• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing BMW 1600 1966 in the BMW Museum

fdovargas

I don't know that car's history, but the photos bring up a question I've been meaning to ask.

I have a 1966 magazine review article (think it was in Popular Mechanics) that shows a photo of the front end close enough to see the embossing on the beltline trim on the hood. It looks sorta' like the the embossing on the trip piece above the rear license plate.

Does anyone know more about this embossed front beltline trim - when it was used, when it stopped, ever seen it in person, etc. ?

I don't know that car's history, but the photos bring up a question I've been meaning to ask.

I have a 1966 magazine review article (think it was in Popular Mechanics) that shows a photo of the front end close enough to see the embossing on the beltline trim on the hood. It looks sorta' like the the embossing on the trip piece above the rear license plate.

Does anyone know more about this embossed front beltline trim - when it was used, when it stopped, ever seen it in person, etc. ?

Please don't ask how I know... It's in the details. That car has obviously been restored.

About that front hood trim. I don't have the VIN info or the part # but I have not seen any '02 past '67 production that had one. My VIN# 156xxx (WHY is the http://www.bmw2002registry.com/ always down when I need it!!) which is officially a very early '68 does not have the dimpled hood trim but all my others do, and they're all '66 and '67 cars.... 1508028, 152xxxx, and 1530962.

Now about the age of this car here in the Mobile Tradition collection... One particular detail tells me that it is after 1509749 is that if it is indeed a '66 then the "BMW16oo" badge was only on cars before that VIN. Whereas this one has the small Roundel and 1600 badge.

Also it is not after VIN 153xxxx because it has got the Neue Klasse skinny 10 slat kidney grille. But that would be a '67 car anyways.

There are many more incorrect details about this car, but I'll not go there this time..... :)

The very earliest '66's had painted slots on both the trim between the taillights and the front hood trim. My 1508028 car has the tail and dash badges "BMW16oo" and the painted trim pieces... HA! Mine is earlier than theirs! :b...

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

as I know it should have been standard at least through the early part of the '68 model year (late calendar year 1967 production) - Mike Self probably has more exact data. I've seen it on a couple of cars - if you can find a front end shot of a 2000 CS coupe, it'll have beltline trim with pretty much the same embossing pattern.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

So far as I know all the '67s were fitted with it, and at least some of the early US '68s--including 2002s. I have several road tests from US magazines that were published around April 1968 (R&T, C&D, Popular Science), and from the license plate, they all tested the same car--a Polaris sunroof--must have been a very early production US car, because due to lead times, the test must have been done in Jan or Feb to make an April issue. And that car clearly has the embossed hood trim. And IIRC, a friend bought one of the first 2002s sold in New York back in '68 (also Polaris) and I seem to recall it had the embossed piece on it, but I just don't remember the VIN--that was 40 years ago!)

What I don't know (and the parts book doesn't show it) was when they quit fitting it. I suspect the factory simply used up the remaining embossed pieces, then one day when Hans reached into the parts bin on the assembly line it was full of unembossed pieces, which he proceeded to fit.

Barry's very late first series '69 (Jan 69 assembly date) doesn't have it, nor does my very early second series '69...I don't remember the late Dan Erwin's "Crusty" (1660495) having one--but it could have been replaced, or it might even have been missing--anyone have a pix of the car from the 2002 Ofest?). Ben Younce, does your mid-year 68 (1661250) have one? How about others with '68s? Any embossed hood trim?

I'm not even sure MT would know the answer, but it's worth an e-mail...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nice pics of the car! That looks just like my 'Florida' 67, but with nice new paint and chrome. And a tobacco interior which is incorrect for a 66-67, it should be dark brown. Too bad BMW did not use the correct red-center tail lights and the 66 badge as Tom noted. It's also missing the "beauty rings" around the hubcaps although they may have been optional. Must be a fully restored car with some later parts used. Tom, would you say the car is really a 67 based on the badge? Or like a 12/66 build where they ran out of BMW 16oo badges maybe?

post-1668-13667596494933_thumb.jpg

post-1668-13667596496902_thumb.jpg

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600