and the other one (husband) doesn't want to buy an automatic

Reminds me of the first time I saw a auto 911, was surprised that they would even make such a thing

tumblr_ngp7ia4Dde1qhnegdo1_r1_500_zpsdyj

Edited by Fatherof3

Well being half Italian and half Redneck...(not kidding). It is easy to figure out here and what not. I am surprised you guys can't figure it out.

Using my Italian engineering knowledge and Redneck inginuity, the answer would be obvious.

You are short a few turns of some .5mil thick semi-soft (tungsten alloy) baling wire

and 4 2.3 meter strips of partially sticky duct tape....

If that don't work, There is a mechanic you can send it to. Bubba Giordano he will get it back to you in about 8 weeks or a couple of months. Whichever comes first.

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.