• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2002Tii Owner

ctim87

New 2002tii owner here. I look forward to using this forum as a source of good information and helpful hints as I start my journey with my 1974 2002tii. I was able to snag this off Craigslist for a very decent price. The car seems to run pretty well and the interior is in pretty darn good condition. There is some rust that will need to be addressed but what unrestored 02 doesn't... Shock towers aren't too bad though so that's helpful.

I found the car on CL in my brother's town so he went and picked it up for me. I'll be heading down in a week or so to do some work on it and make sure it's safe for the ~300 mile trek back to my house. Having not acutally seen it yet, but trusting my brothers opinion to buy it :), it appears the smog stuff has been removed and there is a K&N on it. Other than that it appears stock and original.

Any tips/advice for my first work weekend on it? I'll be doing an oil change and hopefully a coolant flush if time permits. I'm thinking about getting the tune-up kit form bav auto (cap, plugs, points, fuel filter, etc...) as well as new cables to freshen her up a bit. Does anyone have a cable recommendation? OEM? BavAuto? Other?

Also, anything else for a weekend tune up recommended? Or items I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance and I plan to become a regular around here.

post-45615-0-15750600-1376487333_thumb.j

Welcome!

Lots of helpful people and information on this forum to help you through your new acquisition.

BTW, the 74Tii did not have any smog stuff orginally.  If there's K&N filter on there, most likely that the original airbox was removed.  Those are very good and expensive - so if seller still has it, see if your brother can pick it up.

Post some pics.

Not sure what cables you are referring to.  The Tii used mechanical linkage for the throttle.  Download the K-fisher manual, make your self some of the tools need to tune it (or buy the tools).

Byas

Welcome!  You found the right spot.  Another invaluable reference site:  http://www.2002tii.org/

For parts, check with:

http://www.blunttech.com/

http://www.bimmer.com/

Place a "want to buy" request for the original style air cleaner at the classifieds section here, unless the previous owner has it.

mRS9SKNgqkdD-L-N4akHosQ.jpg

What part of the world are you in?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks for the links. I wasn't too sure of parts places and when I had my E30 I just got everything through bavauto. I'll check those places out for sure.

I realize now I had the ignition wires on my mind so that's what I was refering to when I said cables.

The car is currently in St. Louis. It will hopefully be in Iowa within a month or so.

Welcome to the club!   I see you are a VW fan (unless that picture is at your brother's place).

Make sure you get every scrap of paper, manuals and any spare parts that the seller can include. 

The 74tii USA air cleaner is a 1-year only part that has a vacuum limiter valve mounted to a bracket on the center canister.

See here

pics10302010040.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Welcome to the madness! What possesses people to want to drive 40-year-old cars?

Get it home safely, then post photos. What is the VIN? Does your tii still have the fuel injection installed? You'll get lots of help here identifying what you actually have.

1974 tii's did have some kind of emission control valve mounted on the air box. I don't know what it does, but you don't need it to get the car running well.

As far as where to start:

Brake inspection - take the wheels off and check them out. My first '02 had less than 1mm thick, and cracking, front brake pads left when I bought it. I felt lucky to get it home in one piece.

Suspension and steering - you can do some of this with the wheels off during the brake check.

Body and frame integrity - your safety depends on it. Poke at the usual suspect areas with a sturdy pointy metal probe. I once poked a quarter-sized "surface rust" spot with my finger, and easily removed 12" of rotted front frame rail with my fingers.

Fuel system check - inspect all filters and replace them. If you make the 300 mile trip without stalling, your fuel system is at least functional. If it's still got the tii stuff, there are several screens in addition to the filter.Check them all. If they're clean, you're lucky to purchase a 39 year old car with clean fuel system. If there's crud, the fuel tank is probably the same way. A choked up fuel system will leave you stranded, probably when you're with a girl you really care about.

Engine - start with valve adjust, compression check, electrical tune up, then adjust the fuel system.

Fix any problems you find before moving to the next step.

Good luck with your project! It looks pretty good in the picture.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

WOW !!  great find, you're gonna love it !!

