• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replica Camshaft Install Special Tool?

Mucci

I will produce a slightly modified version.

materials are bought, old cylinder head is available for fitment. New cylinders heads are available for testing :)

if all goes well I might consider to make some more and sell them from The Netherlands.

will keep you informed on progress.

• Like 3

I just receive the one from Tomphot with plans to have a fabrication buddy of mine make some replicas.  If we get that done successfully I'll have have him make a batch to sell, or, if we get tired after making just one or two of them, then I'll lend them out to FAQers for the cost of shipping.  So PM me if you need one, and let me know if you're more interested in buying your own copy or if you'd rather just borrow one temporarily (and your timeframe accordingly) so that I can make up a list/plan for all you good people!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I'll have have him make a batch to sell

These were made commercially but 2002 owners are such tight wads, they were copied to the point where selling them went away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

5 hours ago, jimk said:

These were made commercially but 2002 owners are such tight wads, they were copied to the point where selling them went away.

I bought mine from Rob Torres of 2002Haus (and have loaned it out a few times).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

These were made commercially but 2002 owners are such tight wads,

In the 90's, and even through the 'oughts,

the 2002 was a cheap car.  With an expensive (relatively) low tech engine.

It didn't make sense to spend the cost of a head refresh on a specialty tool

that you'd use once or twice, and anyway didn't do anything you really needed:

if the head went to the machinist, they disassembled it.

I've taken apart 2 dozen or so heads, and I've used the tool ONCE.  And since I wasn't paying

attention- since 'the tool does everything'- I managed to bend a couple valves with it.

So I gave it back and went back to doing it the 'slow way' that didn't take much longer.

Now that the 2002 is a '2%' car, bitching and moaning that the other 98% 

'didn't have the money to maintain them right' is kind of off- putting.

t

no longer able to afford a 2002.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 minutes ago, TobyB said:

So I gave it back and went back to doing it the 'slow way' that didn't take much longer.

Toby, what's the 'slow way'? The first head I did on the floor of my dorm room i used my roommate and a bunch of Allen wrenches jammed in the rockers while trying to spin the cam and back it out one cylinder at a time. It was awful. Eventually got it out but was a terrible experience and not to be repeated. So what's the trick?!

…and to your point Toby, the fact that these cars are appreciating is the only reason Im spending the time to bring this heap back from the dead. 

There’s something nice about dumping a bunch of time into a project and knowing I’m not totally setting the money on fire. That’s a first for me…

• Haha 1

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

I've taken apart 2 dozen or so heads, and I've used the tool ONCE.  And since I wasn't paying

attention- since 'the tool does everything'- I managed to bend a couple valves with it.

3 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Toby, what's the 'slow way'?

The ‘slow’ method is to remove the rocker shafts/rockers/assemblies before the camshaft, and reverse for reassembly, obviously. I’ve got rough instructions written-up, future plan is to film the process (the time it would take to write proper instructions is beyond my budget).

Worth noting is that in ‘stock’ form, the OEM and aftermarket cam tool (as sold) will damage IE’s HD rocker arms (IE didn’t plan for this (not surprised they skipped that detail (necessary or not)). -KB

• Like 1