• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats wrong with this output shaft?

In the process of rear suspension refresh so removed output shafts from trailing arms/hubs & diff.  These pics are from the hub side.  It appears the "cup" or "cap" is damaged, causing grease to leach out.  I tried to circle the part via RealOEM.  The shaft itself articulates very smoothly at both the diff & hub sides, so aside from the mess there doesn't seem to be an issue.  Can this "cap" be replaced, or is it more trouble than its worth?  

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

Capture.JPG

The cap itself is easy to remove and replace, it's similar to a paint can lid, just pops off.

Finding a new one on the other hand...You can try Rogerstii, it's the only place I've seen that shows it in their rebuild kit:

WWW.ROGERSTII.COM

BMW 2002 320i CV Boot Repair Kit

Not sure how consequential the leak is to the longevity of your CV joint, but if it was my car, I'd replace them.  

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

you can just pry it off- not a big deal.  Big mess, though!

Then take a look at the flange- it looks like rabid driveshaft beavers have

been gnawing on it, but that seems really odd... driveshaft beavers don't usually attack

just one side...

A bunch of metalwork later, and some RTV, and the cap will seal up like new.

(I save them as best I can.  They'd be a great candidate for remanufacturing...)

t

Edited by TobyB
behavioral descriptor added
  • Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

They'd be a great candidate for remanufacturing...

Perhaps we can find a paint can lid manufacturer to undertake the project...

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That's really all it would take, isn't it?  A domed paint lid of just the right size...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Someone using the right plastic may be able to 3d print that lid, all it does is hold the grease in and probably doesn't get very hot. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Hey, that's not a bad idea-  I'll dig around and

see if I can find a halfshaft to use to model it to.  I know I have

a bucket of stubs around here someplace, too... 

t

needs more projects.

I can read GKN on the grease- if the boot is also GKN, that will outlast the rest of the car.

t

Correct, the Roger's Tii Kit does not include it - y'all are correct that they are NLA and unattainable new.  

Fingers crossed someone cooler than me can 3D print one day!  This likely wont be solved for me before reassembling, so fingers crossed we'll see how it holds up 

3 hours ago, Masterbuilder46 said:

Correct, the Roger's Tii Kit does not include it - y'all are correct that they are NLA and unattainable new.  

Fingers crossed someone cooler than me can 3D print one day!  This likely wont be solved for me before reassembling, so fingers crossed we'll see how it holds up 

Try the for sale section, or post a WTB tread.  I would be shocked if there isn't at least one or two floating around.  

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

11 hours ago, Masterbuilder46 said:

I think I  have a few spare half shafts that might have one of the "paint can lids" I  could remove and sell you. Let me take a look through my parts stash and I'll Pm you if I  find one in good condition.