• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do you hate bottle caps?

nodoi

I'm a newcomer to the world of the 2002 and the '73 I have is in dire need of new rubber. I have stock 13" steelies with hub caps and love the look. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of 13" options for rubber. I've found that 14" E30 wheels fit great, but have heard rumblings of bottle cap hate out there. Is there some reason why these affordable wheels are the black sheep of the 2002 world? Maybe they are just too common? Too 80's?

I agree with you. I love my bottlecaps and 14" inch tires are easier to find than 13" tires. Plus i have big brakes front and back that wont clear 13" wheels.

image.thumb.png.88c0c73bf53a1615e164136313ccd082.png

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Like 6

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Bottle caps represent the most basic, complacent upgrade you can think of when it comes to wheels. 

they are easy to find (and often free), so they represent no challenge for the 2002 owner. 

They take away from what the 2002 is, which is unique and sporty in its simple form. 

Bottle cap wheels are boring. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I’ve never really had a problem with bottlecaps and I actually think they work well on a 2002. They are, however, fairly conservative and uninspiring aesthetically. Consequently, I think most people decide to go with a wheel design that is either more period correct and/or more sporty/performance looking to accentuate the appearance of their 02.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.259667e0e457084f1dd9f2fad1719aaf.JPG

I like my bottlecaps. They are purposeful, great fit and when I bought them in 1990 they were a great upgrade for a daily driver. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Still work well today although the choice of tires is not as it used to be. 

• Like 4

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

They add to what the 2002 it- sporty in its simple form. 

Bottle cap wheels are hard to clean. 

Completely rewrote that for ya.

The bottlecap was the ubiquitous '+1' back when the car was a $500 shitbox.

Now that it's a $25,500 shitbox, everyone's gotten too snooty for them.

They are strong, exactly the right size, and let you get about as much rubber

as reasonably fits a stock 2002 at somewhat lower than stock ride height.

They used to be almost free, so if you wanted snow tires, track tires, or mudders,

it was an obvious solution.

The only down side is that they are relatively heavy,  Oh, and the cleaning thing.

There was even a company out there once that would mill away every other 

'spoke' for you- they said it was for looks.  I said it was for cleaning.

Because they were on all the $500 shitboxes- most of mine- those who aspired to

'collectability' avoided them.  Then 14" tires started going away, cheap Chinesium rimz

for the Noo Mini came out, so there was a casting blank in the right offset, and 

now you didn't HAVE to run them.

But other than tire availability, there's nothing wrong with them.  I think I'm down to 5 or 6 sets,

now, from a record high of 10.  Ish.  They came free with every E30 parts car...

t

• Like 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, danco_ said:

Bottle caps represent the most basic, complacent upgrade you can think of when it comes to wheels. 

they are easy to find (and often free), so they represent no challenge for the 2002 owner. 

They take away from what the 2002 is, which is unique and sporty in its simple form. 

Bottle cap wheels are boring. 

...what Ryan said.  Plus, I just don't think they are a very "period correct" wheel.  I think they are in the same category as the E21 13" turbines.

Oh, and by the way, I don't "hate" either the bottlecaps or turbines.  I just think there are MANY better options that add to the look of the '02.

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Bottlecaps could be thought of in the same category as E21 turbines except that they actually have the right offset for our cars.  My experience is that they're easier to clean than the turbines also. 

Great condition bottlecaps are easy to find and can be had for less than the price of the rattle cans to repaint a set of steel wheels.  For the price conscious they are an excellent choice.  Wheels and tires can be a journey, not a destination.  I did that for a while with E21 turbines because they were $5 each with new tires, and all of the free bottlecaps that I collected along the way weren't in great condition.  My car didn't mind at all. 

Everybody is entitled to love or hate any particular wheel style.  Too 80's?  Too 70's?  Too modern looking?  Too little rubber, doesn't look right (15" and larger for some, even 14" for some others)?  Too hard to clean?  Too Ricey?  The list goes on...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TobyB said:

There was even a company out there once that would mill away every other 

'spoke' for you- they said it was for looks.  I said it was for cleaning.

Because they were on all the $500 shitboxes- most of mine- those who aspired to

'collectability' avoided them.  Then 14" tires started going away, cheap Chinesium rimz

for the Noo Mini came out, so there was a casting blank in the right offset, and 

now you didn't HAVE to run them.

Interesting... is there any photo evidence of these milled bottlecaps out there? I searched, but didn't see any. Also, are you saying that the new mini wheel spec is a fit for the 2002? That's news to me

As mentioned, they’re cheap, heavy and basic. Even the e30 guys hate them, which is why they’ve traditionally been a good upgrade for 2002’s. 
And they’re going up in price. 
Year and a half ago we upgraded my sons e30 from bottlecaps to basketweaves (which I think look better on 2002’s too-but costly). We had trouble giving them away. 
Fast forward to couple months ago when o got my 2002 and cheapest I could find was $200/set for a beat set lol. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5eb25a1135d26e2a810a3fdcf58b0312.jpeg

eventually I’ll repaint the copper to dark  bronze. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)