• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73tii sells on eBay for $15k -- does this seem high to you?

Check out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200468203873&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Not a restored car, not a certified "lived in a dry climate its entire life and here's the paper trail to prove it," has photos of shock towers but no photos of rockers or undercarriage, interior certainly decent and presentable but not cherry, smokes on deceleration... even the red paint, 5-speed, wheels, and the owner's honest approachable tone notwithstanding, does this seem high to you?

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Looks like it needs a bit more TLC (shock mounts are typical high mileage scary), but the description seems honest like you said.

The ebay market decided that one, whether or not its too high is all of personal opinion, but Tii's have been getting a good premium over carb'd cars, especially fairly original looking cars.

This car seems like a decent survivor otherwise.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

not, if you always wanted a tii, verona red, sunroof with palomino interior, and mostly kept original, with very little rust...

yes, if you don't care about those things and think you can buy a rust bucket tii with trashed interior, barely running for $2000 and make it even better than this car for less.

If something ever happened to Bacchus, I would buy the most original, not restored, sunroof, tii that I could find. The choice of colors probably limited to 3 (malaga, colorado, verona). If I had spent a couple years, searching and this one showed up, I would jump all over it, but not, I was just starting my search....

It would be nice to get it for about 10K, of course, but I don't think that would be possible...

FAQ Member # 91

Not too high to me. It does have flaws but for the most part it's pretty darn original and seems to be in good shape. I like the honest tone of the ad as well and if no hidden rust surprises, feel that this is in the ball park. It even has the original radio and manuals.

Once the new owner has it, they can drive as is and enjoy it, knowing that they have the basis for a nice little show car if they wanted to put some money into repainting it at some point down the road.

Nice car!

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

from this distance/angle - it looks like $28,000

!BsYPj2!EGk~$(KGrHqUOKjkEvPNkw1Y5BL3kv1zLr!~~_35.JPG

but from this distance - it looks nicely original - read:

no money spent on maintainence for mounts and

probably many other mechanical service items

to make it nicer. Still a great car, and worth it to

anyone who wants an unmolested tii -

fair price indeed for those who can afford it.

!BsYP)J!BGk~$(KGrHqEOKikEvMhnK7BJBL3k)Nt7Bg~~_35.JPG!Bsh1WvwCWk~$(KGrHqUOKj0EvOwFNpbRBL4M6oBDcw~~_35.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

If you examine the bids, once the bidding hit $3500, the boys dropped out and the men stepped in. Then there were only about 2 men that continued to bid.

To the seller's benifit, the bidding started early and the bidders were not too intelligent because they kept bidding and the price ran up. Better to lay back and bid once at the end and bid your top dollar. The dumb and inexperienced bidders only bid the minimum over the last bid long before the end of auction and almost always get topped out (unless their top bid is rediculously high).

This car could have been had at a lot less if bidding had been different.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Did it come with the red Chevy pickup in the background?

Fair price, maybe sold a little undervalued IMHO.

Prediction : See it again on EBay in a few weeks for more, maybe cleaned up a bit.

Agree, all you need is another bidder to make a horserace out of an auction but my EBay experience was bad - caught the seller stuffing the ballot box for a GTZ shell I bought. Caught her red handed at the closing and settled the matter nicely though.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

Yes, the price is ePay stupid high. But I think, as is stated more eloquently above,

the ePay process jacked the price into the 'well sold' category.

The 'men' were flopping out their... checkbooks, shall we say?

Locally, on C-list and other non- bidding, non- enthusiast sites, that

looks like something that would ASK up to 10k and sell in the 6-8 range

depending on the weather and the buyer.

And we still have some ill- gotten software money floating around.

BUT we also probably have more (decent) cars floating around than

most of the country, too.

So I wouldn't say that decent, used, driver tii's go for that much. That one did.

But one sold locally not so long ago with a blown headgasket, nice interior

and decent paint for less than 4K, and even with a whole new ENGINE,

it would have been as nice if not nicer than the ePay one for under 10k

(yeah, I thought about it... I'm sure I'll regret not buying it in 10 or 20)

At 15k, putting parts onto it gets hard. At half that, you can do a very

nice cosmetic and mechanical renovation and have a fantastic, reliable

car to use daily. And still not have silly money into it.

That's just my opinion.

But as I freely admit, I'M AN ASS!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes, the price is ePay stupid high. But I think, as is stated more eloquently above,

the ePay process jacked the price into the 'well sold' category.

The 'men' were flopping out their... checkbooks, shall we say?

Locally, on C-list and other non- bidding, non- enthusiast sites, that

looks like something that would ASK up to 10k and sell in the 6-8 range

depending on the weather and the buyer.

And we still have some ill- gotten software money floating around.

BUT we also probably have more (decent) cars floating around than

most of the country, too.

So I wouldn't say that decent, used, driver tii's go for that much. That one did.

But one sold locally not so long ago with a blown headgasket, nice interior

and decent paint for less than 4K, and even with a whole new ENGINE,

it would have been as nice if not nicer than the ePay one for under 10k

(yeah, I thought about it... I'm sure I'll regret not buying it in 10 or 20)

At 15k, putting parts onto it gets hard. At half that, you can do a very

nice cosmetic and mechanical renovation and have a fantastic, reliable

car to use daily. And still not have silly money into it.

That's just my opinion.

But as I freely admit, I'M AN ASS!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

wow, i really like the verona with the tobacco interior! they always seem to be black. i like the AMCO bumper bars, too. factory alloys, sunroof...nice.

one thing that kinda bugs me about the ad is that the owner states it comes with the "original" california blue & yellow plates. problem - they aren't the originals that were issued when the car was newly purchased, but were issued sometime in the early 80's, indicated by the "1" prefix in the sequence.

so without looking at the "paper trail", the car could have been located somewhere else for the first ~10 years of it's life.

-ryan

Not sure how you can buy a rust bucket/blown tii for, say, 4K and spent another 4K to make it really a nice car that will worth over >=15K. There is no way. Just the body work alone will cost 15K-20K if you want no rust and nice paint job. KF parts are scarce and rebuilding it and injectors will cost 3-4K alone. A tii with nice body like that and good working KF system is worth at least 15K in my opinion. That car needs just a little TLC (if you do it yourself).

I think the price was exactly what the market demanded at that point in time to buy that specific car. That's the interesting thing about ebay. It creates a specific market for a particular item at a specific point in time. Catagory experts like the members of this board, tend to think that they constitute a market. Simply not true. The actual market is much larger. The several "upper bracket" 2002's (read high price, but still not even close to the sunk cost), I have sold over the years, went to folks who do not even know this board exists. In this case, might have been the color that caused the buyer to reach into his wallet. Hard to tell. Would I have paid that, probably not, but in the end, that does not matter because I was not a buyer. I recently bought a really nice E34 M5. I got a pretty good deal, but the fact that the car was silver, meant Iwould have paid a premium for it if I had to. That's just the way emotional stimuli connects to my wallet. To someone else, it might have been a boring color. To me, its great cause it looks good next to my Polaris M2 in the garage. How rational is that? I am glad that 02 prices seem to be strong, but it seems to be difficult to pick which ones go for premium prices and which ones undersell. Fun to watch though.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.