• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone tried these: Michelin Pilot Exalto 175/65R13?

Donnelly
Go to solution Solved by Road trip,

Ooohh, looking forward to hearing more about this, up until now I was set on these Yokos but I do like the look of those Michelins:

yok_advan_hf_typed_a008-apr22.jpg
WWW.DEMON-TWEEKS.COM

The Yokohama Advan HF Type-D A008 is designed as a modern reproduction of the classic A008 that was launched way back in the early 80s. Way back when this tyre was an instant hit with those who enjoy track driving and was hugely popular with members of the Porsche...

7 hours ago, Donnelly said:

Coker tire has these at $92 each for 175/65r13.

I was wondering if anyone has tried

these?

michelin-pilot-exalto-1_10.jpg?quality=8
WWW.COKERTIRE.COM

In the early 2000s, the MICHELIN Pilot Exalto PE2 tire was born and this 175/65R13 is a current offering available...

Wow, that's great news, a decent tire in this size, and at a reasonable price! My 2002tii has 15x7 wheels, but our Jensen-Healey roadster uses this size (I think), and we went with whatever Kumho tire is available in this size. No complaints about that tire, but if they ever wear out we will look at this option.

• Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Check the rolling diameter and revs/mile of the tire vs the OEM size (165x13) or the nearly identical 185/70x13).  I think you'll find the 175/65 a bit smaller, which will throw your speedo and odometer off...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Those will be 5.2% smaller than (my) 185/70/13, in terms of diameter and circumference. 

fbshare.jpg
TIRESIZE.COM

The best tire size calculator. Use our tire size calculator to find tire size specs and suggested tire sizes. Then check prices for all available tire sizes.

That'd mean my '76 speedometer (set for a 3.64 diff / not the 3.90 diff) would be off by 15.2%, instead of 10%. 

I can do the math in my head at 10%, but 15.2% would be more difficult.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fastricky said:

Ooohh, looking forward to hearing more about this, up until now I was set on these Yokos but I do like the look of those Michelins:

yok_advan_hf_typed_a008-apr22.jpg
WWW.DEMON-TWEEKS.COM

The Yokohama Advan HF Type-D A008 is designed as a modern reproduction of the classic A008 that was launched way back in the early 80s. Way back when this tyre was an instant hit with those who enjoy track driving and was hugely popular with members of the Porsche...

I love the look on these.

• Like 1

I know I could figure this out, but I'm not nearly as good at the tire calculator thing as some are...

Many of us have speedos that are in the 5-10% "optimistic" range.  That is, a speedo is 10% optimistic if it indicates a speed of 55 mph when you are actually going 50 mph.  This would be either with stock 165x13 tires or with the closest equivalent 185/70x13.

For 13" tires, if I wanted to not go any wider than 185 to keep near stock steering effort (165, 175, and 185 would all be fine) and to work with period wheel widths, what would be the best tire sizes to help compensate for say a 5% optimistic speedometer and then a 10% optimistic speedometer?  Just wondering if that would help with tire availability and prices along with giving a more correct speedometer reading, effectively killing two birds with one stone.

Thanks,

Gary

Trying to answer my own question, I played around with this "speedometer calibration calculator": https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

This let me know it's higher aspect ratios that would help with compensating for speedometer error.  With my highest acceptable 185 width (lesser width results in aspect ratios that aren't produced) going to 80 aspect ratio, you can get a 6.3% "compensation" for an optimistic speedometer.  But, looking on TireRack for instance, that 185/80x13 size is made only for trailers, not passenger cars.

So without going to wider wheels and fatter tires (I'd rather live with some speedo error than compromise the light steering), there is not a viable option that helps with optimistic speedometers.

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy
  • Like 1