• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery ground wire

Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I pulled my heater box,  and there was a ground on the driver's side that fell out it looks fairly new its got a ring on one side and a spiral l small spade on the other.   Is about two feet long,  any ideas, if rather figure it out now while everything is out than after I put everything back together

For reference,  only thing in the car that's extra is the radio and po word the power for that by splicing into most of the hazard switch17106177266767905929457601912694.thumb.jpg.1f80afe65da1009ed381e54ca057aa55.jpg

HELLO I'M 

Trying my Best

Not stock, all BMW grounds are brown, probably for a radio or maybe the gauge pod aux ground.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• Solution

Sure looks like 2002iii's conjecture--ground for the temp and fuel gauges in the instrument pod.  It would have a ring terminal on one end to go under the attachment nut on the gauge's backside, and a push on terminal if ganged with the ground for the heater.  The heater's ground (on the terminal block) is  female terminal, while the hot leads are male, so the wire's terminals make sense...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

The heater's ground (on the terminal block) is  female terminal, while the hot leads are male, so the wire's terminals make sense...

Or called idiot proofed connection layout.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 1 month later...