• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to Speak with the Elder of the 02FAQ Site

justinevert

I like it the way it is now. Easy to browse multiple subjects - just like a family room (or large garage). After trying to limit my photo "attachment" sizes, I finally woke up and got a Photobucket Pro account.

Too bad most folks don't know about the great information already in the "02 FAQs" and "Under construction articles".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i like it as it is as well. The only changes that could be helpful is to catagorize parts for sale, especially a wheel section.

Otherwise I enjoy the living room feel of the site

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

my option revised v0.2

Engine Mechanical & Fuel Systems Discussion

Suspension / Steering / Brakes Discussion

Clutch/Auto/Manual Transmission/ Drive Shaft/Rear Drive /

Pedal Controls Discussion

Body & Engine Electrical Discussion

Wheels / Tires Discussion

EFI Fuel System Conversions Discussion

Turbocharging / Supercharging Discussion

Engine conversions Discussion

Body Shell / Glass / Doors / Sun Roof / Rust Restoration Discussion

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

We don't have so many daily "general discussion" postings that it's impossible to go through 'em all in a few minutes, and for those of us who do more answering than asking, it's a whole lot easier to look at one listing rather than a bunch.

In addition, for those of us who learn new stuff from the board every day, having only one topic area to read through is easier. I also view the RV3 board, and much prefer our "general discussion" topic area than breakdowns.

just my 2 cents worth.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Administrators

I find it interesting how you guys are split on weather you want a single forum or multiple ones. I do not know which is better. I know that i do not read more then one or two forums on other sites that have 20 of them open.

I might have a solution to this. I can place mandatory "Prefix" that has to be chosen by the post author that will identify the post. Engine, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes, EFI, Turbo, Racing, Introduction, Events. Those who want to see all together can chose to do so, others can specify which type of posts that want to see.

I noticed a lot of people mention "simple". What do you guys mean by that? From administrative point right now, things are not too simple. Registration process is weak and allows spam bots to get through. it is hard to keep. It is hard to get a good useful thread to become an article. It is hard to ask people to write for us, when they have to have some tech knowledge to publish things.

Those are the things i am trying to resolve. Yes, majority of the traffic on this site is in the forums, and it will probably stay that way. Bu i want and always wanted for the FAQ to be a vast resource of data that is not just in the forums. Large number of technical and non technical articles. Event and meet write ups with photos. Race accounts. Peoples, personal blogs. Club and group sections. And we also have NK guys here now. They really just have one forum at the moment. I want them to feel a bit more welcome with their own articles and resources. And if other classic BMW guys want to join, i want to be able to accommodate them with ease.

So, those are the things i am working on at the moment.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

remove the " Forum Search " - its useless.

make bold with arrow " SITE SEARCH "

because it's excellent finding any subject & topic

Weird, I use the Forum search all the time as I look for Turbo. I can see where it brings up a lot of useless results but none the less it is useable.

Steve sounds great and I am sure you will make great changes to the site.

I do believe it best that you have to be a registered member and logged in to post or comment on posts

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

• Administrators
Is there a way to have the multiple forums for those that want that but yet a general forum with all the posts in the multiple forums?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is one.. The only way I can think of doing this is by adding the prafix to the title as described above.

Steve K.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Is there a way to have the multiple forums for those that want that but yet a general forum with all the posts in the multiple forums?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is one.. The only way I can think of doing this is by adding the prafix to the title as described above.

Steve K.

That makes good sense Bill if it can be done. Almost like a way each user can customize what forums they recieve but it comes in a general forum format. Maybe a profile for each user and we can pick what sub-catagories we want to show up in our own forum. So it interacts the same as the current general Forum but with the sub cats we chose to receive. Is that possible Steve?

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I noticed a lot of people mention "simple". What do you guys mean by that?

People like the "feel" of the board. Its easy to view without being overly bloated with tons of scripts, emoticons, and ads.

As far as the back end goes, I understand what you mean. We do need to update this a more current release that is easier to manage.

How many servers are you using? I have access to a few VMs in a data center that we may be able to use.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

.....The only way I can think of doing this

is by adding the prefix to the title.....

.....I can place mandatory "Prefix" that has to

be chosen by the post author that will

identify the post. Engine, Drivetrain,

Suspension, Brakes, EFI, Turbo,

Racing, Introduction, Events.

= Excellent!, make it so .

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"