• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Does The '02 Handle In The Harsher Weather? (Noob Question)

S-L

Dont bother with it in the snow. Rain is another story... I've DD'd mine for the 4 years since I've owned it and always been careful to not take it out with fresh deicer down or in the snow unless I know the parking lot has no salt in it :P But they do fine in the rain. I dont mind it at all. Just be prepared to do some rust repair every few years...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Oregon & Washington don't use much salt.

Didn't used to.  "De- Icer"  "oh, it's not salt"  Horseshit.  It's a salt.  It's not TABLE salt, but it's corrosive.  Lived in

the rust belt.  Saw rust- belt cars.  See what that shit does to cars.  It's salt.

Add a LSD to 4 snows, and when we got that snow in (what, 2008?) that mayor 5c didn't want to plow because

'it might hurt the fishes.  Oh, and the road dots) I was having a hard time with the 4x4's.

Yeah, they kept getting in my way.

Goes ANYWHERE. 

Don't do it, though- the rust is too brutal.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

'it might hurt the fishes. Oh, and the road dots) I was having a hard time with the 4x4's.

Toby,  Dunsmuir California, 50 year homies tell me the biggest fish are in city limits, they wont salt the roads for said Trout, everybody whos anybody drives a Turbo Cummins, they keep bustin knuckles, I keep rollin. Building my 68 for DD status my 76 will be my Queen, shes a viable candidate for Bavarian Beast of the Year

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I loveeeee my 2002 in the snow. I LOOK FORWARD TO IT! I've been having a blast these past couple days getting sideways and generally hooning about. Yes there is salt to contend with. It's metal. It will rust. Rust can be cut out and replaced. Stop worrying about trying to prevent every last scratch and rust bubble, it will happen. If it's a pristine example, then save it. But if its a driver, then drive the sucker until its broken. Then fix it and drive it some more. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Put four snows on a front wheel drive beater and you're all set.  

Note: Back in the 80's my tii was a blast to drive in the snow.  I had Phoenix 3011 tires and they worked great.  I made plenty of ski trips to VT and NH and always washed the sand/salt off when I got home but there is no way to get it out of all the little hiding places.  Save you '02 for sunny weather and you'll be much happier!

attachicon.gifPhoenix_Stahlflex_DAVMAC_ad.jpg

Geez it was crazy to see this...

I was at Davmac, putting myself thru grad school......the 3011 was THE hot tire.....it gripped like no other back in the day...it was an ultra summer tire.....by no means a winter tire....lol

great stuff.

Edited by jrkoupe

Save your collectable 2002 and go buy a $500 Audi Quattro from the 80s or 90s. They are unstoppable in the snow. I had an '87 5000 and '91 200 20v and both never got stuck even in the historic snow falls of late here in MD. They way they handle the snow is unreal. I was passing stuck 4x4 trucks.

I'd say an E30 325ix as well but they are getting to be valuable collectables.

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I'm planning on driving my 2002 in the winter, this is more for interest,

How is the heater?  Can it keep up with the cold? Does the engine keep heat in the cold? 

I'm in Saskatchewan Canada, and nice days during the winter -20C.  Ugly is -40.  Things don't work right at -40.

I found a registration from 1977 in Calgary AB, and my friend (a previous owner) drove it in Calgary for a couple years in the early 2000's (2002 maybe ;) ).  Calgary can get similar temps as my location, but has many more warm days than Saskatoon.

Just wondering

Edited by xferboy

Ive had mine down to about 25* F and its fine. I can roast myself inside the car at that temperature!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The heater in my car will roast my right foot.  Anything is better than the pathetic heaters (engine RPM dependent fume blower) that were in my previous VW's.  I had to keep a squeegie and scraper for use inside the windshield on my 66.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The heater in my car will roast my right foot.  Anything is better than the pathetic heaters (engine RPM dependent fume blower) that were in my previous VW's.  I had to keep a squeegie and scraper for use inside the windshield on my 66.

My '74 Beetle could soften the rubber on the outer aspect of my left shoe after a number of hours at highway speed!  I carried a chamois to keep the interior windows clear. 

The fan-controlled blower was a revelation/revolution in the 2002 in coming from the bug.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif