• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beltline Trim, OEM, MVP, 02 Bumpers??

Dudeland

I am coming to the realization that I won't be polishing out my OEM trim it is just too far gone, so I am wondering which one to go with.  From what I can read the SS kit is a nightmare (not sure if 02bumpers is any good, all I can find is La Joilla? sp?)with the wrong radius in the corners, so that leaves MVP repro from Bluntech or OEM. 

Thoughts? 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Why are you saying (and which pieces) are "too far gone".  Within reason, aluminum pieces can be straightened and/or de-dented, the cloudy anodizing removed and the parts buffed/clear coated, and chrome bits (bumpers) can be straightened and replated.   

If  some/all of your pieces are beyond help, I suspect folks on the board have individual trim pieces for sale...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Why are you saying (and which pieces) are "too far gone".  Within reason, aluminum pieces can be straightened and/or de-dented, the cloudy anodizing removed and the parts buffed/clear coated, and chrome bits (bumpers) can be straightened and replated.   

If  some/all of your pieces are beyond help, I suspect folks on the board have individual trim pieces for sale...

mike

My car trim came on a roll from 3M.  So I purchased some pretty old, beaten (but local) OEM stuff.  I have tried to polish it and remove the dents, but I have to put a price on my time.  I will spend a winter trying to get it right, and from what I have read once you remove the hard anodized coating on the outside, the soft aluminum won't look the same.  This is my experience so far. 

So rather than trying to save a bad situation, I can donate the difficult-to-find bit(s) ( I think it is a bit on the hood) which is still untouched and in relatively good shape, to someone who will appreciate it's authenticity.

I like the idea of stainless but place a higher value on what goes on easily and fits well. 

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I might be willing to buy your beltline trim if you want to go that route. I haven’t  seen a set with my car yet, and I do t need perfect at all. 

"Not perfect at all" would describe what I have. 

PM me,  I would love to give it a good home. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I recently installed the MVP beltline trim, fitment was very good and installation was quick and easy.  They have a video on Youtube that was very helpful.  I also installed one of the MVP rear bumpers.  You can read my review below.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

20 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

I recently installed the MVP beltline trim, fitment was very good and installation was quick and easy.  They have a video on Youtube that was very helpful.  I also installed one of the MVP rear bumpers.  You can read my review below.

Mark92131

+1 on MVP. I have their entire trim set on my car and everything fit fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, esty said:

these days, it's all from the same source...buy the least expensive or from the best dealer

Agree, I think these all come from the same place in Vietnam

• Thanks 1

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz 2

67 912 Light Ivory

On 9/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, npdw said:

Yes. I have it too. Fits perfect!

Did you install the MVP Rocker panel trim pieces successfully?  I tried installing them (2-pieces) using the new MVP clips on my 74tii and gave up in frustration.  I haven't made a second attempt at the install yet.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️