I'll add to your work list:  

a)  changing transmission oil and rear drive oil.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/142374-lubricants-grease-etc/?hl=transmission+oil#entry933527

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/140793-transmission-fluid/?hl=transmission+oil#entry927585

B)  topping up the oil in the steering box.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/140198-steering-box-oil/?hl=transmission+oil#entry933704

Cheers,

Carl

Welcome welcome. You will have a blast with it. Post some more pics when you get a chance.

Lots of great tii info on here - just search what you're curious about. These folks have helped me a ton.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Great purchase!  By selling off most of the interior along with any spares and documents the seller had in store, you might get your final acquisition price down into the $500-1000 range, making it a sweet basis for a racecar in the 24 Hours of Lemons or Chump Car series.  Not that you'd likely want to do that, but it's an option.  The 74 tii that our team has raced in Lemons for the past 2 1/2 years has won us three trophies, including "I Got Screwed", "Nothing Works", and "I Got 2002 Problems But a Win Ain't One."  Infamy and endless ridicule in the racing series of your choice are just bonuses when you own a tii.

Edited by williamggruff

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be going to put a long weekend of work into it next weekend I'll be sure to get a lot of pics and more information about the car. Hopefully 1 or 2 weekends like that and I'll be comfortable with driving back up to my house where the real down and dirty can happen!

What is the VIN? Does your tii still have the fuel injection installed? You'll get lots of help here identifying what you actually have.

Fuel system check - inspect all filters and replace them. If you make the 300 mile trip without stalling, your fuel system is at least functional. If it's still got the tii stuff, there are several screens in addition to the filter.Check them all. If they're clean, you're lucky to purchase a 39 year old car with clean fuel system. If there's crud, the fuel tank is probably the same way. A choked up fuel system will leave you stranded, probably when you're with a girl you really care about.

2781983 and yep, it still has the fuel injection.

Are the fuel screens right there with the filter or are they all throughout the system? I did order the Haynes manual but that's it so far. Not sure if it specifies. I suppose I can just unclog those (if necassary) and there wouldn't really be a need to replace them, correct?

I'm trying to get my parts order list down since I'll be traveling 5 hours to work on it...

Didn't see this above but should be done with your brake inspection--full brake fluid change and bleed, including bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. There was a post not too long ago about fuel filters/screens, there are a number of them on the 2002tii:

1. Fine mesh on in-tank fuel pickup

2. Coarse mesh cone on intake port of under-car electric fuel pump. Sometimes they have been removed

3. Canister fuel filter in engine Bay--make sure to use the tii high pressure metal one

4. Fine mesh barrel filter inside the banjo bolt on the KF pump intake. When I looked at mine years ago it was half eaten away and I took it out. Not sure if still available, I do not even see it shown on the Real OEM parts diagram.

Another thing to watch are the plastic injector lines and the O-rings for the suction valve plugs on the K-Fisch. The lines last a long time but when they break they send a fine spray of fuel into the engine bay at 550-600 psi. Not a bad idea to put them on your replacement list if they look original. Also, the KF O-rings eventually dry out and start to leak. Again, we are talking high pressure fuel behind those rings. There are FAQ threads about what to use for replacements--from the dealer very expensive but from an HVAC supply store cheap. I think they should be made from Buna-N, but others can clarify. I keep a set in my parts kit in case I need them.In a pinch simple rubber o-rings from the hardware store work, but they are not fuel-resistant and should be replaced as soon as possible (even though I have had them last pretty long).

--Fred '74tii & '69 DCOE (and '73tii for 20 years previously)

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

• 1 month later...

2 months later I finally have the car in my garage! The car is a blast but definitely needs some tlc. Here are a couple more pics and thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be using the search feature frequently around here...

2002.jpg

Engine1.jpg

Looks like you still have the original tii nose piece, which is good. Also, your wheels seem to be of some 13" Alpina replica type. That's a good thing in some people's eyes.

That passenger rear quarter will more than likely have to be replaced.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Welcome, it's good to have another 74tii on board. Jim is correct; the only smog equipment on the 74 was that decel valve on top of your erstwhile air cleaner. I eventually discarded mine, it works on a vacuum retard system connected to the distributor, which I had to have recurved to work well without it.

Car looks good; don't be in too much of a hurry, this is a fun adventure!

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126