• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to Speak with the Elder of the 02FAQ Site

justinevert

Make it all Bummerforums or r3vlimeted segmented, I think you'll lose people.

well put.

This site's simplicity is part of it's charm, just like a 2002!

My opinion, the only thing to change would be to have the site setting set so that a new post bumps a thread to the top (and not have users make that change manually).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should be a sticky.

;-)

Ray

+1 for simplicity! It's the best thing here that there's no separate sections for each damn issue like on other forums.

EDIT: I prefer even Otis' pics in same section :-)

Tommy

They probably are already sticky coming from Otis.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

REMOVE = '02 General Discussion & Off Topic

re organize to :

Body Electrical (incl. Audio, Aux Lighting, Aux cooling fans)

Body Repairs ( incl. all glass, bumpers, body repair, doors,

sunroof, rust repair, interior, seats, steering wheels)

Engine Electrical

Engine Fuel System (carburetor)

Engine Fuel System (Kugelfischer - Alpina)

Engine Fuel System (EFI conversions)

Engine Mechanical

Exhaust

Engine Cooling - Heating - Air Conditioning

Manual Transmission - Automatic Transmission - Clutches - Pedal Controls

Drive Line - Rear Diff - Rear Axles

Suspension - Steering - Brakes

Wheels - Tires

Parts for Sale

Parts Wanted

Cars for Sale - Wanted

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Be careful about too many sub sections. It ends up splitting us up in the different forums. Notice I use the term "us". I know this forum is for information purposes but it is also a meeting place for all of us.

Think of a family gathering at a medium size house.

Then someone in the family gets a 6000 sq ft house. Everyone spreads out and you never get to talk with uncle Ed or the kid cousins caus Ed is out by the pool and the kids are down stairs playing video games.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

The only thing I really need is to be able to subscribe to the for sale section so when someone posts an ad it emails me instantly and to my phone.

It is nice having the parts come when they are listed when your on the go.

I think the sub sections might be good also but keep the family room so we don't lose touch and still hang out there. We would just pop in the sub sections to get our specific questions answered yet still hang in the general room.

I guess one more thing might be to require to register in order to post.

Really all I need is the sale ads sent to me.

um sub sections make life easy. You can still have a easy to follow, clean forum, with multiple categories and sections. This forum is ugly, outdated, and confusing. I spend a lot of time on forums and dread trying to find anything on this site.

Nothing against the people on it. Enjoy a lot of the posts and information... just hate the setup and mediocre features.

This picture crosses my mind each time I pull up 2002faq

AOL.jpg

The site is not broken, is it? Can't the last sane place on the internet stay as is? We don't even fill a page daily on the General Disussion board now. Why fragment it into ten sub forums? The 2002 is beautifully simple; so should the board that we meet to discuss all aspects of them. Please don't turn the board into an E90 with runflats.

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Be careful about too many sub sections. It ends up splitting us up in the different forums. Notice I use the term "us". I know this forum is for information purposes but it is also a meeting place for all of us.

Think of a family gathering at a medium size house.

The site is not broken, is it? Can't the last sane place on the internet stay as is? We don't even fill a page daily on the General Disussion board now. Why fragment it into ten sub forums? The 2002 is beautifully simple; so should the board that we meet to discuss all aspects of them. Please don't turn the board into an E90 with runflats.

+10000. Most of the newer guys are used to BF, R3V, VWvortex, etc and I understand where they are coming from. FAQ definitely not perfect but I rather not get PMs, have a subpar search function than have this place turn into a clusterf*ck of sub-forums. Heck, I forget we even have an event or off-topic section sometimes. With the way it is, you feel like you know everyone. I do think some of the more knowledgeable oldtimers will go away. An 02 is not a complicated car and this site matches it, warts and all. Just my 0.02, I'll roll with whatever way the site goes.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

um sub sections make life easy. You can still have a easy to follow, clean forum, with multiple categories and sections.

The THING is that you get well organized easy to find questions, BUT you won't get answers to them!

When you look for certain thing it's easier to find when everything is in own section. But for guys who are giving you answers it's so much easier to follow just one board and contribute when it feels you've got something to give.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Here's another vote for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as far as this board goes. As others have posted, it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than a whole bunch of other sites. If a subject or question is posted on the Gen. Discussion that you're not interested in, Don't Click On It. I'm against all the segmentizing of subjects. Leave things the way they are.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

Man. Revamping the forum is a brilliant idea that will only work for those intelligent enough to use it.

At present, there are several sub-forums that users are unable to comprehend. These include "Off Topic" and "Site Suggestions and Questions." Notice how may posts labeled "Off Topic" make it into the "General Discussion" Forum? Imagine how difficult it may be for someone with a vivid imagination about "the days of yore," to decide where to post a question entitled "Quick Question"? (Would that be electrical, fuel, or bodywork?) ( Does the title "Quick Question" make it more likely that there will be a "quick" response to the post?) Maybe there should be a sub forum just for "Quick Questions"?

Then there is the associated problem of spelling both the topic and the text. (Spell check is not much help to the uneducable.) This could be remedied by sub forums that eliminate the need for words and use pict-o-grams exclusively. This is where CD's illustrations and Otis' pictures would become essential. Instead of searching for misspelled words (which is not easy unless the poster habitually misspells those words, exactly the same way, each time they are used) the posters could point to the mislabeled pictures. "My problem is like the girl with the three distributor caps!"

Another solution might be to add sub forums for those that are smart, and another for those who think they are smart. Those who are smart will not have to think twice about it. Those others will create an entertaining collection left for scientists to study. Another possibility might be to create three sub forums: "good advice" and "questionable advice." The third sub forum? Humor. Dayum.