• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

some carbon fiber on a 2002 .......

On 7/14/2022 at 7:09 PM, TobyB said:

Farbin Kaiber!

I save lots of money and time and add minimal weight by using

FibreGlas...

Fiberglass has its application but this Carbon kit is next level, I couldn’t imagine using it on a track car nor could I imagine using racing fiberglass on my street car 

WWW.SONOFCOBRA.COM

E9C6E822-1B34-4AC3-9ADA-7FF2CEB639D7.thumb.jpeg.fb067b42fd51f88c6d104a9aa2fcb765.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

4 hours ago, chargin said:

Fiberglass has its application but this Carbon kit is next level, I couldn’t imagine using it on a track car nor could I imagine using racing fiberglass on my street car 

isn't that kind of bass ackwards?

FG or CF could be  made in the same mould to the same quality level.

once painted, you can't tell the difference.  FG perfect for street car.  CF is really pointless on a street car. well, except for C&C bragging.

FG is cheaper if you, ah, have to fix it a lot, but, for full tilt race car where every ounce saved is more speed, CF is the way to go.

2xM3

Based on what I have seen from SOC, he must have some pretty knock out molds.  Most often with CF folks want to see the 'fiber' with clear.  It takes a SH*T load of time to make a mold - a production mold that you can take a part out of and not have to touch again.  In some cases for my race car I ended up pulling a part off an existing fender, fixing it, making a new plug, then a mold and new part off of that.  Unfortunately, I went way too far down the rabbit hole in trying to make the plug too perfect when at the end of the day a little bit of filler here and there isn't making the weight difference for my vintage racer.  My skills are well below SOC, that said I learned a lot about FG and mold making.

We are extremely close to offering parts for sale and full builds. But even though we've been quiet for a while, we've been extremely busy working on some really great projects, perfecting molds, and streamlining the process so we can pull parts efficiently. This project is 3 years in the making and we aren't willing to come out to market prematurely. 

Meanwhile, here's a fresh carbon roof panel directly from the mold, for your viewing pleasure. 

IMG_9846.thumb.JPG.19aa39bc88442c791840c65f0b776e4d.JPG

• Like 10

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

17 hours ago, chargin said:

S.O.C. (Paul) is a craftsman. He made the lightweight fiberglass* fenders for the vintage race car restoration project I'm working on, likewise the rear flares (*the vintage racing organizations we're targeting don't allow carbon fiber body parts). -KB

• Like 3

OK I am stupid... not the first time I came to terms with this, but how exactly do you replace your roof with carbon fibre.  Do you keep the frame/ribs of the roof, and just cut off the skin and glue the carbon fiber one on?

Derp... 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I had the pleasure of seeing the shell in person when I dropped off my car at Matt's shop.  The attention to detail is next level, and the quality of weave is amazing.

These guys are artisans, make no mistake.

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

7 hours ago, Dudeland said:

OK I am stupid... not the first time I came to terms with this, but how exactly do you replace your roof with carbon fibre.  Do you keep the frame/ribs of the roof, and just cut off the skin and glue the carbon fiber one on?

Derp... 

Funny that you mention that. We are currently making a tutorial on how to cut the existing roof panel and bond the new carbon fiber skin to the existing frame. 

We sat down and decided a few install tutorials are necessary since we plan on selling these and hope the install instructions answer all the simple questions customers might have. 

We are super close now. A few weeks at max until we update the website with parts and purchase options. 

Hang tight, it's happening. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...