• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver dollar gauge cluster - used until when?

jgerock

Viewing some pictures of some Roundies on the internet, I notice some have the silver dollar clusters and others have the "regular" black gauges like in my '73.

Weren't the silver dollar gauges used up thru 1971? Anyone here know the changeover VIN/year?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe April 1971 was when the change was made to Model 71 cars. Mine's built May 5th and has first round of updates, including the newer cluster, big center console, longer bumpers and waist molding, etc.

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

of the "Modell 71" 2002s. However, some of the changes were phased in, such as the longer bumpers, knee height trim, long console w/ square shift boot, all black gauges etc. I've seen cars with post 2570001 VINs missing some or all of these "modell 71" features...

BMW was well known for just using up stock on hand before switching to a newer part, thus mid-year parts changes.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Interesting. Thanks for replying! Anyone else with an early Model 71?

a) Short vs. long console

B) Silver dollar vs. black gauges

c) Short vs. long bumpers

d)

e)

Are you looking for a list of changes?

d)6v to 12v

e)clear to light green tinted glass?(the 70 parts car I bought had clear glass)

f)shallow grills vs "deeper" roundie grills

g)red center tail vs amber

of the "Modell 71" 2002s. However, some of the changes were phased in, such as the longer bumpers, knee height trim, long console w/ square shift boot, all black gauges etc. I've seen cars with post 2570001 VINs missing some or all of these "modell 71" features...

BMW was well known for just using up stock on hand before switching to a newer part, thus mid-year parts changes.

cheers

mike

Hi Mike,

The info I have collected shows 2572070 as the first model '71, beginning April '71.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

My '68 1600had a later cluster when I got it. Could've been swapped out maybe because the previous odometer broke. It also had seats from a '72 and the motor is from a '76, and strangely a rear subframe with sway bar mounts (which 1600s didn't have).

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Interesting. Thanks for replying! Anyone else with an early Model 71?

a) Short vs. long console

B) Silver dollar vs. black gauges

c) Short vs. long bumpers

d)

e)

Are you looking for a list of changes?

d)6v to 12v

e)clear to light green tinted glass?(the 70 parts car I bought had clear glass)

f)shallow grills vs "deeper" roundie grills

g)red center tail vs amber

h) wiper motor updated

i) turn signal stalks changed

j) 3-piece dash changed to 2-piece dash

k) heater core and valve with larger flow

l) hazard switch changed.

m) door mirrors changed to trapezoid

n) rubber thingy on gas tank filler tube shortened

that's all i can think of....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

d)6v to 12v

that happened a lot earlier, in the '15xxxxx' vin range, as did the

larger brakes...

t

Yup, end of '67 153xxxx to beginning of '68 MY 156xxxx 1600-2s was the 6V to 1V changeover. At least that's when it was for the US 1600s. '68 156xxxx were the first "official" US VIN numbering system. All 2002s were 12 Volt.

But the larger brakes came with a mid '69 changeover, Mike Self knows the VIN beak down of that change.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

ooo, you're right- the brakes were in the 163xxxx range, weren't they?

And later for the 1600's?

(1666365 had bigger calipers as standard)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Mine is an early 71 with the vin of 2570460 and was manufactured in Feb of 71. It has the knee molding and short bumpers. I switched out the silver dollars, console and it was also an automatic to a 5 speed. As I had discovered over the years April was the change over, yet on some cars as a previous poster stated, BMW would use up parts and introduce others to earlier models as they would receive them as the case on mine. Hence the knee molding in February. I inspected mine and was puzzled why I would have knee molding so early in the year. The holes in the rear side quarters are "factory" I had replaced doors and front fenders before a full ground up restoration so obviously they didn't count. My rear quarters were never replaced. BMW was very frugal. Love the earlier short bumper cars. My motto has always been "The earlier the 02 the better quality they were" of course this my own biased opinion.