• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off our 2002 topic a bit, but very interested in knowing what my fellow FAQers think about this.  I have just acquired an e12 528i, and am starting in on the defunct a/c.  The blowers on these cars were notoriously weak, and I’m searching for an upgrade.  Info on these cars is a lot harder to find than on our 02s, and I’m casting my net for knowledgeable folk I could interact with.  If any of you is knowledgeable about e12s or can send me in the direction of an e12 guru, I’d appreciate it.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On the early cars there was a huge outcry about the poor A/C systems right from the get go, and it wasn't just the fan.

The BMWCCA Roundel magazine probably had a article on, or perhaps Mike remembers it.

BMWs solution was to add a vent cover for the center that directed the air straight back rather than up and back. I installed one on my father's 350i, and it looked cheesy, but worked, sort of.

Knowing what I now know about A/C systems, I think it was undersized as a system to interior cabin volume vs. temperature.

I hope your interior isn't black!

• Like 1

The story goes that when the first E12s came into the US, there was a huge customer outcry about the wimpy A/C.  The factory said "nein, this cannot be.  Ve vill send our engineers over to prove you vrong."

So, those engineers were flown to Houston. one of AG's several make-ready depots, where newly arrived Bimmers were un-cosmolined and otherwise prepped for delivery to dealers in the Southwest and Midwest.  The engineers were picked up at the airport in a shiny new E12, A/C going full blast.  In July.  Within a few miles it was overly warm in the car, so the engineers decided the A/C needed a little boost to the airflow by opening a window or two.  But the wily Americans had removed the fuses for the electric windows.  By the time the carload had arrived at the depot, those German engineers had decided that yes, perhaps there was a problem--after they were revived from heat stroke. 

Or at least that's what I heard back in the day...

There was a fix, and if anyone on the FAQ has the old BMWCCA tech tips book with the 1978/79 supplement handy, I think it's in there.   

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Had once 520i -74 (kf), sunroof, no a/c so can’t help with that.

Iirc blower motor shrouds etc needs to be air tight (and everyting downstream for that matter). There might be different o.d. blower motors (two ithink) so be sure to get right one. If it feels like a cows breath it might be time to get new? 

See what w&n offers for E12.

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

6 hours ago, tzei said:

Had once 520i -74 (kf), sunroof, no a/c so can’t help with that.

Iirc blower motor shrouds etc needs to be air tight (and everyting downstream for that matter). There might be different o.d. blower motors (two ithink) so be sure to get right one. If it feels like a cows breath it might be time to get new? 

See what w&n offers for E12.

Just the kind of ideas I’m looking for — for instance, there’s a special “Sudafrika” radiator we used to seek out for the 02s back in the days; maybe there’s an enhanced blower motor?  The factory manual is not very helpful in this regard, and while there is literature about there being different evaporators between 530s and 528s, I can find no detail. There’s bound to be somebody in the e12 world who knows all, sees all.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

8 hours ago, 2002iii said:

You might be able to make the e28 blower motor fit. Or you could try using the whole e28 ac system, they're pretty good.

Going down this research road at present.  The evap boxes have slightly different dimensions and the blower are definitely different sizes, with the e28’s extending into the passenger footwell more, completely different consol design.  If I can find someone who’s made it work — or confirms it doesn’t — I can avoid a lot of brain (and possibly interior) damage.

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The story goes that when the first E12s came into the US, there was a huge customer outcry about the wimpy A/C.  The factory said "nein, this cannot be.  Ve vill send our engineers over to prove you vrong."

So, those engineers were flown to Houston. one of AG's several make-ready depots, where newly arrived Bimmers were un-cosmolined and otherwise prepped for delivery to dealers in the Southwest and Midwest.  The engineers were picked up at the airport in a shiny new E12, A/C going full blast.  In July.  Within a few miles it was overly warm in the car, so the engineers decided the A/C needed a little boost to the airflow by opening a window or two.  But the wily Americans had removed the fuses for the electric windows.  By the time the carload had arrived at the depot, those German engineers had decided that yes, perhaps there was a problem--after they were revived from heat stroke. 

Or at least that's what I heard back in the day...

There was a fix, and if anyone on the FAQ has the old BMWCCA tech tips book with the 1978/79 supplement handy, I think it's in there.   

mike

Some say it was Dallas, but Houston makes more sense.  I will hit up BMWCCA for access to archives.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

10 hours ago, Einspritz said:

On the early cars there was a huge outcry about the poor A/C systems right from the get go, and it wasn't just the fan.

The BMWCCA Roundel magazine probably had a article on, or perhaps Mike remembers it.

BMWs solution was to add a vent cover for the center that directed the air straight back rather than up and back. I installed one on my father's 350i, and it looked cheesy, but worked, sort of.

Knowing what I now know about A/C systems, I think it was undersized as a system to interior cabin volume vs. temperature.

I hope your interior isn't black!

I believe you’re describing this sucker right here:IMG_1575.thumb.jpeg.3137eed280c2941211896e1dc2226c8c.jpeg

My last 528i had the same vent “hood”; some say it was a real improvement. If so, the base setup must have been sad indeed.  I think the internals of the blower box may have been compromised such that it’s leaking air back into the dash cavity, as there’s a mouse’s breath of air exiting it.  Slightly more at the wing vents.  It might be possible to find a motor that spins faster — there’s one on Amazon that purports to fit, but without specs on the factory blower motor (manual offers none) I can’t be sure it’s an improvement… thus the need for hoary wags who have been there, done that.

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

Letting the hot air out the rear helps a lot with any car AC.  Had an E30 with a sunroof that opened at the rear, best cooling.  Have a 2016 340, the AC sucks. 

Americans know how to design AC systems.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

34 minutes ago, jimk said:

Americans know how to design AC systems.

That was the one thing I liked about my wife's Buick Century (our one and only foray into GM automobiledom)--the A/C was great--much better even than her subsequent Acura Legend.   But that cold A/C didn't make up for all the other problems that Buick had...

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, 0257 said:

Off our 2002 topic a bit, but very interested in knowing what my fellow FAQers think about this.  I have just acquired an e12 528i, and am starting in on the defunct a/c.  The blowers on these cars were notoriously weak, and I’m searching for an upgrade.  Info on these cars is a lot harder to find than on our 02s, and I’m casting my net for knowledgeable folk I could interact with.  If any of you is knowledgeable about e12s or can send me in the direction of an e12 guru, I’d appreciate it.

Move somewhere cooler.

😁

• Haha 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 minutes ago, 02Les said:

It's been a loooong while since I owned an E12, so, I was surprised to find the FirstFives Forum defunct.

Anyway, maybe this is some help....

https://www.firstfives.org/faq/AC/ac_repair.html

There were over 750,000 made, but you sure don’t see many any more.  I have read that thread, and word-searched the FirstFives archive for a/c stuff. Not much there.  There are also a couple on mye28.com that touch on e12 air.  All contributions gratefully accepted!

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S