• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 As A Daily Driver

Dutchie3719

2002 As Daily Driver  

87 members have voted

1. 1. 2002 As Daily Driver

• Yes
    • No
    • After Tons Of Modifications Yes
    • Yes but no Highway

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do now it is the most fun I have had in a old car. One big upgrade which is worth every penny to me is my 5 speed convert makes going distances a lot nicer.

and having a radio is nice too.

Jb

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

I did for many years, but living in the Northeast, it is now an act of violence to expose a rust-free 2002 to moisture, let alone snow and salt. I think that, if you're attuned to the car, you can actually hear it scream. I saw what happened to ex-Roundel editor Yale Rachlin's 74tii when it was sold to someone who didn't give a crap -- it was like someone set a rust bomb off beneath the car. 18 months later the thing was unrecognizeable.

That having been said, after many 2002-less years, I now, incredibly, own two. One is a '73 and something of a rat rod -- solid but certainly not rust-free, and with totally oxidized and flaking Agave paint. I like it. And I'm not sure that I hear this one scream if I get it wet.

In having been away from '02s for nearly 20 years, and then coming back, it is like coming home. They're so damned simple, it just makes your automotive brain sigh with contentment.

The single biggest thing, for me, in taking a 2002 and making it usable, is putting in real seats. This 50 year old guy with a bad back can no longer take those unbearable, flat, support-less seats. The rat rod has 320i Recaros in it, and I slide into the seats and go... ahhhhhhhhhh.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

No. My 2002 is strictly for fun weekend enjoyment.

The 2002 is not suitable as a DD for me for several reasons:

1. I need a 4-door to take 2 kids to school each morning.

2. The AC is unsuitable - even when working well - for summer months

3. Rarely does the heater blower work.

I bought an 08 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 for my DD. When gas prices got too high, I leased an 08 Civic LX (with 5-speed) for $86/month to use instead.

I also picked up a very nice 80 528i a couple of weeks ago with ice cold AC which I picked up because I just couldn't pass it up.

Bottom line: the 02 is not my first choice for the drive to work.

Brian Foster

Irvine CA

Current inventory:

80 BMW 528i

74 BMW 2002

85 Porsche 928

09 Smart Pure

08 Honda Civic LX (great for a DD)

08 Chevrolet Silverado (because everyone has to have a truck)

05 Honda Civic Hybrid (wife's commuter)

05 Mercury Monterey (the family commuter/hauler which rarely gets used)

In essence, we have:

2 daily drivers (the 2 Hondas)

2 cars sitting around collecting dust (the Monterey and the Silverado),

2 cars too fun to part with (Smart and 928), and

2 cars being considered for sale (the 74 2002 and the 80 528i).

My '69 is my DD, I try to wash it frequently, and give it constant attention - however it doesn't really need that, but in any 40 yr old car things can go wrong. but when they do go wrong, it's so simple and parts are affordable and only a day away. This car, by far, is the easiest 'classic' to live with on a day to day basis. chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

I've been driving my 74 tii to work for the last couple of weeks, I drove my daughters 89 325i to work on Monday and I totaled it (discovered that eucalyptus tree oil mixing with water is like black ice). Years ago, I used to drive my former 74 02 to work, 50 miles one way in stop and go LA freeway traffic. I don't recommend that. Here in rural Santa Barbara county, I look forward to driving my tii to work, it puts me in a better disposition (big grin on my face) upon arrival at work.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I drive the hell out of mine. In fact, its my only car, really. The only thing that bugs me about it is the noise level, but I have been working on the interior so I don't have the door panels on and what not. Each time I fatmat a new area it gets much better!

Though I do love my 2002, and recently used it as my daily for the last two days (wife's car was at the body shop), I have to say no.

First - while I love driving it, I hate driving it in Houston traffic. Too many dumb people out there to hurt it.

Second - it's 35 years old. While I've rebuilt a ton of stuff on this car, I haven't rebuilt everything, and I always wonder what I've missed. Not that old cars can't do amazing things - I drove a 1970 Dodge Coronet from Montana to Kansas and back, from Montana to New Mexico and back and from Montana to Louisiana and back - and all I did to that car was change the oil and the plugs....

Third - While safety is great for the period, and way ahead of it's time - it isn't nearly as safe as any of our modern cars. Traction control, ABS, airbags, power steering, etc...

Those of you that DD yours - I think it's great! But I'm to chicken too....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

My wife and I used '02's as daily drivers for 15 years. She had a '74 Sahara 2002A and I had various, my last DD being the '73 Chamonix tii. They were all given better-than-average maintenance and never let us down. My commute is over 100 miles a day, by the way.

She moved (up or down?) to an E21 and then an E30. I started getting boring company cars.

Fellow local '02er and FAQer Victor used his beautiful '75 2002A as a DD until his recent E30 acquisition.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290