• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts in Common with Other Marques

Slavs

I got this idea during a discussion in another thread.

Our 02s and classic BMWs have parts in common with other marques. I know of a handfull off the top of my head, but I will start by listing one:

The single brake master cylinder and reservoir to the 1968 2002 and early 1969 1600-2 with single circuit brakes; It is also shared by many Alfas from the late 60s and 70s. The fluid reservoir is also identical  and is used by some Italian exotics such as Ferrari and Maserati. It is fitted with either a plastic or metal screw on cap.

This master is also used on the 1977-83 BMW 320i, but with a different fluid reservoir. When using the 320i master you must also use the corresponding 320i fluid reservoir because the 320 master has larger openings for larger rubber grommets into which the reservoir is fitted. And, with the 320i master the fluid reservoir cap has a different attachment for the fluid level warning light. Otherwise the master is identical. The last three two pics are of the 320i master and reservoir with the larger grommets.

2002-15-1602104833534@2x.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

bc450.jpg

Master-cylinder-brake-fluid-reservoir-container.jpg

index.jpg

images.jpg

images 2.jpg

Edited by Alexei

37 minutes ago, Alexei said:

The Petri steering wheel sought after by many e9 coupe owners along with some 02 pilots was stock equipment on some early VW Sciroccos. So, some of you e9 snobs are not so elite after all.

They just look alike but are different

• Like 2

Side markets (non-illuminated) on 2002s--both amber and red--were used on contemporaneous Mercedes-Benz cars.  And MB has a repair kit for the pivot points on window regulator mechanisms.  

5jx13 plain (not slotted) wheels from early 70s Opel Kadette station wagons are identical to those used on roundie tii's except for the location of the valve stem hole.  They're even made by the same company (Lemmetz).  Chevettes use the same wheel, but with slots.  Also made by Lemmetz.  2002 wheel covers fit both.

Early single piston caliper front brakes interchange with Opel Kadettes of similar vintage.  

First generation VW Rabbit GTIs and Siroccos are a good source of oil temperature gauges. 

Audi 100s use the same sunroof weatherstrip as 2002s, and it's available in black as well as grey.

Early 70s Porsche 911's use a pop-up sunroof wind deflector that's a direct fit to a 2002 sunroof...

All I got for now.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes, many different Euro cars share parts produced by the same second-tier Euro auto suppliers from that same time period. So it’s not unusual to find the same parts used across the different makes, particularly in German & Italian cars.

Ignition/electrical, brake, and fuel system components were among the most ‘common’ shared part applications.

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Same sunroof parts (mostly) as the 70s 140/160 Volvos. Wheel bearings on a non tii are the same as mid size Mopars dome light for non sunroof cars was also used in later VWs, Oh and same sealed beam headlights as everyone else😎.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Select Mercedes/Porsches used the same interior rear view mirror mounting (the frame on my car is from a 300sl gullwing).

Select Mercedes/Porsche/Datsun use similar enough interior handle/crank knurling.

Early single line caliper compatibility  extends to the old 911s’s.  There’s also a larger single line BMC from Mercedes that has an even larger ID.  Then there are the brake boosters.

Which reinforces @visionaut’s statement of reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Same sunroof parts (mostly) as the 70s 140/160 Volvos. Wheel bearings on a non tii are the same as mid size Mopars dome light for non sunroof cars was also used in later VWs, Oh and same sealed beam headlights as everyone else😎.

Also the Volvo 240 series cars had many of the same Golde sunroof parts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

5jx13 plain (not slotted) wheels from early 70s Opel Kadette station wagons are identical to those used on roundie tii's except for the location of the valve stem hole.  They're even made by the same company (Lemmetz).  Chevettes use the same wheel, but with slots.  Also made by Lemmetz.  2002 wheel covers fit both.

Also they look similar but are different when it comes to clearance over calipers...
So not 1:1

Edited by uai

2 hours ago, Alexei said:

What is different about them ?

Grain of the texture and the foam body of the rim is slightly different.
If I have them in front of me I can distinguish one from the other

Edited by uai
  • Like 1