• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

points or no points

rnavarro

Hey everybody. Just got a 1970 and it still has points in the distributer. What's the advantage of having the electronic ignition instead of points? Is one better than the other or just preference?

I think i'll stay with points!

Spring for the Pertronix.

No adjusting, more even/hotter spark, not bothered by a bit of

distributor slop.

That said, make sure your advances work and that the thing's not TOO worn-

if it's a sloppy dishrag, it'll never run as well as it could.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Points have been in cars long before electronics have , I have points in one car and electronic in the other , properly set up points are great , if your adding performance goodies and want/need a hotter spark , or are not up to adjusting points , go electronic. Set and forget against set and set again some time later.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I like points because it keeps my alert! If I can't install & adjust points I'm too old to drive it anymore! Ha!

Seriously, both are fine...I have two '02's with points and one with electronic ignition (Crane XR700)...but guess what I take with me on trips as a spare? You guessed it...."points and condenser"! If my electronic ignition fails I'm clueless & screwed! I'm not electronically inclined...will go to the points immediately!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Both are good; I had a Crane XR-700 unit in one of my 2002's and also ran my 1969 2000 for 8 years on points; only adjusted the points regularly, distributor was new when I bought the NK 2000, never a problem ignition wise. I'd keep your points/condensor though, in the glovebox or

in your '02 somewhere with your spares, just in case

Tim

Real men don't use electronic ignition.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Points are a PITA in a 2002, but not so much so in a 1972 Chevy Suburban. Chevrolet put a little door in the distributor cap that allows you to adjust the points with a dwell meter hooked up and the engine running. Dial it in, close the door and forget about it.

I wish BMW had figured this out! I was thinking of trying to make a set of points work this way in my 02, but there is not much room in there.

Drives me NUTS to adjust point gap on the 02. Turn on engine-check dwell-turn off the engine-adjust the gap-start engine-check-turn off engine-adjust-turn on engine-check-to get it right.

Running points at the moment. Took the Pertronix out to find the cause of a stuttering issue. Pertronix was not the cause. I plan on putting it back some day. Nice that it is so easy to switch back and forth.

Tom

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

Tom,

You're right about the sliding inspection door/window on the distributor cap....in the old days I owned Chevys and that was a great way to adjust the points. One thing the Germans just didn't "get" I suppose! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Nothing wrong with going to a Pertronix. I ran points for probably the first 20k I owned my car and had 2 different types of pertronix go through my hands (all the wrong ones for my car) before I got the right one and have been running it since with no issues.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2