• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving long distance in a 2002 without 5 speed conversion

Any thoughts? Any time i'm driving at and above 65 mph the rpms get really high and the engine is quite loud. As i'm used to more modern vehicles with 5-6 speed transmissions and larger engines, it sounds like i'm going to damage my 2002. Also the speed limits were much lower in 1974. How hard can you drive these cars? And how fast is too fast for the engine? Most people in California just cruise around the beach and tool around town in these cars. I'm all for opening mine up on the freeways.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

What do you consider "long distance"? When I was in college, I'd drive my 4spd '02 from Santa Barbara to the Bay Area every month. I'd drive up Friday, turn around and drive back down Sunday. Approx 330 miles each way. No problems ever. I'd usually keep it at 70, but at times I'd be cruising in the 80's (70 gets boring). Yes there is a lot of engine/road noise...but keep it tuned and fluids fresh and you should be fine.

'72 - 2533095 ex-auto, not stock

'76 - 2374191 PNO - boo, CA SMOG

I drive it up and down the 5....actually going back up in the morning...85+ is easy...revs are higher than most cars...but the M10 engine is designed to do it...actually it was designed to drive at 100 mph ALL DAY LONG!

web.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

How hard can you drive these cars? And how fast is too fast for the engine? Most people in California just cruise around the beach and tool around town in these cars. I'm all for opening mine up on the freeways.

Most of the 02 guys I know, here in California, will open them up every chance we get! Once you get out the macropolises, the state is pretty open, except for the CHP's you can cruise 5-6k rpm's all day long. It gets pretty loud with only 4 gears, 100mph is not uncommon (about 5.2 k rpm's). Having a 5th gear helps because 100 is about 4.3. Last SoCal show we climbed the Grapevine around 4.5 on fifth, I still don't know why people with newer cars were going so slow!

FAQ Member # 91

Those cars were engineered and built in Germany with many sections of road without speed limit. I grew up in Germany and cruising at 4-4.5k rpm was pretty normal back then. If your engine is tuned correctly and warmed up, you won't damage it.

What I do on longer freeway trips, is bring an MP3 player and earbuds. That filters a lot of the road and engine noise, even with your windows rolled down.

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

i just drove to the V@V from seattle and back. around 7000 miles,

i would not have wanted to make the drive without the 5spd conversion i did before the trip, a typical e21 tranny.

there is no downside as 5th is an OD and the 1st four gears are the same as a std 4 spd i believe

one of the best improvements i have done to my tii

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Guest Anonymous
Most of the 02 guys I know, here in California, will open them up every chance we get! Once you get out the macropolises, the state is pretty open, except for the CHP's you can cruise 5-6k rpm's all day long. It gets pretty loud with only 4 gears, 100mph is not uncommon (about 5.2 k rpm's). Having a 5th gear helps because 100 is about 4.3. Last SoCal show we climbed the Grapevine around 4.5 on fifth, I still don't know why people with newer cars were going so slow!

My bother's stock 72 4-speed with a 3.64/1 rear end crossed the United States at least 14 times when some states actually had roads with no speed limit. Pre oil embargo. I eventually inherited that car and rarely drove above 65 mph with the windows down and the air conditioning off due to wind noise. Due to a recent accident, that car was prematurely retired with 250K miles on the original engine. The cars were always aerodynamically challenged and noisy at speed.

However, IF your '74 is equipped with a 3.91 or a 4.11 rear axle ratio, while your engine may be capable of running at extended periods above 4000 rpm, the road/wind/engine noise may be difficult to tolerate for most humans above 25 years of age.

I must admit, when I first got my car, it had Ansa muffler (and 4-speed) and I loved driving it on the highways with the windows down. The sound of the engine and exhaust was music to me, but the wind buffeting my left ear after the drive to V@V 2008 was terrible.

Acceleration in the tii from 50-70mph is excellent in 4th, but I really like the E21 O.D. 5 speed I installed last winter.

I grew up driving VW's and Honda's that only had 4-speeds, so upgrading an "old" car with an O.D. transmission is heaven.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Well a 5 speed would be fun. But in spirit of the 02 I luv pushing around other 02's on the high way by beating them to the punch without having to down shift. The guys in the tii's will ask you when you get off the highway- " Hey what are you running under the hood"? Just wink and smile in o2 style. Jim G.can elaborate.. Have fun4 speed or 5 .

Doug M NY country

I've been driving 02s for over 30 years, never had overdrive, I even had a 4:11/1 1600 for a while, I always thought the cars had a sweet spot at 80mph, all the harmonics seem to settle a bit.

I drove my '74tii to ofest in Keystone from Chicago with other 02s and 3 M cars, we were typically at 85 mph where possible, you get used to the sound after an hour or two as long as you know the car was designed for it.

I've put 281K miles on my ' 75 automatic since I bought it over 28 yrs. ago and, living in Arizona, I usually drive between 85 and 90 on the roads, and have no qualms about doing 95 or 100. Yes, there is some wind and engine noise, but it is not that bothersome. Living in a hotter climate, I must admit, we almost always have the windows up with the A/C on a fair percentage of the time. (By we, I mean my wife's ' 76 automatic in addition to my ' 75). Even in 100º+ days the engine temps rarely go above halfway on the temp guage. As mentioned above, one key is a faithfully maintained engine and entire car.

Bob Napier

PS: Have to admit the wife's ' 76 is a little louder on the highway at speed due to the 3.91 diff vs: the 3.64 in my ' 75. At 85mph she's turning 400 more rpm.

post-478-13667627053937_thumb.jpg

Although it was new, I drove all over Europe in a '71 with a 4 speed at speeds near 100 mph on the autobahn for hours at a time. Actually put 36000 miles on it before I shipped it home. They were designed to be driven like that.

Now, with my current car, also a '71 with 4 speed, I've driven 9 hours at 70-80 with no problems. Pobably has 150000 miles on it. Used a quart of oil, but that's it.

Drive it like you stole it...not my saying...I just like it when referring to a properly maintained 2002.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

I've had 02s with 4-speeds and 5-speeds over the years.

I've always found the 4-speed with a 3.64 rear end to be just fine on the highway. With a 3.91 and a 4-speed, however, I never really enjoyed cruising above 75 mph for sustained distances.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

Good question! Great responses. I know i had that question when I first got my 02. There's that almost-guilty feeling of pleasure when your running an engine at 4,500 rpm for hours, eventually it turns into a song. and then you press down the accelerator a little bit more...maintain the engine/drivetrain and trust.

Spin that baby up to 6k now and then on the local roads when you can, now that's a song!

Mark B

'67 2000CS