• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Rebuild Project

2002#3
Go to solution Solved by 2002#3,

On some decking/milling machines, the block cannot be decked with the lower TC cover attached because the large round tube/nipple that houses the TC tensioner piston sticks up above the deck of the head and prevents the milling machine from moving freely at deck level.  The machinist had to measure how much the deck was lowered and mill the TC cover separately and accordingly.  Another FAQer had the same issue decking a block and stated the issue a little differently:  "Their mill head was too big to shave the lower timing cover when they decked the block."

2 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

On some decking/milling machines, the block cannot be decked with the lower TC cover attached because the large round tube/nipple that houses the TC tensioner piston sticks up above the deck of the head and prevents the milling machine from moving freely at deck level.  The machinist had to measure how much the deck was lowered and mill the TC cover separately and accordingly.  Another FAQer had the same issue decking a block and stated the issue a little differently:  "Their mill head was too big to shave the lower timing cover when they decked the block."

I had the same issue at my machine shop. I had to take it somewhere else to get the lower cover shaved. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

also, if the machinist's using a stone for cutting the cast iron, they're not going to want

to hit aluminum with it, so that'd end up being a separate operation.

Now I want to try it with a scrap block (I'm good at making those) on the Bridgeport clone.

I suspect my table's not within 0.005"!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

M10 Rebuild Part 14

Finally found a 2-bbl air filter housing and semi-late and late lids in good shape.  Stripped, de-rusted, stopped rust, and  several coats of satin (semi-late lid) and semi-gloss (late lid) black paint.  Left the logos plain steel.  Two lids and two hats to fit two moods.  Will be used on the initial carb (38/38) which will serve the new rebuild.  Looks fine now; however, functional surgery is likely in the future so all can fit well onto the carb and within the engine bay.   Pretty for a while anyway.

IMG_6377.thumb.jpeg.760cc31da0269d16ad4267aed43dd5fc.jpeg

IMG_63832.thumb.jpeg.933eb1ce61736e91e93a4bce8670c344.jpeg

IMG_63792.thumb.jpeg.5d642343417d7568079c24590f9a4934.jpeg

IMG_6381.thumb.jpeg.f728f83f7971ad1b4bd2fe669cbe6ab9.jpeg

Edited by 2002#3
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

M10 Rebuild Part 16

While I have been waiting for my machinist to wake up and do something, I decided to rebuild a pair of Italian Weber 40 DCOEs which will be used on the engine somewhere down the road, so to speak.  I plan to start with a 38/38 and switch to duals later.

Today I disassembled the DCOE #1.  The throttle plates and shaft look new and work well so I left them in situ.    I used my new DIY soda blaster on the body, ordered new brass cheese head screws for covers, and ordered rebuild kits.  Tomorrow all reusable parts  such as jets, pumps, etc. will be cleaned while I wait for bolts and a kit.

IMG_6833.thumb.jpeg.c324239256928a044437b2b235db6c58.jpeg

Edited by 2002#3
changed photo
  • Like 4

Block for the 74 had rust from sitting 35 years... cleaned,  bored 2nd os and decked .006". Lower timing cover needed addressing, I used a tip from the forum and took it down using a glass sheet and 200/400 paper to carefully remove the .006" from the top face.

Took a bit of time, measuring between paper sessions. Perfect.

One head bolt hole to address yet. 

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work Larry! Working on my stock air cleaner for the Weber 38 also, have the manifold in hand with original brackets so easy to get a measurement for an adapter that will be full flow and integrated into the housing. A bit of shaping, cutting and welding needed. Like the lids! 

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

• 1 month later...

M10 Rebuild Part 19

After 16 months of block and head machining (a separate story), let the good stuff begin. 

Trial fitting started this morning.  Installed main bearings (well, two mains, anyway), laid (comments welcome) a crankshaft, and set thrust bearing tolerance.  This small beginning was a huge and satisfying deal.  Torquing main caps snug and still being able to spin the crank with a little finger - sweet.

Stay tuned.  News at 11:00.

IMG_7039.thumb.jpeg.284f29ff7d00a46d62f153a1780f5f14.jpeg

• Like 6