• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which boot key ?

NMDerek

2 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

My  73  trunk opens/ locks with ignition key .

This is the first time I've heard of this, there had to be a clever locksmith involved in the past.  There is a lot of difference in the

two key blanks used by BMW. 

I'm used to:

doors and ignition = same

trunk = different

Mine's marked "R63Y" and it's a "TAYLOR" ( I replaced the original with a copy made at the local hardware store). 

The car's a '68 but the trunk lock was probably replaced during the rebuild with an unknown year lock- I used the best of what I had in my collection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

My  73  trunk opens/ locks with ignition key .

It's not supposed to.

I also made the '69's trunk cylinder respond to the ignition key, however.

It can be done.

t

whose '65 Volvo gas cap opens with the Club(tm) key.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, calw said:

Mine's marked "R63Y" and it's a "TAYLOR" ( I replaced the original with a copy made at the local hardware store). 

I too have a Taylor blank for my 73's trunk key (from the lock shop many years ago) but it's a B77U blank.  AFAIK all 02s (except maybe the very early ones) use the same key blank for the trunk.

Locking gas cap key (early style, polished stainless steel with the round, pot metal swing-aside keyhole cover) is an ILCO H62VG--and IIRC it was difficult to find, and several blanks came through made incorrectly and thus wouldn't fit even before they were cut.

mike

Edited by Mike Self

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite