• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Autozone trim on my 1600

ryansti

My door trim was falling off, or scratching the hood, or scratching the rear... It was time to move onto the generic trim. I went to autozone and purchased two of the Cowles Custom Chrome trim strip @ 1/2" by 18' and used both rolls (not enough left over for anything really). 

If I were to re-do the project, I would definitely go a little larger in size, as the 1/2" doesn't quite cover as much as the stock trim. Also, at some point in the cars life, the hood was replaced with a yellow one. I did not know the extent of the paint job until I peeled off the front trim strips only to find a nice bright yellow stripe along the sides where they didn't bother taking the trim off (the front however has been painted). This meant that the 1/2" strip did not quite cover all of the yellow, and eventually I'll need to find a new hood. 

Also, as a second effort, I probably would have taken all of the trim off at the same time, given the car a really good scrub, and taken the 4 corner clip attachment points off as well. I would have gone through with just one strip around the whole trunk and hood, and then possibly glued on the clips afterwords.  In my haste, I cut the rear trunk too short, which looks terrible. Though, as with the hood, the trunk needs replacing as well. Perhaps I'll get them both from a parts car at some point, and go to town with the details.

Either way: here is some photos of the 1/2" autozone trim on a black (repainted) '74 2002.

Just the door:

post-41531-0-65840500-1396917991_thumb.j

post-41531-0-88947700-1396918002_thumb.j

post-41531-0-87951300-1396918442_thumb.j

The whole car:

post-41531-0-64491700-1396918460_thumb.j

post-41531-0-26367800-1396918495_thumb.j

Terrible seam in the rear that got messed up:

post-41531-0-63931300-1396918483_thumb.j

Aside from the yellow paint underneath, the hood went a little better:

post-41531-0-93912900-1396918548_thumb.j

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

• 5 years later...

The main drawbacks to using that stuff come when you need to remove it.

If it was put on a clean surface, it can bring paint with it when removing. 

My 02s worth? Not a fan, think it looks tacky. Difficult to apply perfectly straight, there can be some noticeable dips, waves, slight bows ECT

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I've seen several cars with the AutoZone trim... never knew the difference till it was pointed out to me. Those cars were well done and used the joint covers to resemble the OE look.  You can't beat the price.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

20 minutes ago, artichokie said:

How do the aluminum repo trim from ie and stainless trim from blunt compare?  Is one better than the other?

Aluminum= soft metal can ding/dent easier.

Ss= Better durability against dings/dents. 

fitment? Not sure. Others may chime in on that. I’ve heard the ss fit well even around the curved contours. I’m also in the market of getting the belt trim once im

done with paint and body. I like the idea of ss, for durability and easier to sand, buff, and polish from fine scratches.