• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blasphemy From Hagerty

zinz

Somebody find a tall tree and short rope...

Go to #3 on the list   http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2014/03/03/Boomer-vs-Gen-X

The lynch mob will be gathering at the town square at high noon... coffee and doughnuts will be served.

post-42878-0-06822100-1394457063.jpg

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Money is root of all evil. I actually don't disagree with this article.  Get the spot light off my car.

Its hard for a car guy watch money guys fk up a great car culture.  I have been chapped about the inflated valuation of 2002s for a couple years now.  Particularly Tii.  It just causes a cash grab and a ton of bad restos sold at a premium to unsuspecting newbies.. 

And the Tii values have gone so stupid that to the level that a person buying in today will be hard pressed to see a significant increase in the next 20 years.   The kids coming up today won't care enough to spend 50k on a 75 year old BMW 2002Tii..  Besides, gas will be phased out and the cars will be even more difficult to put on the road.

Buy a carb'd 2002 and have more fun, today. 

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I can't speak for younger car guys, but cars with a lot more plastic than metal don't interest me.  The cars I like the best were built in the late 1950's, the 1960's and part way into the 1970's.  (Though I do make exceptions for BMW's; at least through the E46 model.)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

dont pay no mind to  that article......

911's have horrible ventilation.....and a T can feel a bit anemic.

its always a double edged sword...

...as we want our cars to have (resale)value as we sink more time and money into them.....but yet we dont want values to go too high, as collectors get involved and values become unrealistically hi.....and  we get cautious about driving them and/or we cant afford another...lol

I think  02 values are on the climb for sure..but I just think itll take a long time to reach say,  GTV prices........if ever.

Orig cars, or very well restored cars will remain the biggest dollar cars....but they will raise the prices across the board.

The days of mint 02's for 5k are over......

Edited by jrkoupe

That's actually an asinine comparo-  "I like cars with 25 more years of development because they're more reifined."

That's like saying I prefer a 4- star restaurant to picking an apple off the tree- "Because the linens are better."

Of COURSE the 3rd gen RX7 is 'better' than a 240z- 25 years of computer- aided development, you useless patch of diaper rash!

I'm surprised Hagerty would put that up- except that, oh, nice, now 90's cars are 'collectable'.

Fah.

And the ventilation in a 2002 is 'marginal' not 'non- existent'.   If you want non- existant, get a type 1 microbus.

Oh, wait, no, we prefer the first- generation Odysey since it's more 'refined.'

Dorks.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby couldnt of said it better!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

And the ventilation in a 2002 is 'marginal' not 'non- existent'.   If you want non- existant, get a type 1 microbus.

I get PLENTY of ventilation from my VW Microbus (63 DC to be exact) when I open the safari windows!!! :D :D :D

Couldnt resist....

Ben in SC

I can't speak for younger car guys, but cars with a lot more plastic than metal don't interest me.  The cars I like the best were built in the late 1950's, the 1960's and part way into the 1970's.  (Though I do make exceptions for BMW's; at least through the E46 model.)

For me, it's still the chrome that makes an old car a classic.  A '76 2002 is a classic; a '77 320i is just an old car. 

Of course there are exceptions (a Ferrari 308, a Alfa GTV, and an 80's 911 come immediately to mind).  And things might change, although I still can't imagine a 90's car ever becoming a classic.

hnichols

Comparing a 200hp car to what 120hp car tops. I never really had much trouble pulling away or passing on the highway in my 02, and even with 4th gear at 4300 rpm on the highway it really wasn't bad. Fuel fumes, meh, people have cabin air filters nowadays so they are too pampered.

Give me an 02 over an e30 M3, I will gladly thrash one and have more fun not worrying about a darn thing! Also, a 240z over an ugly rx7 any day!

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

And things might change, although I still can't imagine a 90's car ever becoming a classic.

The price of late e30's starting to climb. When I was looking for a 91 318is I saw one on eBay go for 9K! Anyone check the values of stock, mint first gen Miata's? My Mom has a 97 with less than 30K on it and when I have taken it out people comment on it as if it was a classic. I once got a similar comment in my 86 CRX si.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 2 months later...