• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Rebuild Project

2002#3
Go to solution Solved by 2002#3,

M10 Rebuild Part 22

Head-associated parts cleaned, sonicated, degreased, bagged, and blessed.  Same for head and crankshaft (forgot to photograph).  Block goes to the beauty salon on Thursday to get scrubbed and all gussied up.

IMG_71622.thumb.jpeg.e14e1e06da219b999b92961e56475c18.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2002#3 said:

Block goes to the beauty salon on Thursday to get scrubbed and all gussied up.

Block and head looked pretty "gussied up" when you degreed the cam... are you doing it again,

or taking it to a far up level? Gonna be sweet, for sure!

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Sharp eyes, Old Roller!

My machinist is teaching me how to build an engine.  Each Tuesday we start with 1 -2 hours of "lecture" on engine stuff:  torque wrench theory, nuts/washers/bolts, piston and ring design, combustion chamber antics (detonation, burning, scavenging, backpressure, octane, lubrication in several critical areas, carburation, air flow, etc. (really super-dupe stuff) followed by a couple of hour hands-on.

He will make me assemble the engine while he works on other stuff close by.  In fact, he'll probably watch me like a chicken eyes a Junebug.   

Answer to Your Question:  Everything you've seen so far is trial fitting.  His approach is to trial fit several components (in my case two rods/piston/rings, and one half of the valve train), degree the cam, check for clearances, disassemble, clean parts ad nauseaum, and reassemble.  

It's always fun to go back occasionally to the start (photo).

IMG_4584.thumb.jpeg.30a40f8d13dac958b52b67621bd25628.jpeg

• Like 4

Joesprocket,

Chain tensioner:  nothing outstanding - polished the piston and cylinder with 0000 steel wool; shot brake cleaner into the piston until the ball rattled freely; new spring and crush washer.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2024 at 10:52 PM, 2002#3 said:

Yep, on a head gasket.

Sill new gasket with all the bolts torqued down may change the timing. But you can check it in final assembly and you have still two positions to drill a new hole for locking pin. For bolts I'd put some loctite but nicely installed safety wire sure looks cool.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

8 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

always fun to go back occasionally to the start

You are fortunate to have a mentor. My grandfather gave me his '51 chevy 100 4 door in the weeds if I could get it running when I was nine. I bugged the hell out of everyone in the village for info, parts, and pieces until a old gentleman invited me into his garage and taught me on his '49 Olds Rocket 88. I'll never forget the man.

Much work later, I taped 2x4 pieces to the pedals with electrical tape and drove the hell out of that car around the village and Croatan National Forest (basically standing up on the pedals) until one frisky day I hit a pine stump and tore the oil pan open. Walked back the 7 or 8 miles to the village and tried to borrow a tractor... no takers on that front. There she sat until a year or so later a hot rodder dragged her out and made a flat tracker out of her. 

So I was beaten, but hooked. It's been a long and interesting ride.

So, yeah, it's always fun to go back to the start! 

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 7

That is an awesome story. I too wish I had a local mentor to review my work. I’m pretty much wingin’ it over here. All the more reason to be appreciative of this community. 

• Like 3

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

I was lucky enough to have a hot rodding father!

At a young age I was hooked on cars. I had hundreds of Matchbox and Hot Wheels toy cars.

When I finished High School, I found a great automotive program at my local community College. There I became great friends with some of my instructors and learned lots from them. Both as teachers and friends.

I always try to pass my knowledge on to others. If you don't share your knowledge it dies with you!

• Like 7

M10 Rebuild Part 23

Today, last step before assembly:  block sent to the exterior beauty parlor for a wash, rinse, set, dry, and a light coat of WD40 (cylinders and deck; it helps set the curls). 

Everything bought, shipped, machined, decked, bored, cleaned, scrubbed, sonicated, adjusted, bagged, and introduced to each other.  Next week:  assembly.

Not shown:  lightweight FW and a potload of gaskets; pistons and rods in the RW&B box

A few new cars showed up in the garage since my last visit.  The AMX is particularly sweet.

IMG_7176.thumb.jpeg.cfd934e6fcf323c9eb1723e9c1f4ac68.jpegIMG_7177.thumb.jpeg.53971f5cb088efcd8e6d1bba84a61f7f.jpeg

IMG_7178.thumb.jpeg.e3fa6b86680190437a0d23afe31e26ff.jpeg

IMG_7167.thumb.jpeg.bacc7f0c89933fa8c5de0ecd20c2585a.jpeg

IMG_7171.thumb.jpeg.4c725b671bc319a56c5b6b01ab90d4ac.jpeg

IMG_7169.thumb.jpeg.24ed5cd1675758fbfa271b261621531d.jpeg

Edited by 2002#3
  • Like 5

Great to see all this progress, Larry, and really appreciate the opportunity  to follow along.  

Kudos to you, and all the commenters in this thread, for sharing wisdom with we less experienced folks!

PS: Could not agree more re the AMX. 

Edited by Bob D.

That pile of stuff looks like Christmas! And you are in some pretty high cotton company, and a nice shop.

looking forward to the progress!

• Like 1

Yep, Roller, when I'm there I'm sh%##ing in some pretty high cotton.  For some reason they like me (go figure) and let me hang there.  I DO NOT ever take it for granted.  I go back a long way with one of the machinists/engine builders there and am fortunate to have him teach me.  Their expertise is older vehicles and fabrication of NLA and rare stuff. 

Photos:  1/3 of the garage and a few of the many machines which overshadow (read, intimidate) me when I am there.

image.thumb.jpeg.61a4eee0079137b4d9b0fbae58156611.jpeg

IMG_7113.thumb.jpeg.40816e58f358952c3b1ca4ce9513284b.jpeg

IMG_7112.thumb.jpeg.fa0ee2db46b5e33efcc91ec527faeb24.jpeg

IMG_7109.thumb.jpeg.181b41473c59a7731698d9b7ce4bb598.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I come for the engine building and stay for the pics of that garage (plus bonus basset hound!) Heck of a variety of cars. 300sl roadster (?) to an STi. You are hanging around some good folks and cars.

• Like 2