• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need opinions for paint: Mintgrün, Türkis, or Taiga?

Well, I've decided to throw in the towel and paint my whole car. Engine's out, tank is out, trim is stripped, and any trouble spots have been repaired. Problem is that my car sometime previously had crappy macco red and spots of POR-15 put over the original Jade. I actually don't love either color, so I'm planning to prep sand down far enough to make sure I have good adhesion (but not all the way down to bare metal) and then get the whole car, trunk, engine bay, and jams sprayed a-new. My questions are as follows:

A.) Is this a good plan in general?

B.) How do I best prep the hard to reach spots in the engine bay? Just rough up with some hand sand paper?

C.) I love 02s best in light green colors. What are opinions on Mintgrün vs. Türkis vs. Taiga?

I really only want to spend $2-2.5K on this whole painting thing, hence why I'm trying to do a lot of the prep myself and don't want to go down to bare metal or remove/spray the interior.

post-954-13667662449439_thumb.jpg

trying to keep the paint job under $2500????!!!!! with a color change and not wanting it to look hacked?

how can you 'not love' Jade, but desire mintgrun?

my advice: go out on a few dates with Jade, try to accept her for her orginality and lower prep time and effort. think of it as a comfortable pair of worn shoes. with some effort and polish, she'll shine much easier at your pricepoint than a complete color change.

you have choices. either save up in preparation for more cost,

or lower your expectations, or concentrate on ridding yourself of that horrid red overcoat and spending your money on the exterior portion only and hope for the best at $2500 returning it to its original color.

any of your color choices would be fine, but not likely to happen at your target price.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

trying to keep the paint job under $2500????!!!!! with a color change and not wanting it to look hacked?

my advice: go out on a few dates with Jade, try to accept her for her orginality and lower prep time and effort. think of it as a comfortable pair of worn shoes. with some effort and polish, she'll shine much easier at your pricepoint than a complete color change.

or lower your expectations, or concentrate on ridding yourself of that horrid red overcoat and spending your money on the exterior portion only and hope for the best at $2500 returning it to its original color.

any of your color choices would be fine, but not likely to happen at your target price.

I totally agree on these points. Jade is a nice color especially when fresh and it will also keep your resale up. If money no object I love Taiga most of all.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Well, I've decided to throw in the towel and paint my whole car. Engine's out, tank is out, trim is stripped, and any trouble spots have been repaired. Problem is that my car sometime previously had crappy macco red and spots of POR-15 put over the original Jade. I actually don't love either color, so I'm planning to prep sand down far enough to make sure I have good adhesion (but not all the way down to bare metal) and then get the whole car, trunk, engine bay, and jams sprayed a-new. My questions are as follows:

A.) Is this a good plan in general?

B.) How do I best prep the hard to reach spots in the engine bay? Just rough up with some hand sand paper?

C.) I love 02s best in light green colors. What are opinions on Mintgrün vs. Türkis vs. Taiga?

I really only want to spend $2-2.5K on this whole painting thing, hence why I'm trying to do a lot of the prep myself and don't want to go down to bare metal or remove/spray the interior.

does the paint sticker in the engine bay say "jadegrun"? to me, that paint under the resale red looks like amazonas grun.

Well said!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Dagnabbit, if you don't like jadegrun just paint it what you like!!! It's a plain jane spongebob fer chrissakes! Paint it a 1502 color that's not a 2002 color (resedagrun, topazbraun, rubinrot, korall, phoenix, madeira, sierrabeige) Go against the grain (although at some point you may get splinters)

agreed ^^^

these aren't million dollar concours cars. paint it the color you want... it's your car, and you need to pick a color that you like and can live with every day.

hell, when i'm done with mine, i expect the hatemail to flow in...

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com