• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Dash--Carbon Fiber ?

mo's72tii

Has there been an attempt to reproduce the 02 dash in carbon fiber?

I was thinking about looking at having a mold made from my 72 two piece dash and recreating it in carbon fiber.

Comments?

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

i think to comment appropriately, one would have to first know your motivation for such an item.

i'm gonna assume it's the appearance of the carbon fiber that is the appeal.

i'd guess by the time you paid for the handwork and prototyping you could have purchased a new one or had your old one recovered, but you probably knew that.

i think the shine and potential glare would get tiresome for me after awhile. carbonfiber bits used with restraint can be appealing for some.

have you considered merely applying flocking fibers to your dash if you just want to be different? a hairy dash could have some charm....

if weight savings was your motivation then removing the dash completely is more effective.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

pads in fiberglas with the correct vinyl texture molded into the gel coat so they could either be painted in matte black, or covered in vinyl by someplace like Just Dashes......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I think it would be a nice to have if I had the money, but so would a hood and trunk. The money is always the issue for me.

If you were to do it, I'd suggest modeling it after Cahsel's fiberglass groupe 2 dash as your initial design/mold. Might as well model it after an existing racing dash rather than the stock dash.

8b57acd983.png

Here's a center console for bonus credit.

d78631f389.png

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Fiberglass covered in Velcro would be pretty useful, or perhaps magnetic sheeting. The magnetic field might throw off your clock a bit, but at the speeds you'll be traveling, some time distortion is to be expected.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

the difficult part of making a 2002 dash in fiberglass/carbon fiber would be the tray on the right side. You'd either need a multi part mold which would put a parting line right where you didn't want it. or you'd have to make that "tray" zero deep and be a more a shelf.

I'd thought about coating my cracked rotted dash in glass then using acetone to remove the foam and old dead dash from underneath. I think a fiberglass dash sprayed in wrinkle coat like a valve cover would look vintage enough and you'd never worry about it cracking.

the difficult part of making a 2002 dash in fiberglass/carbon fiber would be the tray on the right side. You'd either need a multi part mold which would put a parting line right where you didn't want it.

I don't know for sure... I think you could do a fairly good silicone flex mold of a dash and keep the entire thing as a one-piece. Would have to be a hella heavy mother mold though.

Whats the actual interest in fiberglass dashboards though? If more than 5 or so people wanted them, I'm sure some arrangement could be made.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog