• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need your help

27 minutes ago, Santawillis said:

Maybe the brutal cold wave has something to do with the numbers? It would be interesting to see the map of number of members by state or region. I know I haven't been as active this month from the cold alone! 

Is there a GoFundMe for a heated garage?

😁

• Sad 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm in the camp of a FAQ user who's checking multiple pages, multiple times a day. The tab literally never closes. I post where I can but I'm often taking notes from the pros rather than handing out guidance or solving idle issues. I use facebook for parts for sale and instagram for whatever is being posted at the time. I occasionally get the in feed post on fb about someone's blog. I think it'd be great if we could see that PLUS other posts that are a current 'hot topic' in the discussion forum that way I could get in on the convo. Or drive me to a technical article I may have missed. Loads of opps for social extension on Meta. Happy to chat more about that since it's my day job.

I've had three 02's over the last 10 years, but not consecutively. I've had a few in between but always seem to come back to the 02. Now I'm REALLY in it with my latest project so I spend quite a bit of time here. I'm curious if that's taken into account? If activity is measured against total members I'd imagine those metrics would be off. Of the total users how many actually own cars and are actively working on them? Or did they sign up at one point while they owned an 02, sold it in due time and thereby leaving their membership behind—verified but inactive. Sure they could still be an active user despite not having a car in their driveway (I'm sure several of us are) but I'd wager a bet they're less engaged than a member who does.

love this forum and community. without it I'd seriously have to reconsider some life choices.

joe

• Like 1

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

15 hours ago, ray_ said:

Is there a GoFundMe for a heated garage?

😁

ain't no heated garage that is going to hold up to the weather we have been having lately in Chicago... it's been brutal.

CHICAGO.SUNTIMES.COM

High temperatures have not gone above 5 degrees for three consecutive days. That hasn’t happened since February 1996, the National Weather Service says. CPS classes will resume Wednesday.

30 minutes ago, Santawillis said:

ain't no heated garage that is going to hold up to the weather we have been having lately in Chicago... it's been brutal.

Thought the saying was-"if you don't like the weather in Chicagoland, wait 5 minutes" 

• Like 1

But what do I know

I have not been on this site for quite sometime. I felt it was getting old telling everyone that my car is still getting restored and this has been a 7 year long story of sorts. I stopped visiting here regularly just because I couldn't drive it or do much with modifications etc etc. 

But I am back. Sorry Toby, vacation is over......

Going to put on the cliche hat here for a second. 

It isn't the size of the crowd, but the quality of the people around you. Not many better souls here than other places. The Audi sites are abysmal. 

Cheers! 

• Like 3

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Even with Veronika, Vern & Athena very well maintained.  

The FAQ & E9Coupe only BMW forums I visit daily with the main goal to help anyone & everyone with solid good advice either from my experiences or professionals.

My wife & I own 8 BMWs & I have accounts on a few other forums I never sign in to, BMW CCA, E36 M3 &  Bimmerforums. 

Rarely if ever on the archaic MyE28 anymore, my 1988 M5's restoration, problems have all been resolved & now nearly 100% reliable.

After 14 years, I logged off FaceBook & Instagram putting an end to the eternal-time-sucking-plague-of-social-media. I am greatly enjoying being anti-social. Now I go outside & talk with real people.

Living in the Perpetual Winterlands of Maine, a heated garage attached to the house is a necessity! We have the common Maine Vernacular, heated Big House, Little House, Barn (garage) & unheated Chicken House, Woodshed & Carriage House.                    

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I had to cut my last post short as the boss was insisting that she needed her sous chef for her friends baby shower. 

To counter some earlier comments. (again I may be an outlier) and please do not take this the wrong way. 

Never was in the market or had an interest in 2002's or vintage vehicles. 

Never turned a wrench in my life. Never did the father-son thing of working on cars with my dad. (plus PTSD as a young kid  there was a nice kid in my home town was crushed while working under his car)

My 2002 was a "gift" from my brother in law to keep his first car in the family and I am the proud father of the only two male heirs. 

Having no idea what to do.....This site has been transformational for me. 

I am now a 2002 "nut" 

This site has:

Provided a world of information for research.

Given me patient and excellent answers to my EXTREMELY limited knowledge base. Alway respectful and  straight answers to my goofball questions. 

Has given me the tools to seek and find: The best,  suspension,  sway bars, 5-speed transmission, flywheel, brakes (front and back), differential, drive line, carpet, 123 ignition,  kooglewerks bits, wheels, AC, LED lights, flasher upgrade, euro lights, bumpers. .....plus a ton of other things I cannot remember. 

This is has provided me the long rich history of this ground breaking first "sport sedan". 

Still not turning a wrench because of above, but believe it or not, I have learned enough from the 02 Gods here to be able to help others and answer their questions....and have meaningful discussions with the mechanics working on my Malaga. 

I have made friends, this community is so much more respectful and nice other sites. which are just trolling meccas and a lot of "my car is better than yours and you are stupid because".....

This site and the people here are golden. This is a treasure. It has truly changed me and has me looking forward to my upcoming retirement where I can spend even more time gaining knowledge and possibly helping others. (and maybe even driving my freaking car if I can ever get my hands on it.) supposedly next month. 

I am hoping that this is the typical ebb and flows of life. Let's all hope this is a trend that will upswing in the near future. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 5

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I do not own a 2002 but visit 2002faq quite often, more than i used to. I do not post much but I learned a lot on here. I think this forum is great, however I would prefer for it to be simpler, more like Roadfly and Yahoo Groups used to be.  In my opinion, too much content and subforums is not always good and its harder to use.

I also frequent bimmerforums (E21 subforum) , 318ti.org and thesamba. I also check ebay and sometimes sell extras/spares I do not need on the forums and ebay. I do not use FB or other social media. 

What I have recently noticed is a significant drop in traffic on all the sites I visit. Bimmerforums are slower than ever. Even ebay seems to be slow, I have a few things listed and there are no visitors or watchers. Thesamba is relatively active, but far from what it used to be. All this is very recent. 318ti.org is pretty much dead but it has been like this for a while, so I would not necessarily use it as an indicator.

I am starting to think that the drop in traffic has nothing to do with the cars, rising prices or lack of interest of the younger generation. I believe it has to do with what happened to the internet and how much time people spend online. I find myself spending less and less my free time online.

With Covid people had to work, study, and socialize online. For many work became remote. It is still this way for many and spending working week on MS Teams or Zoom may affect how people want to spend their free time. I myself try to do something else than staring at the computer screen on the weekends...

In my opinion, simplifying the forum and make it simpler and more user friendly may help. Making access only by paid membership may help and while it will reduce traffic, it would make it more like a club of a dedicated folks and that way it may survive in a long run. I did not even know there is a membership option already until I read this thread...

Just my 2 cents...

Max

Edited by Max L
  • Like 1

I have had my 76 since 83 or 84, I used to rely on  the CCA and Roundel when me and the car were on Block Island.  Then I drove it to SF and shipped in to Maui in 88.  Used the Bimmer Parts co. and great catalog to restore in about 1990 or 91.  Help from Metric Mechanic, Miller and Norburn,  Illuminessence  Group, and others.   Flow-fit, Header-craft!  Ansa ! -German made fenders were $70.  Zender air dam!  I loved on it,  then got busy and stashed it in very nice dry garage.  Got it out a few times a year zoom around.  Now I'm back in full speed, went all through it, 123 dizzy, white gauge faces, cleaned up all the wiring.   -

I rely almost completely on the knowledge base of this forums posts, people and experience to get things done.  It's helped me solve all kinds of issues, wiring gremlins, diagrams, Ian at Polish power sports awesome new water divider, Rob's wiring and on and on.

(I've had an brand new passenger door in my attic for 15 years!  Who is going to paint it to match??)

Tell me/us how we can help to ensure the future success and longevity of the FAQ!

Mahalo! 

Bob

379469219_10226425492318267_5141334634396100111_n (1).jpg

message.eml

Edited by MauiBob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

After 14 years, I logged off FaceBook & Instagram putting an end to the eternal-time-sucking-plague-of-social-media. I am greatly enjoying being anti-social. Now I go outside & talk with real people.

Social media never has there been a better oxymoron!

Simply the best 02 site with the best people. Where else could you get the saying “the best tool in your 02 toolbox” or even better “throw it in your neighbours pool” 😜

I used to ring the venerable Mike Mcartney in the old days probably the 80’s or better still drive to Jaymic to quiz them, now that’s a slow response. Mike was extremely helpful as is his daughter and her partner.
Maybe opening the door to more M10 engined BMW’s could work?

Every time I see someone on the Aus FB 02 page or any other ask a question I post a link to the faq.

I hope we all keep going for many years because this site is excellent.

so thank you Steve!

• Like 1

I used to come here several times a day and now visit sporadically and when I do visit, I rarely sign in to my account. I love the site, people and content, but my interest has just waned over time. I still have my 2002, but I don't do any big diy stuff on it, just the little stuff. Sorry, it's not a very insightful answer. I just hope whenever I'm in the mood to visit or need to be schooled on something, this site and people will still be here.  

72 Tii