• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The Stance Thread"

oz_tom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back on the road after a prolonged front suspension and driveline rehab.

Bilstein Sports all around

Bav Auto lowering springs

Front strut spacers removed

New 3 dot rear spacers (stock were 2 dot)

New bushings, ball joints and tie rods in the front end

New rubber top and bottom on the front springs

E30 14x6.5 BBS wheels 3mm spacers on the front

195/60 R14 General Altimax HP tires

ST anti-roll bars

post-47476-0-68514100-1411964865_thumb.j

post-47476-0-78916500-1411964900_thumb.j

post-47476-0-02780900-1411964938_thumb.j

post-47476-0-36293300-1411964976_thumb.j

Rear measures 1/4" lower than the front at the rockers.

A bit more rear camber than I'd like, too.

I have some ideas to try to address both issues and I haven't touched the trailing arm bushings, subframe mounts, or rear diff mounts. All are pretty tired.

I'm also hoping the front springs will settle a bit more than the rear.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I'm also hoping the front springs will settle a bit more than the rear.

Did you have the weight on the wheels when you tightened the front suspension components?

edit-

My rear has more camber than I would like as well.  I have single dot pads and am hoping the new mounts will bring it up a little.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Did you have the weight on the wheels when you tightened the front suspension components?

I didn't initially but after reading about that on the FAQ, I loosened the inner control arms and strut rods with the car on the ground and retorqued everything.

Brent

Billy sports and IE stage two, all new rubber and I think the rear spring spacers are the thick ones, which kinda shows on a profile shot. Hopefully I can source some of the shorter ones and bring the rear down.

DSC_0215.jpg

Edited by felix_666

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

t

I am afraid, as long as them Internets are visually driven the stance thing will stay.

Its just not as pretty to say "perfectly corner balanced"

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

But that's just it- "stance" often- usually?- means "I just ruined the handling of a nice car.  Ain't I kewl?"

10 years ago we beat "optimum ride height for handling" to death.

'Stance' lives on.  

Like a zombie....

all the brainz leaked out long ago.... 

Back under my rug,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

My first thought to your post was " if you don't like it, no one forced you to click on this thread" but I'm guessing it has become an icepick in the eyeballs for you every time it pops to the top of the board over the last 6 years so I'll back off from that "Stance". Ha! 

Most 2002's will probably never see a track day and are rarely driven in anger. If it gets the owner excited about their car because it lays frame or they managed to tuck huge wheel under the fenders of their car by adding massive negative camber and tiny tires, what harm is there in it? I don't see much difference between this and the concourse guys installing NOS bias ply tires and obsessing over what finish should be on their air filter clips. They're both doing what makes them happy, even if there's no functional justification for it.

I guess I'm an automotive Libertarian.

Regarding this particular thread, despite the name, it can be very informative and probably deflects a ton of "will it fit?" or "how do these wheels look?" questions. I personally found it quite helpful when I was shopping for wheels, tires & springs. Bad name, useful thread... 

For the record, I intend to correct the negative camber on the back of my '02 pictured above. That might mean lifting it back up a bit and I'm fine with that. 

Brent