• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front and rear windshield differences

BLUNT

I have a new clear windshield or maybe rear windshield. Its been so long Ive forgotten. Is there a sure way to tell them apart? Im 5 miles from it or Id go see if there are any identifying numbers. @ClayW wants an early clear windshield. It would be just like me to ship him the rear ,then have to ship it back. Solidifying my business plan

Anyone know for sure?

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The rear glass has the defroster lines, jk?.

Don't count on it.  Not all have a rear defroster.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The bottom outside corners of the rear window are tucked inward more than the front.  just a bit....  This characteristic only helps if you have both windows in front of you at the same time

With one diligent bean counter watching during the '02 design process, we coulda' had the only car model with front and rear windows the same with no real degradation of the design, they're that similar (except for that safety glass thing).  

4 hours ago, BLUNT said:

I have a new clear windshield or maybe rear windshield. Its been so long Ive forgotten. Is there a sure way to tell them apart? Im 5 miles from it or Id go see if there are any identifying numbers. @ClayW wants an early clear windshield. It would be just like me to ship him the rear ,then have to ship it back. Solidifying my business plan

Anyone know for sure?

You have a 2002 there. Hold it up to the car.

Poophead.

• Haha 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 hours ago, Regerfab said:

easiest way to tell for me is to look at the edge and see if its multiple layers (front) or solid (rear)

Laminate.jpg

Both of those look laminated to me.

I'm not sure a tempered front windshield can be sold legally in the U.S. anymore. If the glass is  labeled "tempered" it's likely for the rear. If it's labelled "laminated" maybe it could be for either front or rear.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

5 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The rear glass has the defroster lines,

Actually it's pretty rare for clear backlight glass to have a defroster grid.  I tried to include that option when I ordered my car in January '69 and was told it would be 6 months before they would be available, so I did without.  It took me 18 years of pretty diligent searching to find a heated, clear backlight, and it came off a Euro 1602 deep in the woods of rural Georgia. 

US law has required laminated windshield glass for many years (pre- WW II); the only time you'll see a tempered windshield is on an older, individually imported car, especially an English one.  But the windshield is the only laminated glass you'll find on a US car; all the other glasses are tempered.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

why on God's green earth can't we spend the money on heated screens???

They work so damned well.

t

fogged over.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL