• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any concerns about using a tow dolly?

JQ02
Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

I bought a tow dolly to pull my 2002 about 15 miles to get it painted.

It just dawned on me that I'm planning on removing the hood, fenders, and engine for sandblasting (and to rebuild the engine while getting it painted)

My question - if I remove the front fenders and the hood, am I compromising structural integrity and taking a risk using a tow dolly to pull it? 

I bought a used tow dolly figuring I could sell it when I'm done. I initially thought I'd also be towing to a sandblast place, so seemed more economical at the time; I have a guy coming to my house to sandblast it in my driveway (may well be a dumb idea. I'll post pics and outcome)

8D597122-2349-4C7C-90A8-D1E8FC0692BB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.edd21dcf439b447cc93e6baafe668fe4.jpeg 

8D597122-2349-4C7C-90A8-D1E8FC0692BB.heic

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

11 minutes ago, JQ02 said:

(may well be a dumb idea. I'll post pics and outcome)

Please do, wonder if he puts down sheeting or some such to recover some of that media?

I dont see much of a prob structurally towing it 15 miles in that condition, I would have more of an issue with doing so with drive line in place. Would probably remove the driveshaft. Since your engines/trans/driveshaft are out no worries.

I just rent a pickup and trailer from U haul when I need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I just rent a pickup and trailer from U haul when I need to.

Thanks @tech71 Yeah. I usually rent a uhaul trailer, too, but I was thinking 4 trips + I'm thinking it's easier to get onto a dolly than a full trailer without power.

Surprisingly, he's not planning on tarps, but I think I will.

I'll definitely take the driveshaft out as well.

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

• Solution

I've towed my 02 complete for thousands of miles with no problems, if you have a auto trans then there are limits to how far you can tow it, but with a stick your good to go up to 60 mph or so as far as you car to go. As for the fenders, hood removed your good to go they add minimum support to the body.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

I've towed my 02 complete for thousands of miles with no problems

+1  I had to two Ludwig over 500 miles behind  U-Haul truck after the head gasket blew spectacularly in Wisconsin, on the way home from Ofest.  Didin't disconnect anything, and since this was an 18 foot U Haul (only thing they had) and I was towing in the daytime, I didn't have to even hook up brake lights or turn signals.

No after affects and all was well with a new head gasket and a little welding on the head.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I wouldn't be as concerned about the sand as the leaded paint being blown everywhere.  That's a nasty mess that ought to be contained.

Here's some info on the topic.

Legal stuff about blasting in PA--

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2017-08/documents/36_6pgs.pdf

Lead in auto paint--

https://www.dcceew.gov.au/environment/protection/chemicals-management/lead/lead-in-auto-paints

From that link--

Lead pigments

Lead colouring agents have been used for many years in auto enamels and lacquers. The highest levels of lead are found in the orange, red and yellow tones, where concentrations of more than 20% are common.

The pigments used in these highly coloured paints are based on lead sulphochromate and molybdate lead chromate. They are opaque and can be ground into fine particles, making them ideal for the high-gloss paints used on cars. They are also durable and resistant to ultra-violet light.

For older cars, the refinish industry can only provide accurate colour matches to vehicles that currently have paint containing lead on them by using the same lead-based pigments. If you are using these products you should be careful when sanding-down old paints and when spraying with new ones. Some older cars may also contain lead auto-body filler.

Lower concentrations of lead are present in the grüns, browns and beiges.

Vintage car enthusiasts and amateur car restorers who strip and paint cars in their own garages or backyards could be unwittingly creating health risks for themselves, their families, neighbors and pets.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
added PA info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Hans and @'76mintgrün'02 for the points about outdoor sandblasting and the risk of lead. I'll track down the data sheet for Glasurit Arktisblau to see if it has lead.

In my conversation with the sandblast guy, he usually uses water (so in theory somewhat dustless), but said it might be too cold. I may have to reevaluate. It's a difference of ~ $850 vs. ~ $3000. Most places near me don't seem to do cars.

If the paint has lead in it, then it's a non-starter as we are also on well water and I have no interest in contaminating my well or anyone else's.

Thanks again for the feedback and food for thought!

Edited by JQ02
misspelled paint color
  • Like 3

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

Soooo...

if you manage your materials, lead's not going to kill you.

It's hard on young kids, so don't get your three year old

out there without a respirator, but all of the hype this week

about lead is...  way overblown.  

Small children eating lead paint off sills in tenements IS a concern.

Auto paint dust, managed, isn't so much so.

Kept in a liquid slurry and contained- just fine.

Likewise, go easy with the tow dolly and you'll be fine.  I personally

don't like to tow a manual transmission in neutral, since that spins

the output shaft without lubing it, but 15 miles at 45 mph just isn't going to hurt it.

If I was going across country, I'd overfill it to level with the center of the output shaft.

t

leaded.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

59 minutes ago, TobyB said:

don't like to tow a manual transmission in neutral, since that spins

the output shaft without lubing it, but 15 miles at 45 mph just isn't going to hurt it.

Thanks for all your comments @TobyB 

The trans and diff will be out, so no issues there. Only the diff will care, I guess - and that will be replaced by an LSD soon enough.

Given that we're on wells, I'm not interested in any of that slurry making its way to my water supply - if there's lead in the Glasurit Arktisblau (circa 1995)

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

If the car was repainted in 1995 then there should be no lead at least on the top coat but if they didn't strip the car to bare metal there will be lead on the paint below the top coat. But lead of no lead you don't want to ingest any of the dust or leave it where it can get into the water table.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

@JQ02 are you going to have a guy "sand blast" your 2002 or "soda blast" it?     I hope it is soda blasting.  Sand blasting using silica, or similar like ground glass will warp (or oil can) the broad panels on your car (like the roof, hood, trunk lid, door and rear quarters).   Soda blasting will not and is a quick solution.   

• Like 1

Thanks @James Laray we did discuss the media he would use and the risk of warpage. He will not be using crushed glass. I'm going to follow up this week and confirm what media he'll use. And, if there's lead in the paint, I'm back to finding a reasonable blaster that does cars.

I've found a number of advocates for soda blasting, but also detractors like this.

Most of the blasting companies around me don't do cars because they're concerned about warping with the equipment / media they use. I've only talked to companies that have galleries of cars they've done and I still ask about warpage.

I also talked to my painter about sanding the big flat areas (like hood and trunk)

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

If the car was repainted in 1995 then there should be no lead at least on the top coat but if they didn't strip the car to bare metal there will be lead on the paint below the top coat. But lead of no lead you don't want to ingest any of the dust or leave it where it can get into the water table.

Thanks @Son of Marty most of the original Fjord appears to be lurking underneath. And, it sounds like there may still be lead in automative paint... still researching.

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog