• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Fluid

Redline MTL is great stuff. As for how, crawl under there and it will be obvious. It's a lot like changing oil. Just loosen the fill plug first, so you know you can get the new fluid in. Invest in some sort of fluid transfer pump too. 

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

i see you are new to forum.  key thing to learn...the search function is your friend.

this topic has been covered many times.  try a search on "trans and fluid" and you will find many answers.

also invest in a shop manual for your car. the factory manual is available in pdf for on this site.

2xM3

As it was said before, Redline MTL GL-4. Most likely will need 17mm Allen wrench. Ensure fill plug loosen before drain plug is removed.
It is good idea to change differential fluid while you are under the car. I believe need 12mm Allen wrench.

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

4-speed (AVOID! GL-5 gear oil!!) &  (AVOID! "Hypoid Gear Oil!")

or  5-speed ? (you can use simple ATF from any filling station)

which box is in your car ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Your plug may be an 'outie', too, so don't be surprised if you see something that looks like

the head of a 19mm bolt...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Your plug may be an 'outie', too, so don't be surprised if you see something that looks like

the head of a 19mm bolt...

t

Yup-  both fill and drain plugs in my 4 speed were/are this way.

pics3192010004.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 7 months later...

As it was said before, Redline MTL GL-4. Most likely will need 17mm Allen wrench. Ensure fill plug loosen before drain plug is removed.

It is good idea to change differential fluid while you are under the car. I believe need 12mm Allen wrench.

In the picture it says "your vehicle requires 1.5Q" of the trans fluid.  Is that correct? 

Edited by Get2theBimmah

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3

It makes a difference what year your gearbox was made. If it is an early 4 speed ( usually pre 1972) it is a Porsche style Synchro box and you need to be very careful about the type of oil you use. As stated before NO HYPOID GEAR OIL!!!! or the Synchros will not work (for long)  If it is a later 4 speed (72 on) then MTL, GL4 or GL5 is just fine.  If it is a OD 5 speed the GL4-5 and MTL works great.  If for some reason you have a early Close Ratio 5 speed the requirements are the same as the early 4 speed, be careful those synchros are really expensive!

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

i see you are new to forum.  key thing to learn...the search function is your friend.

this topic has been covered many times.  try a search on "trans and fluid" and you will find many answers.

also invest in a shop manual for your car. the factory manual is available in pdf for on this site.

+1

search "lube specifications"

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10