• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 handmade aluminum hood build

2002GT3CAR

Just thought I’d share a project I’ve been working on. About 2 years ago I started the big task of making a hand formed aluminum hood for my 2002. It’s quite a challenge because this was never meant to be made by anything other than a press! 

I’ve been chipping away at it - taking a ton of coachbuilding classes and working on it at the class every 2 months or so (mainly because he has every piece of metal shaping equipment known to man)…I’ve built out my own workshop now to have most of the critical equipment so hopefully the rest gets finished soon but I thought I’d share some pics. It’s going to be about 400 hours total to build (about 200+ so far into it) so obviously no rational person would do this for money but it’s a passion project :) I’ll be posting about this more on my IG handle @carsandwhisky as progress continues! 

D0D3C4A8-F3E2-449C-85AB-64B2DD3AF8E9.jpeg

EA3E5FAF-090E-44F8-8BDB-95D8A1EE23DA.jpeg

5BD27312-1F7C-467B-A1CC-F43433DCAF96.jpeg

1B01035F-ED1A-41B9-8DAB-CB264EAD4911.jpeg

46421D72-7679-46F1-AF4B-16CB0BC26624.jpeg

69723716611__4944D765-D39E-4520-8BBA-FDC7CF60AC78.jpeg

IMG_9497.jpeg

• Like 25

Fabulous project!  I got into metal shaping while working on my 2002, and have followed a similar path.  I learned from a bunch of great metal-shapers and am now beating up metal for my 2002.  I learned how to use an english wheel and built one for myself over a winter with a 36" throat so I could work panels like your hood.  I look forward to your posts!

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Wow!  There are gonna be a lot of high end restoration shops (and Ferrari dealerships) who will want to hire you when you show up with that tucked under your arm in lieu of a resume!  And the first one will be the guy who bought the $2 million wrecked Ferrari at the recent Monterrey auction.

Are you using the original steel under structure or making that from aluminum too?

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

54 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

There are gonna be a lot of high end restoration shops (and Ferrari dealerships) who will want to hire you when you show up with that tucked under your arm in lieu of a resume!  And the first one will be the guy who bought the $2 million wrecked Ferrari at the recent Monterrey auction.

This reminded me of my visit to Bacchelli & Villa last year...

ferrari-visit-1.jpg

ferrari-visit-2.jpg

ferrari-visit-3.jpg

• Like 5

Regarding the inner structure, my plan is to replicate the factory structure with aluminum as closely as possible and bond it to the skin. Welding would create too much distortion. I will use the factory hinges in front but I’m going to ditch the rear cable rod lock in favor of 60s type rubber dog bone straps as used by many BMWs and Porsches in period. I’ll see how it goes when I get there. 

The biggest initial hurdle to this hood (besides starting at zero on coachbuilding knowledge) was how to make the grill sections. My 79 year old father is far more clever than me and figured out that it would be easier to machine those holes rather than try to perfectly press each hole on a curve with a custom die. 

The solution was to start with 1/8” plate aluminum and mill radiused holes at full depth to create the illusion that they are punched, and then flipping the piece and having the machine mill down the backside to a finished thickness of 0.050”. We had a CNC machinist friend make these it took him a few days and several chewed up test pieces (the machine cutter would sometimes grab the backside and want to tear corners). Anyway, that was a rabbit hole but every single aspect of the hood project has been that way 🤣

IMG_6993.jpeg

IMG_6985.jpeg

IMG_6998.jpeg

• Like 6

It’s all standard 3003 aluminum which is commonly used for panel forming on cars. I can say unequivocally that none of this would be remotely possible without the help of Wray Schelin @proshaper up in Charlton, MA. Yes I’m doing 99% of the work but when I get stuck a few minutes of guidance from him gets you on the right course again. Plus his facility is unbelievable. It’s not a stretch to say that few places on the planet have the equipment he has. 19 English wheels for starters! Highly recommend his classes…

Edited by 2002GT3CAR