• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Exhaust Part 2

Stu

Took the car to a muffler shop to install a support hanger to cure the inevitable rattle (muffler pipe against the rear subframe or the CV joint). The shop ended up re-installing the exhaust, and dispensed with the inadequate factory hangers.

The end result is the exhaust is now perfectly set, at least 1 1/2 inches clearance around the the subframe and CV, and it is absolutely immobile.

Pics of the new hangers:

014_zps36c54412.jpg

016_zps6428925a.jpg

The unnecessary parts:

020_zps79ae1070.jpg

The car, as it should be:

017_zpsc7a2bd26.jpg

018_zpsadfc50b6.jpg

Nothing a cutting torch, hacksaw, and large mallet couldn't take care of.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job on getting a rattle free exhaust.

That weld is going to rust and tear out of the pipe.

Did they run all thread through your subframe?

Not the worst I have seen but they didn't do you any favors.

At least it doesn't rattle!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I went the other way -- my '74Tii came with a custom exhaust that did not use the original hangers and rattled a lot. I cut of the hanger bits from an old exhaust, had it welded onto the custom exhaust and used the original hangers -- worked well.

Byas

YIKES!

if you can't say something nice,

then don't say anything at all.

I have no issues with IE on this exhaust; I absolutely love it. It's just that cars this old have their differences, and for mine the stock hangers just didn't do the job.

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I cut of the hanger bits from an old exhaust, had it welded onto the custom exhaust and used the original hangers -- worked well.

Byas

Bingo!

That's what I specified when I had a custom 2.25" exhaust built with mandrel bent tubing. No rattles and I can replace all the hangers and inserts with factory pieces.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I have yet to install mine but thought with twists and turns of the pipes Ireland Exhausts were rattle and trouble free?

I know stock stock stock.... I am slow and compulsive! My sincerest apologies to C.D..... I am learning

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

I'm a stock guy, but I'll say it again. The OEM exhaust is crap. Center resonator heat sheild rattles, and rear muffler leaks brown soot along the edges. 12 months old.

The one time I wish I'd bought the IE exhaust, sweated through the install and kept some money in my pocket.

First I've heard that the IE exhaust CANT be fitted with stock hangers.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I'm a stock guy, but I'll say it again. The OEM exhaust is crap. Center resonator heat sheild rattles, and rear muffler leaks brown soot along the edges. 12 months old.

The one time I wish I'd bought the IE exhaust, sweated through the install and kept some money in my pocket.

Please let me clarify my post. Yes, the exhaust can be fitted with stock hangers. I wanted mine more firmly held to the car, as a matter of preference. However, with the rear muffler correctly set on the stock hangers, the exhaust exit was about 1 inch left of center (see pic). I saw no way to adjust it--it is where it is. That is the main reason I chose not to use the stock hangers.

013_zps8dfe84f3.jpg

I think the lesson here is that one should not expect anything to be "bolt on" when concerning cars that are +/- 40 years of age. Even with a piece that is of pretty high quality, such as Ireland's exhaust. It is for this reason that I was convinced to run a fully custom exhaust. I think there are two benefits of going this route: 1. you get to select your own components and 2. the exhaust is designed to fit to your particular vehicle.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

+1 Ive had mine on five plus years! Would not go back!

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

You do know the stock center hole for the exhaust is not in the center of the car!!

It depends on the year: at least for U.S. models, round taillight cars have right-side exhausts, square taillight cars have center exhausts although they retain a vestigial "cut-out" at the right side of the rear valance. On these square taillight cars, blank metal fills the right side cut-out from the factory (unless, of course, someone attempted to fit an early exhaust to a later car, as happened to mine in 1978 by the ham-fisted dealer and, apparently, Stu's car at some point).

Steve

Edit 11-28-12: (1.) early square taillight cars came with the right-side exhaust; I don't know the switchover date (?'75 models?); (2.) the center exhaust, after "that" date, may have included some non-U.S. cars -- e.g., the 2002 Turbo moved from a right to a center exhaust during its production.

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I suspect you're right: there's an old thread on 2002 Turbo exhaust exits and there didn't appear to be an unambiguous cut-off date for the move from right-side to center. (Although like many of us, I wish we could simply say "before VIN #" and "beginning with VIN #"!)

Thanks,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)