• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rover V8 into a 73 02

Mikesipe264

So I already swapped the entire drivetrain from a newer m20  e30 into my 73 base 02, but I want more power, if I found the right rover V8 it would be lighter and make more hp to start with, and it would sound glorious. I'm just not sure if I want to open another can of worms. Thoughts anyone?

There was a fellow who did a rover V8 with weber downdrafts swap a little over ten years ago.  I believe he sold it as an unfinished project.  It looked pretty awesome.  

That being said, as Mike points out a rev-happy properly built stroker M20 with ITB's or Webers is a completely different animal than a stock M20.   vid1   vid2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been down the swap path before too and all I can say is there's WAY more choices nowadays.  IE: A stock late model Chevy V6 puts out almost 300hp naturally aspirated and there are a ton of 2.0L turbo motors to choose from.  I've always liked the idea of a bigger basically stock motor for a swap than a smaller motor with lots of mods.  I guess I go for less maintenance.  8-)

Agreed- the Rover's an antique.

Even the S2000's a 'classic'.

Personally, I might try an N52B30, if I was going to live forever

but was doing it right now.  The E30 guys are getting kissing- close

to 300 bhp out of the things...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The Rover V8 started out life as the 215 cu/in aluminum block engine in the original Buick Skylark, vintage 1962 or so.  It migrated to England in the late 60s to Rover Cars as an engine upgrade for the Rover 2000 (2 liter four) and was subsequently used in various Rover cars and Land Rovers until BMW bought the company in the 90s. 

So...as was pointed out, that's a pretty old (but good) design.  And you'd find it a lot easier to find one from an old Buick Special than try to score one from a Rover--unless of course you're in the UK...and regardless, it's gonna be a tight squeeze.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Agreed- the Rover's an antique.

AKA, period correct for an antique BMW.  

Tack onto that the fact it was used to win an F1 World Championship, used in CanAm, and US Rally Championship......so... period correct with pedigree without any modern plastic-bedazzling. 

Edit, arguing against myself .... the N52 is the last of the BMW NA straight sixes.  So it does have that going for it.

While it is true that every manufacturer seems to have a 2L turbo with 200-300hp, the key is getting it to work. Engines like K-swaps are all the rage - and for good reasons, but M20's are popular in 2002s because they are a known entity and they fit. Unless you have fabricating and computer skills I would let other people go first. You will need lots of help and those brave souls are the ones that will be there.

engine small.jpg

I had one of the last variants in my 2001 P38 RR - by then it was a 4.6l with 9.37:1 compression which BMW upgraded with all Bosch electronics (no Lucas), a tuned intake manifold & Motronic M5.2.1 (from the 7 series). It only put out 230 horses but close to 300 torques.

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

So...as was pointed out, that's a pretty old (but good) design.  And you'd find it a lot easier to find one from an old Buick Special than try to score one from a Rover--unless of course you're in the UK...and regardless, it's gonna be a tight squeeze.

Those aluminum block Buick V8s are also popular with airplane people, both as upgrades to some mfgr airplanes and powerplants for homebuilts as well. Good power to weight ratio, low vibration levels and at one time ... low cost. Finding one now days  will be a tight squeeze for sure.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris