• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern fuel ok as it?

gshiiii
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Less ethanol the better but no harm running E10. Just might cause things like fuel lines to crack in 5 years instead of 10 years. Just do routine maintenance and you wont have a problem. E10 is just harder on rubber components. All the fuel i have is E10 and i have had no problems. 

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

In Oregon you have no choice in the matter, all  automotive fuel must be blended with at least 10% ethanol.

I dont think any fuel additives are necessary, go with the E5.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

In my part of NC gas stations have started offered ethanol free (for a premium) which is nice and since not a daily driver a tank lasts me.  But I must admit I did not notice a big change when I switched to it:

Edited by Dave919

1 hour ago, Dave919 said:

… But I must admit I did not notice a bug change when I switched to it:

The “change,” as @Stevenc22 mentioned above, is not in the engine’s power, responsiveness, or smoothness, it’s in the longevity of rubber components within the fuel system. So if you don’t have to replace a new fuel pump within 3 years — as I did not long ago — you are noticing a change!

Fewer fuel system issues is your reward!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

51 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The “change,” as @Stevenc22 mentioned above, is not in the engine’s power, responsiveness, or smoothness, it’s in the longevity of rubber components within the fuel system. So if you don’t have to replace a new fuel pump within 3 years — as I did not long ago — you are noticing a change!

Fewer fuel system issues is your reward!

Regards,

Steve

Also, ethanol fuel doesn't store well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The “change,” as @Stevenc22 mentioned above, is not in the engine’s power, responsiveness, or smoothness,

I disagree, because ethanol free contains more energee.  I G00gled to pr0ve it!

Does ethanol-free gas give more horsepower?

Ethanol-free gas can provide better performance and additional horsepower, especially in older vehicles. Ethanol contains 30% less energy than gasoline. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I disagree, because ethanol free contains more energee.

Er. . . *SORT* of.  Per unit density that's true, one gram of ethanol contains 30% less energy than one gram of gasoline, but that isn't quite the whole story.  Gasoline burns at one part gas to 14.7 parts oxygen, however ethanol uses only 9 parts oxygen to 1 part ethanol.  So for a given volume of air (or in familiar terms, once cylinder fillings' worth), you can actually burn almost 50% MORE ethanol per combustion than you can gasoline.  This obviously does two things: it actually makes a *little* bit MORE power (70% power * 150% = 105% power), but you're fuel economy takes a bit hit.  So, just like Obi Wan said, it all depends on your point of view.  You indeed have less energy in the tank, and accordingly can't drive as far.  But on the other hand, it'll go a bit faster until empty!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Solution
12 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

All the fuel i have is E10 and i have had no problems. 

+ 1.

I've been running that stuff (E10) ever since it was foisted on us, with no mechanical/parts longevity problems so far.  However, looking back on my gas mileage records (yeah, I know--I have 'em back to 1969) since ethanol has been added to the fuel mix, I've noticed my gas mileage has decreased.  I used to get near or over 30 mpg on my 1 barrel '69 on trips, now it's more like 27 or so.

But on the other side of the coin, no deteriorated fuel lines, fuel pump diaphragms or disintegrating carb innards.  And my cars will sometimes sit for up to six months, and re-start with no problems...So far.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite