• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's this for a BaT Unicorn?

Leucadian

One of the auction posters placed a link with info/specs on Burkhard Bovensiepen and how Alpina got started, originally printed in "Total BMW" from 2011. it's a great read if you want to learn a bit more about the A4S. 

https://www.bmw2002.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Alpina-A4S-Total-BMW-April-2011.pdf

Alpina-A4S-Total-BMW-April-2011.pdf

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

Threaded the needle a little on this, I was looking at this section of some of the Alpina spec's for the Tii, these were TUV requirements.  If you were installing an A4 (or A4s) motor you had to install the 'FA3' Kit which was struts, brakes (rotors, scooped backing plates, calipers and pads).  I don't know the backing plates were listed on that suspension build sheet I posted, but the others were.  Likewise, the 5" or 5.5" wheels.  Differential as well which is curious, I think this one came from the factory with a 3.64 so Alpina didn't 'have' to change it.

Alpina A4 TUV.jpeg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, walkinfool said:

One of the auction posters placed a link with info/specs on Burkhard Bovensiepen and how Alpina got started, originally printed in "Total BMW" from 2011. it's a great read if you want to learn a bit more about the A4S. 

https://www.bmw2002.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Alpina-A4S-Total-BMW-April-2011.pdf

Alpina-A4S-Total-BMW-April-2011.pdf 2.45 MB · 7 downloads

The book "BMW Alpina" by James Taylor has a chapter dedicated to Alpina parts and full vehicle modifications for both street  as well as racing models of NK, 2000CS, and 02 BMWs. Overall ony a small part of the book, but fun to read. There was a 170 hp carbureted A5 engine that made it into a press car or two, 180 hp 7k rpm Group 5 race engine - and fun Alpina stuff listed I've never seen or heard mentioned - adjustable gas pedal, driver left foot rest, aluminum knee supports, dry sumps, titanium connecting rod bolts and nuts. All mined by hand by black forest elves and forged from pure virgin unobtanium no doubt. 

• Like 3

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Maybe not......Alpina 148mm lightened/polished connecting rods + titanium rod bolts (now retired for new Carillo's), Alpina dry sump pump/pulleys, mounting hardware/brackets (maybe or maybe not to be installed).  My car is kind of a living catalog for quite a few of the parts they listed (including in 1975 a BMW Alpina 16v racing engine.....).

IMG_20220718_121643.jpg

IMG_20220718_121518.jpg

DSC_4016.jpg

DSC_4055.jpg

• Like 9

• 10 months later...

Couldn't help but notice that this '74 Alpina is back on BaT. Not sure if it will reach 170K again, but should be interesting to watch.

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a 1974 BMW 2002tii Alpina A4S 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #134,524.

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I wonder if this will reflect the '2023 fiscal on the 2002' downturn....

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What is Alpina, and what is not ?

For me an"Alpina"car is one that has been modified to one of the Alpina tuning categories at the Alpina facility. But, kits were also available from Alpina for the home grown mechanic. Alpina started by selling a basic bolt-on twin Weber DCOE carb kit for the stock NK1500 to bring up its performance on par with the newly introduced BMW 1800 in 1963. These twin carb kits for the stock motors were good for a 10hp gain.

But, "Alpina" has become a marketing catch word such as "Euro", "Concours" etc, especially on the auction sites such as Bring A Trailer where some of the more wily salesmen aim to tap into bidders' emotions. Once you start bidding on an emotional level your mind suppresses rational thought. That's when they got you.

It's the same as visiting and outdoor bazaar, where among the the veteran peddlers and melon vendors there are just average people trying to sell something. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a car with no reserve price, but on other occasions you end up with rotten melon. It's a hit & miss. You got to be careful.

Edited by Zak
  • Like 1